Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,226 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default IT Policy

I have an Alltel 8330 Curve 4.3.0.124 personal phone not a company phone with Empower Email Viewer Pro installed and today I enabled my firewall because of the FileLock app. So now when I open some Emails I get an error message saying " The application net_rim_bb_messaging_app has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy". Anybody know anything about this?
    Super Bad

Global Posts
    11,937 Global Posts

There is a thread on removing it in the How To Tips and Faq forum.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,226 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Yeah I read that thread and I can't find anything on my BB about an IT policy.
    Retired Mod

PIN
    PIN:ky Tuscadero

Go to options >security options >firewall. Is the firewall enabled or disabled. And if it's enabled is there a red lock next to it?
    Retired Moderator

If you have a personal phone, odds are good the error message is misleading. IT policy applies to BES phones.

The key is, some emails. Does opening it cause the error, or does the error occur when you try to open an attachment?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackngray70 View Post
    Yeah I read that thread and I can't find anything on my BB about an IT policy.
    Go Options/Security/General Settings... scroll to the bottom. The last 2 items are IT Policy Name and Services.

If you have entries there, you have an IT Policy.

It is possible it got enabled when you chose to turn on Firewall. Have you tried turning that off?

/BD
    Retired Moderator

This is so awesome. I did a Google search on the app error, the seventh link from the top is this thread, 16 minutes old.

This might be of interest:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/ema...freezes-20633/
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-16-2008 at 10:26 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,226 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by bikedogrun View Post
    Go Options/Security/General Settings... scroll to the bottom. The last 2 items are IT Policy Name and Services.

If you have entries there, you have an IT Policy.

It is possible it got enabled when you chose to turn on Firewall. Have you tried turning that off?

/BD
    Ok I checked services it says I don't have any services. And this does not happen when the firewall is disabled. I enabled the firewall for the FileLock app. If you enable the firewall FileLock doesn't ask for permission everytime you try and lock or unlock a file.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,226 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    If you have a personal phone, odds are good the error message is misleading. IT policy applies to BES phones.

The key is, some emails. Does opening it cause the error, or does the error occur when you try to open an attachment?
    Just opening the Email but it doesn't do it with every Email.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,226 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by amazinglygraceless View Post
    Go to options >security options >firewall. Is the firewall enabled or disabled. And if it's enabled is there a red lock next to it?
    Enabled and no there is no red lock.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,226 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    This is so awesome. I did a Google search on the app error, the seventh link from the top is this thread, 16 minutes old.

This might be of interest:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/ema...freezes-20633/
    Ok I read that thread I hope thats not the problem I don't think it is. This just started happening when I enabled the firewall.
  12. ani
    CrackBerry Addict

I have an Alltel 8330 Curve 4.3.0.124 personal phone not a company phone with Empower Email Viewer Pro installed and today I enabled my firewall because of the FileLock app. So now when I open some Emails I get an error message saying " The application net_rim_bb_messaging_app has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy". Anybody know anything about this?
    Hi,

Basically, the error message means that your IT Policy is preventing all 3rd Party apps from accessing both - the Internet and the SD Card. It treats the Internet as 'outside the firewall' and SDCard as 'inside the firewall'. Empower accesses both of these because it needs to retrieve images from the Internet, and it uses the SDCard because it save these images in a Cache there.

The easiest way to solve this problem is to either turn off the Cache, Or set your Cache under Empower Options > Image & Cache Options to Memory.

Also, if you can remove your IT Policy, that will be the best solution as it will solve this 'Firewall' issue for future 3rd Party apps that you may install.

Thanks,
    Ani.
    Retired Moderator

Way to go Ani. Clearly, you know your stuff.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,226 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

How do I remove the IT Policy if there isn't one on my BB?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,226 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Super Bad

Global Posts
    11,937 Global Posts

LOL didn't you just answer yourself by asking that?
    CrackBerry Abuser

It would seem that the default IT Policy (even for BIS phones) does not allow split-pipe connections. I just got a Sprint 8330 and I wasn't getting this error until I truned the firewall on. With the firewall disabled I get a message everytime a third party application tries to access the internet, and I have to click OK. If I turn the firewall on, some third party apps (and Sprint Music Sotre) dosn't work because it tries to access the internet and the SD card, but then I click allow all connections for an app and never see that message again. So I can't win, and I can't apply a blank IT policy because I don't have BES.

This thread shows how to wipe a blackberry and put a blank IT policy on your BIS phone (http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/67224-remove-policy.html), but thats to much trouble for me.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,226 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    LOL didn't you just answer yourself by asking that?
    I'm sorry I was being sarcastic because I posted earlier in the thread that there isn't an IT Policy on my BB.