I followed the instructions for making profile exceptions. I created a custom sound profile and then profile exceptions for the people I wanted to set custom text tones for. However, when they send me text messages, I still only get the sound I set as default for text messages.

Thanks...
    04-01-09 03:36 PM
    This does work pay close attention to step 5

Go to the Profiles options, scroll and click Advanced

Once you click Advanced all your different profile should show up, press the Menu button and scroll and selcect New Profile

Give your profile a name, I put the contact I was adding a ringtone for, for example I'll use "jane". type Jane(or watever) into the name line. Next you want to change your custom settings for this for this contact. If it's just the ringtone and text message tone you want to change scroll Phone and SMS text and change the ringtone to your preference. After you've made all your wanted changes, press the trackball and save.

After you save it should take you back to the screen with a list of your profiles and Jane should appear in that list. Next click the Menu button once more and scroll and click New Exception

In the exception line you might also want to type the name of the contact. Next scroll to the From line, click your trackball and go to add name. Scroll and click the contact(s) you want to have the ringtones you just customized. After you've added the names, scroll to the use profile line, it should have Active Profile, click your trackball and scroll to the new profile you just added. Click trackball and save

this will take you back to the profile home. the exception must be checked in order for it to override whatever profile you have active.

the exception will override silent and vibrate modes, so uncheck the exceptions if you are going into those modes, or you can simply chose the profile that says phone off, it will cancel out the exceptions, but this profile can't be modified

Good luck
    Last edited by Tremortality; 04-01-09 at 04:04 PM.
    04-01-09 04:01 PM
    I'll try it.

Do you have to make a different sound profile for each exception, or can you just make one custom one and base all your exceptions off it?
    04-01-09 04:15 PM
    I am a little confused here. What is the point of a custom text ringtone for all texts instead of the default SMS tone - that would null needing an exception....
    04-01-09 04:19 PM
    I am a little confused here. What is the point of a custom text ringtone for all texts instead of the default SMS tone - that would null needing an exception....
    Trem,

I figured out how to set up the "custom" sms tones and they work fine.. Question is, what if I want to change the sms tone for an individual? How would I edit that and change it?
    04-01-09 04:23 PM
    Is the person already set up for the custom tone?
    Just edit the profile/exception where you were when creating it and picking the tone - edit that part, save.
    04-01-09 04:25 PM
    Is the person already set up for the custom tone?
    Just edit the profile/exception where you were when creating it and picking the tone - edit that part, save.
    Yes, hers is "Hells Bells" lol... I want someting a little tamer..
    04-01-09 04:27 PM
    Yes, hers is "Hells Bells" lol... I want someting a little tamer..
    Well lol just choose a new ringtone. If you have it already on the phone its a quick fix - reverse the setup procedure etc (edit). Good luck picking a tamer tone - should be easy compared to AC/DC
    04-01-09 04:30 PM
    Thanks a billion!!! Its been bothering me and it took me like 30secs a contact!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-10 04:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD