I have Exceptions to Profiles (i.e., custom ringtones) for various people & businesses in my Address Book. All is well and good, and everything works as it is supposed to - then I reinstall my operating system, either because I want to upgrade, downgrade, or just because it helps even more than a battery pull to get garbage out of my BlackBerry (it's kind of a drastic solution to garbage, so I don't do that much more than once every two months or so).

What happens is that I reinstall my operating system to my BlackBerry - and I lose all my Exceptions to Profiles. After the last time, I made a memo file that lists my people and what ringtones I want for them, and then redid the Exceptions to Profiles from scratch.

What I am asking my peers here at CrackBerry is - are the Exceptions to Profiles saved on a file on the BlackBerry that I can access and save before I do a reinstall, and then restore once I've done the install, so that I don't have to do all my Exceptions to Profiles all over again? (And if this is doable, tell me how to do it; I'm reasonably ept at messing with my BlackBerry, but I am not an expert in ComputerSpeak.)
    11-11-08 01:21 PM
    Same exact problem here. I started another thread on this before seeing it here. (http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/pro...issues-113186/)

Here's the process:
    Connect to your desktop. Use the desktop software. Navigate to 'Backup and Restore' --> Advanced. Your device will load in the right side. Scroll down till you see Profiles and Profile Options. Use control key and mouse to highlight both. Then click the arrows in the center that point to the left to copy highlighted items to your computer. Once done click File->SaveAs and save the backup file that can be used to restore your profiles.

BUT.......

See the rest of my story at the link above.

Hope that helped....to a point, I guess.
    12-10-08 11:22 PM
    My custom profiles come back after restoring them with DM. However, from time to time, mysteriously, the names in the exceptions get deleted. It seems to happen randomly. I have to manually go in and re-input the name. Luckily, I don't have a ton of exeptions.
    12-11-08 12:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD