Is anyone aware of anything that can make the curve a push to talk to device? i seen something called hipvoice. but have yet to hear back from them. i have the sprint 8330 and our company uses the nextel phones. only things i could find on google are hipvoice(software) and something called kodiak (which appears to be some techknowlodgy and not a software app). the hipvoice looks interesting. if only they would respond back.

i looked at the blackberry 8350. but it has it's flaws. such as slower internet due to being IDEN. instead of EVDO.
    05-03-09 01:47 PM
    If you hear back please keep us updated. I would be interested in this app as well.
    05-03-09 02:03 PM
    Try to do a search. There was a small post about this before. If I remember correct basically when u hit the ptt button it records what u say then sends it via email or text to the person and so forth. So it is not really a live convo. Its delayed by a few seconds. Better off just calling.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-09 02:36 PM
    Try to do a search. There was a small post about this before. If I remember correct basically when u hit the ptt button it records what u say then sends it via email or text to the person and so forth. So it is not really a live convo. Its delayed by a few seconds. Better off just calling.

as far as push to talk works on most phones, you are correct, you push a button, it records what you want to say and that gets sent to another phone which then plays the message. the poster mentioned that his company uses nextel's and unfortunately i believe that their push to talk network (iden) is completely different, hardware and software, not just an application. their push to talk is a more walkie talkie experiance. im not an expert but im pretty sure that for your blackberry to talk on the push to talk network with other nextell phones, it needs to be one of the blackberry's that are specific to nextell/sprint with the iden technology in them.
    05-03-09 02:43 PM
    I'm using an 8350i nextel bb and I can tell you the internet is not much slower than a non 3g phone. The phone is real stable now due to the updated software. If you have to have ptt this is the best and really only capable unit on the bb side. You will not be able to have a 3rd part app for ptt and communicate with a nextel phone. As another poster said, its on the iden network and can't comingle with other socalled ptt phones. You should give it a testrun, I think you would be pleasantly surprised. The ptt on this is instant which is very handy when calling isn't an option. I hope I explained this good for u

05-03-09 03:04 PM
    a delay would be acceptable if it's a couple of seconds. if it's couple of minutes then that would be another story. hipvoice websight has a youtube video. it claims to be able to talk to any carrier. they demo the software on a verizon curve going to an att curve and back. it was about 2 seconds delay. but was a live conversation. (cdma to gsm)

and how much NOT slower then non 3gphones. as a comparison. verizon 3g storm is slow compared to the non 3g curve. even my old 700wx winmo ran circles around the storm. i use internet quite a bit. and most of THAT usage is gps. if the 8350 was comparable to 8330. i would seriously consider it. i can't complain about the speed. but if the 8350 is comparable to the storm. no thanks. gps didn't cut the mustard.

at my house test speed using phone as a modem and speedtest.net website.
    storm= 75kbps full signal
    700wx=223kbps one bar, two bars if lucky.
    8330= 456kbps three out of 5 bars.

yes the sprint curve gives better signal then sprint 700. that thing was the pits at home.
    Last edited by snowwy66; 05-03-09 at 05:41 PM.
    05-03-09 05:38 PM
    From what I see on their site, you will have to have the hipvoice software installed on all of the phones that you need PTT capability with. It won't just work from Hipvoice to iDEN. All of the devices need to have the software on it. You should probably just get an 8350i if you need a blackberry with PTT so badly.
    05-03-09 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD