not sure if this is the correct forum, but im gonna start here...

and yes i have searched the internet and this website, couldnt find anything...

so i have a curve, which i normally charge through the USB connection on my computer. i also have an INEO external twin HD enclosure. any time i disconnect my blackberry from my computer (both just unplugging it, and using the "saftely disconnect hardware" button) my harddrive just disappears. to get it to work again i have to leave it unplugged for about 20 minutes and then plug it back in and its fine.

does anyone else have any problems with USB devices dieing when they unplug their BB, or is my machine just being wierd? thanks for the help in advance

...skeeter...
    04-15-09 01:51 PM
    usb1? usb2?
    What brand of motherboard? Are there new usb drivers on their website?
    Try plugging both the hard drive and blackberry in a different computer, see if it happens there, try a mac, try a pc, try a few different scenarios.
    04-15-09 01:58 PM
    Are you using USB ports in the PC, or a USB hub? I have a Western Digital USB external hard drive, and haven't experienced any issues.
    04-15-09 01:59 PM
    im using USB2, with all current drivers, updated two weeks ago. and im using the USB ports right on the mobo. i switch the BB to a front usb port, same problem. did every combo of usb ports that is available on my machine, still exists. guess im gonna try to replicate the problem on my roommates computer when he gets home.

thanks guys

...skeeter...
    04-15-09 02:05 PM
    Hi!

New B here. lol I have had a similar issue. USB's are very voltage sensitive. I have some equipment I use that will NOT work correctly at ALL when I have my plate cooler plugged in. Cooler + doodad = all kinds of flaky, buggy behavior. Doodad alone = not a prob.

Some things even have a splitter and an adapter to sink more current into the system.

Could this be your problem?

-Shawn
    04-15-09 02:17 PM
    As a workaround, try 'safely removing' the external HD 1st, then the BB, and see if you can remount the HD after about a minute. Does sound like a bus power issue.
    04-19-09 05:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD