Did a search but didn't quite find what I was looking for, so I'm going to just ask here. Thanks in advance.

I have the newest version of desktop manager, and these are the steps I took to install my new OS:

1. Downloaded the OS I wanted and installed it onto my PC.
    2. Connected BB via USB and opened DM...

The problem is I was never prompted to install the new OS by the DM... Is there a way around that or am I missing something?
    06-28-08 12:02 PM
    make sure you deleted the old OS off your comp..go to C:\programfiles\commonfiles\researchinmotion\applo ader and delete the Vendor XML file..connect BB it should propmt for update
    06-28-08 12:04 PM
    If it doesn't prompt for upgrade, open app loader and that should trigger it.
    06-28-08 12:10 PM
    Did you backup your device first? Did you launch the Application Loader?

BB OS Upgrade
    06-28-08 12:10 PM
    ^^thanks guys^^^
    06-28-08 12:12 PM
    Thanks alot everyone, I did what you said Jason. As to everyone else I have done those steps. Now it seems my DM will not recognize my BB or I just can't connect? Either way I'm going to try re-installing the DM and see if that helps.

Thanks again everyone!
    06-28-08 12:18 PM
    i'm right there with you. My DM won't reconize my OS update either and all anyone will tell me is to delete the vendor file. I have done that repeatably and still nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions OTHER than the basic install instructions as this does not appear to be the issue?
    06-28-08 12:49 PM
    Have either of you tried going to connection options
    and making sure DM is pointing to USB-XXXXXXXX
    (the x's are your PIN #)
    06-28-08 01:10 PM
    I did...I can sync outlook and apps. it just wont reconize the new os
    06-28-08 01:14 PM
    I did...I can sync outlook and apps. it just wont reconize the new os
    which OS do you have???
    06-28-08 01:15 PM
    try uninstalling both the OS and DM and reboot then reinstall DM then the OS. after that delete the vendor file and when you plug in your phone and open DM you should get a popup asking about installing the new OS
    06-28-08 01:19 PM
    This thread may hold the solution to your problems: http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/usb...ng-fine-45338/
    06-28-08 01:24 PM
    OK, I figured it out!!! You have to go in through the back door.

For some reason even though i was deleting the vendor file..it was still there but i couldn't see it...

open DM/connect bb/go to app loader/browse/program files/common files/research in motion/app loader...you will see the vendor file...DELETE IT WHILE IN DM...then go back to main menu...LEAVE CM OPEN...unconnect bb and reconnect...it should reconize it. YEAH!!!!
    06-28-08 03:56 PM
    Got mine figured out yesterday as well, just needed to uninstall/reinstall DM and restart my PC. Thanks again to everyone for their input. Most appreciated.
    06-29-08 12:37 PM
    how do u deleted the vendor.xml file...i keep hearing that i need to do it but i have no clue how. how do i get to it to delete?
    06-29-08 01:44 PM
    how do u deleted the vendor.xml file...i keep hearing that i need to do it but i have no clue how. how do i get to it to delete?
    p.s. i'm trying to download the BlackBerry Curve 8310 - Software Version 4.5.0.37 OS system
    06-29-08 01:46 PM
    C:\programFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Share d\Apploader the vendor xml files is on the bottom right
    06-29-08 01:59 PM
    make sure you deleted the old OS off your comp..go to C:\programfiles\commonfiles\researchinmotion\applo ader and delete the Vendor XML file..connect BB it should propmt for update
    Thanks, I was ready to smash my computer because it wasn't noticing the new os. Imagine that a grown man yelling at his computer, man I feel embarrassed
    06-29-08 04:53 PM
    It should not be necessary to delete the old OS off your computer. If you do, you make it much much harder to roll back if there's a problem with the new OS, because it can be hard to find the old version to reinstall. Another user was having that problem yesterday. If you leave the old OS on your computer, all you have to do is delete the new OS and re-run the App Loader to roll back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-08 05:50 PM
    So I installed the 4.5 OS and seems like it is stuck on connecting to device, I deleted the vendor file, and it wanted me to update like everyone said it would. It's been stuck on the connecting to device now for a half hour and hasn't moved. Do I just have to wait longer, is this a normal wait?
    06-29-08 05:53 PM
    my new os wont appear in my app loader, is there something im missing
    06-29-08 07:29 PM
    is there a special place on my computer im supposed to save the new os in order for it to be accesible
    06-29-08 07:55 PM
    is there a special place on my computer im supposed to save the new os in order for it to be accesible
    Just save it someplace convenient. Then double-click the file you downloaded and it will install the OS on your computer. When it's done, use the Windows control panel to verify that you have both the Desktop Manager and the OS installed on your computer. You will have two blackberry files in your installed programs list.
    06-29-08 08:03 PM
    C: / Program Files / Common Files / Research in Motion / AppLoader / Vendor.xml

The simplest way is to use Windows file manager, but you can also do it from Applications Loader.

open DM/connect bb/go to app loader/browse/program files/common files/research in motion/app loader...you will see the vendor file...DELETE IT WHILE IN DM...then go back to main menu...LEAVE CM OPEN...unconnect bb and reconnect...it should reconize it.
    06-29-08 08:19 PM
    thank you!!
    06-29-08 08:19 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD