Currently I'm running a Blackberry 8320 OS 4.5 on a Fido service plan. Recently after the purchase of the phone, occasionally my phone would be completely muted so that I cannot hear the dialing tone when I am making my call out. When it displays that I am connected, I don't even realize because I can't hear anything on the phone nor can I say anything for the other side to hear. Also, sometimes my calls would mute in the middle of a conversation. In such case, I would not be able to hear anything that the other person is saying, or vice versa. This is not the only muting issue that is happening with my phone. In the music player, the songs would play for a random period of time and suddenly mute while the time of the song continues to progress. However, if i push the voice dial button on the side of the phone, I would be able to hear the voice on the speaker requesting for the voice dial. If I return to the music player after pushing the voice dial and hearing the voice on the speaker, the sound in the song would suddenly start up again. I have no idea what's happening with the phone, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

----
    Just an update,

I've also realized this annoying clicking noise that happens in both outgoing and incoming calls. The click is about half a second (sometimes more) of muting where both the caller and the person on the other end cannot hear anything. This constantly happens during any given call. There is a temporary solution to this however and that is to use the headset. It seems that if I plug the rim headset into the 3.5mm headphone jack, all the issues above go away. The phone functions perfectly fine. But this is not an acceptable solution as I am still very unsatisfied with the functionality of the phone.

What I have done so far (to no success of fixing this issue):

- Updated to latest OS, 4.5.0.176
    - Restarted the phone many times
    - Battery Pulls
    - Turned off wifi and any data connection
    - Removed many third party applications to open up space in my phone
    Last edited by vtsang; 03-03-09 at 07:47 PM.
    03-02-09 02:36 AM
    Is there anyone that can help or has run through the same issue as me? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
    03-03-09 08:18 PM
    I am having a similar problem. My phone has been muting during calls for quite a while now but never made the beep sound that you get when muting. I could hear the person perfectly but they could not hear me. I could not confirm that the phone was actually "muting" or simply losing connection.

Today it was doing the same thing during several call but they were far more frequently and I can not hear the beep noise of mute. It also now places the red X over the speaker symbol. Does this in random intervals. I can hit the mute button and unmute it but it continues to happen.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Nash
    06-15-09 07:14 PM
    I'm having an extremely similar issue. My earpiece goes dead in the middle of calls at random times. Sometimes it happens 5 times in a call, sometimes not for days. The way I've fixed it (temporarily) is to switch the speakerphone on & then back off immediately.

I've called AT&T about the problem & they make test calls, have me do battery pulls etc (they have no idea). All I can surmise is that it has something to do with the hardware/software mechanism that detects the wired headphones being plugged in or not. The reason I say this is that I've also had issues with the reverse of my problem but only at the beginning of a call (the headphones had no sound). This has not occured since I started having problems with the built in earpiece though, which leads me to believe that it is a hardware, not a software, issue.

Upon trying to get the handset replaced (yes, it is probably a refurb) AT&T keeps wanting the color of a sticker inside the battery compartment (which I assume is date-coded) to know if I am "eligible" for a "warranty replacement" but said sticker is not present (at all). I have had this handset for less than a year, so I'm gonna try to talk them into it without having to go through another "exception upgrade" which pushes back your service contract date (which they rarely clearly inform you about during the process).

Incidentally, any further input would be welcome.

BTW, my OS is ver 4.5.069 & the problem predates my upgrade to this version.
    07-14-09 05:19 PM
    I received a replacement device for the muting during music playback and have not had an issue since. I would suggest returning your device for a replacement.
    07-15-09 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD