I have just installed an 8GB chip so that I could start loading some CDs in wav format. Everything works fine and the sound quality is very good.

My problem is that I cannot figure out how to categorize by artist, album, genre, etc. No matter what I do, everything just gets lumped into "unkown" and I have to scroll through all the combined tracks to find what I want to listen to.

I have tried using Windows Media Player and Roxio both, but it still comes out the same. I have also tried ripping to the hard drive and manually copying over. It still lumps everything together, although I do see the album artwork when playing.

I know I must be missing somthing simple, so any help will be appreciated.

Wilson
    08-10-08 10:53 AM
    Are they purchased mp3s or downloaded? You may have to go into the properties and update the fields:

Artist
    Genre
    Album
    08-10-08 11:05 AM
    Thanks for the reply.

As I mentioned, I am ripping CDs, not downloading media. I have tried ripping directly to the BB and to the hard drive and doing a manual copy in Windows Explorer.

The fields are all updated when I view in Media Manager. The information just doesn't seem to be transferring to the BB.
    08-10-08 11:13 AM
    Surely someone has run into this before and has a solution.

As I said, media manager shows genre, artist, etc. fields have appropriate data. But when I copy to the 8320, only track title seems to be transfering. Selecting "artist" or any other category just displays "unknown". Then clicking on that just shows all track titles.

Please let me know if you have a solution.

Thanks.
    08-10-08 03:29 PM
    Found the problem.

You cannot get proper media control in BB if you use wav files. I decided to try ripping as mp3, just for kicks. Guess what. Works just fine. I can select by any category I wish.

Now, that means one of two things.

Either there is a bug in BB media management on board the 8320 that will be corrected so that we can use wav files properly.

Or, this is just another dumbing down of society, where quantity is more important than quality, so who the heck would want to use lossless audio when we can cram hundreds of hours of lousy sounding audio into the BB. :-)

Of course, that's all a philosophical discussion for another day . . .

Problem solved, sort of.
    Last edited by Wilson Jarvis; 08-10-08 at 08:55 PM.
    08-10-08 06:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD