While trying to connect an 8320 to PC via USB, the following message appears:

"Power Surge on Hub Port. A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port."

This happens regardless of what PC I attempt to connect the device. A preliminary search of "Blackberry + Power Surge on Hub Port" did not yield much, but has me leaning towards device memory overload. I have done a security wipe of the device, removing all third party apps on the device but it has done nothing to eliminate the error.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what is causing this? Much thanks!
    08-12-08 03:50 PM
    That is strange... it seems as if you are surging power back into your PC via the USB. Maybe try to remove the Battery from your Berry and connect without the battery in it and see what happens

Strange!
    08-12-08 03:54 PM
    That is strange... it seems as if you are surging power back into your PC via the USB. Maybe try to remove the Battery from your Berry and connect without the battery in it and see what happens

Strange!

doesn't that put the berry into boot mode?
    08-12-08 03:57 PM
    Here is what is happening here:

All standard USB ports are designed to supply a specific amount of power (0.5 Amps at 5 Volts). If this is exceeded, even momentarily, the PC will inform/complain that this has happened.

My Dell laptop does this regularly when I plug in my 8100 Pearl and never does it when I connect the 8310 Curve.

You do not need to worry about this at all. The BlackBerry draws as close to the maximum as possible. Some phones (one of mine, it seems) gets a bit too close for my PC.
    08-12-08 04:05 PM
    Also remember that the power output on the USB is a combined output not per port that is why a lot of the external USB HUBs are self powered. so i would recommend trying this without any other USB device plugged in.
    08-12-08 04:19 PM
    Also remember that the power output on the USB is a combined output not per port that is why a lot of the external USB HUBs are self powered. so i would recommend trying this without any other USB device plugged in.

thats what i was thinking
    08-12-08 04:22 PM
    There are no other USB devices plugged in to the computer. Also, I can connect other BB devices to the same USB port with no problem. This only happens with this particular device, and it has happened on 4 different computers. It has to be device related . . . .
    08-12-08 04:25 PM
    There are no other USB devices plugged in to the computer. Also, I can connect other BB devices to the same USB port with no problem. This only happens with this particular device, and it has happened on 4 different computers. It has to be device related . . . .
    Ok then I would say that it is the device. BB actually use more power then most USB devices and that is why RIM has a driver out there that will override the USB Power management that is built into Windows. without the driver winblows screams at me when I plug in the BB to my XP OS 1.8ghz centrino Dell but when I am running Suse no issues.

So you may be correct and it could be that BB is drawing too much power but it could also be an issue with the driver.
    08-12-08 05:50 PM
    So you may be correct and it could be that BB is drawing too much power but it could also be an issue with the driver.
    Wouldn't you think if it was an issue with the driver, that any BB that was connected would have the same problem? Hmm . . .

I think I am going to call RIM and see if they have any thoughts.

Thanks to all who responded. I will update if I hear anything from RIM.
    08-13-08 12:42 PM
    If it's specific to that single device, then it is the device.

Possibly something in the circuit, it's borderline and draws just a little too much power.
    08-13-08 02:00 PM
    OMG this happened to my DELL laptop too!!! But now the stupid error message just pops up all the time! I can't plug any USB devices into it! I did post my question about it too but couldnt find any info on it! It happened when I upgraded my OS to 4.5 on my BB Curve 8310! The upgrade was a success but just busted up my old laptop! I plug my BB into my lil' sis's DELL XPS laptop with no problems!
    Hey Daedalus....whats that RIM driver ur talkin' about and how can I get it?? You think if I bought one of those external multi-USB port things, it would help?? Please let me know!
    08-13-08 02:23 PM
    Did anyone find a solution to this problem? It just started doing it for me today after not having problems connecting before. last night I put in a storage card, so I thought that might have pushed the power draw over the brink, but when I took out the card it did the same thing...
    10-24-08 01:36 PM
    Bump... anyone?
    08-17-09 06:26 PM
    This happened to me yesterday. As it turns out, the port that the charger plugs into on the blackberry is bad. It blew out my wall charger and also gives the error while trying to connect the blackberry via USB to the PC. I took it to the T-Mobile store today and the guy told me that it's fairly common. Of course, mine waited to happen until just one month past my warranty date! So, I ordered the desktop charging pod to at least keep my battery charged until I can buy a new phone or get mine repaired.
    09-30-09 06:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD