I am a 4+ year treo user (and several years of Palm devices prior to that) recently switching over to BB. Like it mostly so far, but please tell me this is some kind of joke: that you cannot view html email on the device without paying extra for a third party software program.

Also, I sometimes get these annoying multiple messages about security certificate (or something like that) when trying to load certain web addresses. What the crap? These are both counterproductive issues that i NEVER dealt with on my Treo's. Anybody got any input that might help remedy these issues. Thanks.
    07-04-08 09:50 AM
    Once os v4.5 is released by your carrier you will have html email.
    07-04-08 09:55 AM
    I am a 4+ year treo user (and several years of Palm devices prior to that) recently switching over to BB. Like it mostly so far, but please tell me this is some kind of joke: that you cannot view html email on the device without paying extra for a third party software program.

Also, I sometimes get these annoying multiple messages about security certificate (or something like that) when trying to load certain web addresses. What the crap? These are both counterproductive issues that i NEVER dealt with on my Treo's. Anybody got any input that might help remedy these issues. Thanks.
    When OS 4.5 comes out you will be able to view html emails, there are betas floating around right now that you can get if you want. Also, I never get those messages, and if I did I probably turned them off.
    07-04-08 09:56 AM
    RIM has already addressed the HTML email issue with OS 4.5. Rumor is the CDMA version is nearly ready but it will ultimately be up to Verizon when we will actually get the software. (or you could do what I did and download a beta version but you take your own risks with that). I can't really speak to the website security certificate issues since I haven't experienced any of those.
    07-04-08 09:57 AM
    What type of site are generating those msg's? Banking or financial type of sites?
    07-04-08 09:59 AM
    BB's aren't for everyone. If Palm OS works for you, go back. You should have a 30 day trial period with your carrier.
    07-04-08 09:59 AM
    You will be able to view html email once 4.5 comes out. If you are not happy with your BB, you can always go back to your treo. I however think the BB is a better device in the long run. Good luck with whatever you choose .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-08 10:19 AM
    Just install 4.5.0.v44 and upwards and its pretty stable and supports HTML email natively. Its working fine for me.

You might need to delete your email account on BIS and reset it up for it to work but otherwise thats it.
    07-04-08 10:32 AM
    HTML email is available right now and there's no need to wait for "official" 4.5 release. Just install OS 4.5.0.46 into your BB and you'll be able to receive HTML email immediately and for free.

Go to Google and enter " Blackberry OS 4.5.0.46 download" and you'll have a variety of links that will take you to download sites.

Downoad Opera browser at operamini.com and you'll never have to deal with BB browser. Good luck.
    Last edited by JD914; 07-04-08 at 11:01 AM.
    07-04-08 10:46 AM
    How do i get that 4.5 version for my 8320
    07-04-08 10:55 AM
    How do i get that 4.5 version for my 8320
    Read my previous post.

07-04-08 10:58 AM
    hmmm.......did not know that people were still using Fisher Price err, Treos anymore....

BB are THE best!

Nuff said

Don't hate the BB - hate their game....

07-04-08 12:07 PM
    BB's aren't for everyone. If Palm OS works for you, go back. You should have a 30 day trial period with your carrier.
    Exactly!
    07-04-08 12:23 PM
    once again HTML issue will be resolved once the 4.5 OS comes out or you can get 3rd party now.
    07-04-08 12:44 PM
    Well, you can download Operamini for free that works well.
    You have to look at the history of RIM and BB. They stripped down emails to text only, as early BB uisers were using corporate email over slow GSM cell phone networks when people were travelling. 3G and even GPRS didn't exist then. Remember, RIM led the way with push email. Hence their slow uptake of 3G. Obviously, things have moved on. All BB's from now on will have 3G, I am sure.

07-04-08 12:50 PM
    I have a silly question... why would someone want HTML email on their Blackberry? It takes more bandwidth/time to download such email, and for most Blackberry users who use email as a means of communication throughout the day, HTML is somewhat of a distraction and unnecessary.
    07-04-08 12:52 PM
    Somethings are done well or even better on the Palm phones but ultimately it is a phone first for me. I much prefer having a phone that works and doesn't lock the whole device up on every call after 6-55 secs, which then takes another 2 minutes to get back up and running and there's even no point in trying to get that phone call back, answer another, or make one. When it did work I really questioned the smartphone category. It seemed more like a too big for it's britches PDA. The phone part of the equation seemed like it was a tad better than a childs toy and a lot worse than the cheapest cel phone.
    07-04-08 01:12 PM
    Read my previous post.

Thanks dude, i�ll download it and give it a try!
    07-04-08 04:10 PM
    HTML email is available right now and there's no need to wait for "official" 4.5 release. Just install OS 4.5.0.46 into your BB and you'll be able to receive HTML email immediately and for free.

Go to Google and enter " Blackberry OS 4.5.0.46 download" and you'll have a variety of links that will take you to download sites.

Downoad Opera browser at operamini.com and you'll never have to deal with BB browser. Good luck.

i like the blackberry browser in 4.5

a lot actually
    07-04-08 04:21 PM
    I have a silly question... why would someone want HTML email on their Blackberry? It takes more bandwidth/time to download such email, and for most Blackberry users who use email as a means of communication throughout the day, HTML is somewhat of a distraction and unnecessary.
    You don't HAVE to use it. Just like your PC, you can set up each account to either use HTML or not. I like it personally. It loads very fast and you have the choice whether you want it to download the images or not within each mail. If it is garbage mail, treat it as such. Don't load the images and toss it.
    07-04-08 04:25 PM
    I was a treo user for abour 4 years myself until I switched to my Curve two weeks ago. I installed the OS 4.5.0.46 last week and can honestly say the HTML email is descent. As good as it was on my 750. The browser is a lot better than it was on the 750. I had to use Opera mini but the new BB browser is very descent. Treo eat your heart out.

07-04-08 04:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD