Hey guys,

I'm currently using a Verizon 8330 with 4.5.0.175, and I have a few questions.

1. I'm trying to edit my profile, and I put the profile first on normal. When I went to change the ringtone, I can just scroll to ringtone X and it would play X automatically, and when I scroll to Y it would play Y. Then I went to edit the "Loud" profile, and the phone just stopped playing the ringtones all together. The Out/In of Holster section has "Tone" selected, and Volume section is not on mute. What's wrong and how can I fix this?

2. Under Advanced Profiles, what does Browser sound do? And is there a profile that lets me mute all sounds except Alarm?

3. The brightness on my screen sometimes dims by itself even when I'm using it, and when I'm not using it, it becomes bright again. How can I fix this?

Thanks guys!

Hunter
    12-28-10 09:06 PM
    Hey guys,

I'm currently using a Verizon 8330 with 4.5.0.175, and I have a few questions.

1. I'm trying to edit my profile, and I put the profile first on normal. When I went to change the ringtone, I can just scroll to ringtone X and it would play X automatically, and when I scroll to Y it would play Y. Then I went to edit the "Loud" profile, and the phone just stopped playing the ringtones all together. The Out/In of Holster section has "Tone" selected, and Volume section is not on mute. What's wrong and how can I fix this?

2. Under Advanced Profiles, what does Browser sound do? And is there a profile that lets me mute all sounds except Alarm?

3. The brightness on my screen sometimes dims by itself even when I'm using it, and when I'm not using it, it becomes bright again. How can I fix this?

Thanks guys!

Hunter
    1. Make sure that up at the top you have the alert type set to "Tone." If I remember correctly at the top there's a drop down for alert type and it gives you the options for none, tone, vibrate, tone+vibrate. Make sure you have it set to tone. (It's been a while since I've played with an 8320, I could be totally wrong on this, And you did say you have the in/out of holster section both set to tone, which could be the same thing I'm trying to say.)

2. The browser sound is for a browser alert. Now, I've never received a browser alert, so I don't really know what it's for.
    No, you can't set a profile that will mute all other sounds except for the alarm. You would need to upgrade to 5.0 in order to get that functionality. You can create your own custom profiles in 5.0, and you also get the addition of "Bedside Mode" witch dims your BB screen, and sets a particular profile until you turn off bedside mode. For instance, when I enter bedside mode, my profile changes to "phone only." My alarm still goes off. Actually, if you set your profile to mute all alerts, your alarm should still go off, as I believe it is seperate from your alert profiles. I'd do a test and make sure.

3. When you say your brightness changes, is it only when the screen is powered on, or does it happen randomly? For instance, if your phone has been sitting for a half hour, does the screen randomly power up? Say after you send a message, and you set your phone down and the screen is still on, does the brightness increase then?

Your BB has a light sensor built into it that adjusts the brightness of the screen based on the light conditions. You can disable this by going to Options>Screen and Keyboard, and change the option to automatically dim backlight to off.

*EDIT* Sorry if I'm not a whole lot of help, my mind went blank on me. I found a screen shot online, and you are doing the right thing if you have both In Holster and Out of Holster set to Tone. Do this, set the tones that you want like you would normally, even though they aren't playing a sample when you highlight them in the menu, and select save. Then send yourself a test message while using the Loud profile. See if the tone plays. If I remember correctly I had a similar issue on my old 8330, sometimes it wouldn't play a sample clip when I scrolled over a particular ringtone, but it would play the right tone when I recieved the message it corresponded to.
    Last edited by elvin1983; 12-29-10 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Because I'm stupid.
    12-29-10 08:54 AM
    1. Tone is set for both in and out of holster, volume is set to medium for both, and ringtone is the same for both as well.

3. The brightness changes only when I'm using it.

I just sent myself some texts and emails using Normal, Loud, and Vibrate. The phone only vibrates but no sounds come out.
    12-29-10 09:08 AM
    Update: battery pull did not help.
    12-29-10 09:28 AM
    Hmmm, how strange.

Is this a brand new device or have you had it for a while? Have you recently done an OS upgrade?

You say that on all your profiles you get no audio, even Normal?
    12-29-10 10:46 AM
    A friend has been using this for a while, then she gave it to me as a Christmas present because she switched provider. The OS is 4.5.0.175, and it's what came with the phone when I received it.
    I get no audio on any profiles, but just a few hours ago, audio started working again out of the blue.
    12-29-10 11:13 AM
    Wow.
    Well if I had to take a shot in the dark I would say you could reload the OS on the device, could be some sort of OS glitch or something.

If you're feeling froggy, you could always jump onto 5.0 or something like that, just for fun. Since she gave it to you as a Christmas present, you're not under any kind of warranty or anything, and the worst that could happen is you'd have to reload the original 4.5 anyways... You could even try a hybrid if you want, I never have but others have said they like the results...
    12-29-10 11:22 AM
    Also, meant to ask, did the screen brightness tip that I mentioned in my first post help you at all? Since it only happens when you use the device that would be the first thing I would look to, the settings. I mean.
    12-29-10 11:56 AM
    Yep the screen is back to normal now. But the audio is still messed up. It was good for a few hours before but now it stopped working again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-10 02:18 PM
    Yeah, I'd try either re-loading the OS or upgrading to a different OS all together...
    12-29-10 02:37 PM
    I heard OS5 is slow on the 8330. How would I reload my current O.S.?
    12-29-10 02:53 PM
    Just did another battery pull, it works now
    12-29-10 08:27 PM
    Re your "Loud" profile not working, always make sure "Do Not Disturb" is set to "No" if you want your ringer(s) to work. Also, your alarm will still work when using the "Quiet" and "Off" profiles whereas no other sounds will.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-10 11:06 PM
    I heard OS5 is slow on the 8330. How would I reload my current O.S.?
    I loaded 5.0 on an 8330 for a buddy once, and he didn't have many problems with it running slow, his main complaint was the lack of available application memory. I think after I loaded it he had about 21mb free...

It's possible that you'd have to wipe your device using BBSAK or something like that. To be honest I've never had to do that. I would imagine that you could simply reload the OS using DM.

Just did another battery pull, it works now
    Fantastic! Keep us updated on what happens!
    12-30-10 08:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD