As a BB noobe I have been very impressed with my new phone . However, I am very surprised that a very basic function is noticeably deficient. Most business users, like the general public, enjoy the advance notice a caller specific ringtone gives. Additionally, most business users often find themselves in situations (meetings, business lunches, etc.) where a ringing phone would be very impolite and intrusive. From my limited experience with my Curve, it seems that the only way to have both functions is to be burdened with remembering to uncheck every single caller assigned ringtone (exceptions) in the vibrate profile . . . and later remembering to re-check every single one to go back to normal profile. For many individuals this ritual may be required many times a day.

Although I do not consider myself a business user, I am often in a courtroom where, if my phone rings, the judge takes my phone and donates it to charity. For this reason, I have opted to always keep my phone in the vibrate profile with no exceptions.

If I am wrong in my analysis, I would be happy to hear from you. Additionally, if I am correct, I would love to hear of any "work around" that you may have found. Although I am not a programmer, it seems that it would not be too difficult to create a button that would uncheck all exceptions and change profile to vibrate, and another button that would re-check all exceptions and change profile to normal. I have yet to find such a third party program.

Thank you for any assistance that you can provide.
    10-01-08 06:55 PM
    That was more than I thought it would be at first pass. For setting custom ringtones for each caller you can do that in the address book. Using the menu key will provide the option for add custom ringtone. For overriding the profiles my ritual consists of custom rings for all my addressees and I change the profile to vibrate at work if I am in a meeting. I have the phone set to vibrate 4 times if I get a call so I can tell its a call from my wife or daycare. I just peek at it. When I am not there I change the profile to normal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-08 07:04 PM
    Welcome to CB!
    You can do that! Here are some good links. Also, you can set individual ringtones through address book.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ications-1623/

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...-notifications
    10-01-08 07:09 PM
    When I set ringtone exceptions in "normal" profile and then changed to vibrate, I still see the exceptions there and assumed it would still play the ringtones while in vibrate. It seems that is not the case.

Thank you for your replys!
    10-01-08 07:37 PM
    Well, Counselor, there is SO much to learn about your Berry - and you are in good company. We've all been down the same road and most of us have asked (or searched the forums!) to get the same answers. Hey, you'll probably read a post before long that your expertise can assist someone with. We're all helping, learning, and sharing here. Welcome to CB!!
    10-01-08 08:01 PM
    Something I discovered too is there is a way to make an exception to ignore any active profile. Say for instance at night you use the silence profile but you want someone to be able to contact you in an emergency 24/7. I made a couple like this for when say my parents need to contact for an emergency.
    10-05-08 08:10 PM
    From another fellow court-going crackberry addict, it is my recommendation that you customize your profile to vibrate "in holster" and ring "out of holster" - and keep your BB in a holster while in court. Case closed.
    10-06-08 05:22 AM
    Say for instance at night you use the silence profile but you want someone to be able to contact you in an emergency 24/7.
    I use the Phone Only profile. That way I don't wake up in the middle of the night to some random forwarded email from my great aunt or something.
    10-06-08 07:27 AM
    I use the Phone Only profile. That way I don't wake up in the middle of the night to some random forwarded email from my great aunt or something.
    Well the problem for me is I get other calls when I'm sleeping so I have to make an exception for emergency 24/7 contacts. I figured I'm not the only one that this happens to and I don't know if others are aware it is possible to create an exception to silent mode.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-06-08 10:35 AM
    That was more than I thought it would be at first pass. For setting custom ringtones for each caller you can do that in the address book. Using the menu key will provide the option for add custom ringtone. For overriding the profiles my ritual consists of custom rings for all my addressees and I change the profile to vibrate at work if I am in a meeting. I have the phone set to vibrate 4 times if I get a call so I can tell its a call from my wife or daycare. I just peek at it. When I am not there I change the profile to normal.

Lets say I set a custom tone for my wife calls. I know that tone will ring when my BB is in the normal profile, but if I change to the vibrate profile will the custom tone ring or will it vibrate?
    02-04-09 03:10 AM
    It will vibrate. Vibrate and quite are the 2 profiles where no exceptions apply.

02-12-09 05:36 AM
    You can also create your own custom profile in the profile menu. Call it Court Room, or Mean Judge or something and set all your preferences in there, then just change it to your regular "everyday" profile.
    02-12-09 09:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD