I was having problems with the trackball on my Curve 8330, and just replaced it with a new trackball. I'm still having intermittent difficulty with downward scrolling (the pointer becomes stuck and will not move down). When I swapped the trackballs, I cleaned out the contacts underneath with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Are there other known causes for this type of problem?

Thanks
    04-22-10 06:16 PM
    Moisture is the most likely scenario.
    04-22-10 06:17 PM
    If it's moisture, would you recommend taking out the trackball and letting it air out? Or is that not adequate to dry it out?
    04-22-10 06:26 PM
    Did you put the ring back in the right way, I didn't once and had the same problem.
    Also did you just buy a new ball or did you buy a whole new housing and ring kit? Usually your ball isn't the problem its the little rollers that go dead or bald so replacing a ball won't fix dead rollers.
    You can buy a whole new ball with housing and ring for less the $10 so I'd do that, its a drop in oem fix that works like a charm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-10 03:02 AM
    Changed your thread title. "Q" really does does not give any indication what your
    specific issue is.
    04-23-10 03:17 AM
    If it's moisture, would you recommend taking out the trackball and letting it air out? Or is that not adequate to dry it out?
    It's possible that the underlying circuit board had moisture damage that contributed to the original issue. If that's the case, it's not repairable without changing the mainboard.
    04-23-10 06:10 AM
    Thanks. I did indeed install a new trackball.
    Thanks for changing the thread title -- I had initially typed a long title very specific to the problem but maybe it somehow truncated (even though it didn't begin with a Q)
    04-23-10 07:26 AM
    accidental repost, sorry
    04-23-10 07:28 AM
    interestin......i will post in here wit a diff prob...
    my trackball jus stops workin on certain things..... eg, bbm sumtimes i go on a contacts profile and click on the pic but it doesnt select it.....i can select other apps, etc bt nothin in bbm.....i normally hav to do a battery pull to resolve the issue.

an idea wt could b causin this or it is jus like a lil freeze when chattin to much
    04-23-10 10:14 AM
    I've made a few more attempts at trying to dry out the unit with compressed air, to no avail. It's still just the one direction (down) that is a problem -- until I flipped the trackball 180 degrees this morning, then the up direction was the problem.
    Any other ideas on what I can do to remedy this? It's driving me nuts.

Thanks
    04-28-10 07:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD