Okay, I posted this on the AT&T forums, but you guys all probably know more, or will be willing to tell me more. Here are the answers I've received to my questions:

Q: So I forgot to select the option to transfer my current number (from T-Mobile) when I bought my new phone and plan online here. I really want to keep that number - it will be such a pain to try to contact everyone and let them know my new one, so is there a way to cancel my order, or to just switch back to my original number when I get my phone? I am at such a loss here.

A: Call customer care at 800-331-0500. They should be able to get your number ported. No matter what you have 30 days to cancel. Do not cancel your T-Mobile service yourself. To keep your number, let the porting process do that.

Q: Okay, because I also have to wait until Feb. 8th to port my number (my contract isn't up till then), but they still should be able to? I don't want to end up paying termination fees from t-mobile just because I switched too early. So since it's within a month, should I just call and have them transfer the number on the 9th?

A: Yes, you can still port your # as long as it's in the same local calling area as the # you were assigned by AT&T. When the T-Mobile contract is up, call the PAC (Port Activation Center) @ 888-898-7685. They can do a "port-in # change" to replace your original #. The # change can be done within minutes and the service can be fully transfered over within 3 hours.

A: But you may need a new unused simcard to ahve the number changed though, if you do then either the porting department can send one out in the mail to you, or you can go to a local AT&T Mobility store and get one there before you even call the PAC department as stated above.

SO, now you know what I know, but my question is, can I activate and use the new number they gave me until the time my contract is up, and they can still port the number? Or does the number have to be inactive?

I am also planning on unlocking the phone, so will that have any adverse effects? Help!
    01-25-08 11:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD