Hi all,

Having a few problems (well I think) with the push/instant e-mail.

Currently got the �5 instant e-mail from T Mobile, as well as their Web and Walk thing.

However, two things... on the 'desktop' of my BB it shows (1) Uni E-mail... but when I check in the account inbox... there isn't a new one? Why does it say there is?

Secondly, I thought if it was an IMAP server... the e-mail comes pretty much instantly? (Both servers were set as IMAP where I'm receiving the e-mail from)... any ideas on this one?

Many thanks for your help!
    02-27-08 04:28 PM
    Hello & welcome to CB.

Go to your inbox, hit the menu key ( the one with BB motif) scroll down to view folder and look in the folders there.
    02-27-08 04:33 PM
    Thanks for the welcome!

It's weird... checked all the folders... nothing! Unless I'm missing something heh.

Also... just did a search for 'Unopened' items... and still nothing :S lol
    02-27-08 04:41 PM
    OK... removed my battery and put it in again... problem solved!

One more thing... which is faster, POP3 or IMAP? (At getting it to the BB).

I can't seem to set my mail accounts up as POP3 - they automatically go as IMAP, yet in my Mail on mac they're are BOTH under POP3... I've actually heard POP3 is faster than IMAP?

Cheers
    02-27-08 07:15 PM
    Neither protocol is 'faster' but with pop you generally set your client to poll the mail servers whereas imap is a persistent connection... If you're using BIS the delivery should be instant either way and I don't even recall being able to specify pop or imap through it. Are you refering to a different delivery service?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-08 08:57 PM
    I'm not sure... I believe I have BIS (T Mobile UK charge me �5 a month for 'Instant E-mail') but I'm not too sure.

If not, how would I get BIS?

As for delivery times, there's usually a 10-15 minute delay in e-mails? Or is that just me being fussy !
    02-28-08 04:16 AM
    You could forward your uni email to a new gmail account and set the reply address to the original accout. That would give you true push email.

02-28-08 06:02 AM
    I'm not sure... I believe I have BIS (T Mobile UK charge me �5 a month for 'Instant E-mail') but I'm not too sure.

If not, how would I get BIS?

As for delivery times, there's usually a 10-15 minute delay in e-mails? Or is that just me being fussy !
    It actually sounds like you don't have BIS set up but are instead using some other application/service that they offer. BIS is usually included with the BlackBerry data plans that cost around $20-$30 USD per month. You might want to call and ask what you have. Do you get internet access on your Berry? If not, you probably don't have BIS.

How did you set up your email address? Did you set it up on some website or in a application on your Berry. If the latter, what was the application called?

Delivery times for my Gmail account set up through BIS take only seconds to arrive on my Berry from when Gmail receives them.
    02-28-08 06:26 AM
    I've set up the e-mails through:

instantemail.t-mobile.co.uk

So that isn't BIS?

Also, on the status screen, it does show 'Blackberry Internet Service: not connected'?
    02-28-08 06:35 AM
    I've set up the e-mails through:

instantemail.t-mobile.co.uk

So that isn't BIS?

Also, on the status screen, it does show 'Blackberry Internet Service: not connected'?
    Looks like BIS to me! Maybe they've crippled your BIS access to include only email and not data as well. You don't have internet access, do you? You might want to call T-Mobile to see exactly what service you have and whether your 'instant email' should have delays like that.
    02-28-08 06:50 AM
    I do have internet access... but I believe through something called 'Web n Walk', I then pay an extra �5 for the instant e-mail.

But yeah, it's hardly instant if I'm waiting for a while heh.
    02-28-08 06:58 AM
    Spoke to them... and apparantly I do have BIS... so I'm allowed to use BBMessenger and they've got to enable me to use BB Maps... which they've done.

Apparantly there is also a 10-20 minute wait for e-mails to come from POP/IMAP... which is quicker, IMAP or POP... and how do I change this at the instantemail website?
    02-28-08 09:30 AM
    which is quicker, IMAP or POP... and how do I change this at the instantemail website?
    You don't get to choose which protocol to connect to an account with when setting up an address in BIS. It's possible that the accounts you're adding don't support IMAP and are getting set up as POP because of that.

Have you enabled IMAP on your Gmail? You can do this by clicking the 'Settings' link at the top of your Gmail page. From there, click 'Forwarding and POP/IMAP' and then choose to enable IMAP.

Delete your Gmail account from BIS and then re-add it. See if that clears it up for you.
    02-28-08 09:42 AM
    Hmmm, the servers are being put down as imap, but I thought they were pop3, infact I'm sure my uni email is a pop3 server.

Don't have a gmail account but going to create one and try that.

Does anyone else experience 10 to 20 min waits for emails from other pop or imap servers added to BIS. Think I'm being impatient heh.

02-28-08 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD