YES!!! It worked! Thank you to everyone who helped me out today! I greatly appreciate all your time!
    10-06-08 10:21 PM
    Fantastic! Glad we could help, and great that you were able to solve it! IT Policy problems are tough.

CrackMem is useful for other purposes besides wiping your phone. You'll need it when you optimize your memory as well.
    10-06-08 10:25 PM
    Alright!! High fives all around
    10-06-08 10:25 PM
    Hello All,

I have read this post and wonder if the same would work on an 8703e 4.2os.
    I had installed the Unite program on my personal (no BES) phone. I was able to remove the IT policy using JL_Cmder although the firewall is still locked. I dont believe there is a 4.5 os for my phone. Would you please outline the steps once again for me in one thread. I truly would appreciate your assistance..

The reason I would like to do this is I purchased HD Today theme and cannot get it to work. I purchased one stating it works on the 8703e with os 4.2. I even went through all the thread pertaining to making the today themes work on 8703's. I did everything that I was told (altering the alx file) and still no go although others reported they got it to work. So the only difference I believe between mine and theirs would be this firewall problem.
    01-23-09 09:08 AM
    Unfortunately the steps Pete outlined in Post #11 are the only way that I know. I checked the 87xx forum and you are correct, there is no OS4.5 shown there. There may be a beta that you could find by googling; I don't know.

Unite caused a lot of problems for a lot of people. Problems removing it led to the creation of cjcarbone's procedure, which is referenced earlier in this thread. Unfortunately, it also assumes you have OS4.5 available.
    01-23-09 09:47 AM
    Thank you for your reply. I will hunt around some more.
    01-23-09 10:19 AM
    Hey, this method works very well! I'm using Bold with OS 4.6.0.247. Thanks to all who spends tons of hours in devising a way to completely restore BB to 'out of factory' condition! No more locked firewall after forcing blank policy!
    05-14-09 11:00 AM
    I have now worked out how to reliably remove an IT Policy from any 8000 series BlackBerry phone. The fix can be quite drastic depending upon which OS you are running.

The IT POlicy was never intended to be removed other than by a BES admin so it does not come off easily.

JL_Cmder only removes (resettofactory) an IT Policy on OS 4.3 or above so if your phone is running OS 4.2 then you need to upgrade the OS to 4.5 (cuz that's what there is for this phone) before JL_Cmder can do its stuff.

To downgrade, simply uninstall OS 4.5 (but keep 4.2 installed) from your PC and Desktop Manager will prompt you to ask if it should downgrade.
    1. If you are running OS 4.3 or better

All you need is [snip] JL_Cmder and to Sync your phone and do a Backup before starting. Once this is done, shut down Desktop Manager and run up JL_Cmder. From the main screen select menu item 5 (resettofactory). Follow exactly the instructions given by JL_Cmder and then wait until the phone has re-booted. Now do a Restore and you should now see that the Firewall (Options, Security Options, Firewall) now has no little red lock against it.
    2. If you are running OS 4.2
      Sync your phone and do a Backup.
      Install and OS version greater than 4.2 (any version will do)
      Run JL_Cmder and select menu option 5
      Follow the instructions exactly.
      When the phone has rebooted check OPtions, Security Options, Firewall now has no little red lock against it.
      Re-install your old OS
      Do a Restore.
    I know that this proceedure is long and tedious but it does work reliably.
    Your post saved me! Thank you. This is a personal BB that is not on the BES, but when I connected it to the work computer to make a backup using Desktop Manager yesterday, that Firewall policy came down some how.

My questions are these:

1) Is it possible with AD policy to push down Blackberry changes through Desktop Manager?

2) How can we make a personal Blackberry not accept IT Policy's in the first place especially when it isn't on the BES? Is resistance futile?

Thanks.
    07-24-09 08:02 AM
    Your post saved me! Thank you. This is a personal BB that is not on the BES, but when I connected it to the work computer to make a backup using Desktop Manager yesterday, that Firewall policy came down some how.

My questions are these:

1) Is it possible with AD policy to push down Blackberry changes through Desktop Manager?

2) How can we make a personal Blackberry not accept IT Policy's in the first place especially when it isn't on the BES? Is resistance futile?

Thanks.
    If this is your personal blackberry, install DM on your personal computer that is not on the enterprise and back it up that way. You're probably violating your employer's IT security rules by connecting personal property to the enterprise anyway, plus you'll get the IT policy hassle. On BES, changes to your BlackBerry are pushed over the air and don't require a DM connection. I'm not familiar with the term AD Policy.
    07-24-09 09:21 AM
    Thank you JeffH. The problem here is that we are sometimes asked to work on personal Blackberries that the client says they also use for work purposes. Of course, they want to have the freedom of an unlocked system. I have no problem with letting them know that once it is in our environment then it become subject to our rules. In this last case scenario, I was merely backing up the Blackberry and had not joined it to the BES when I noticed several messages that stemmed from the activation of the firewall. I was looking for a way to reverse it since they needed their device back and we had not yet put it on the BES.

I also wanted to try to understand how a Firewall policy was enabled on a device that had not yet even touched our BES? I was wondering if Active Directory policy from the Domain could also be used?

Informative Posts:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/remo...y-phone-81401/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/crackutil-85617/
    Last edited by coffee-turtle; 07-30-09 at 12:11 PM. Reason: additional threads added
    07-24-09 10:36 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD