Hey everyone,

Its been a lonnggggg time since my last post. I was very active in helping others with BB issues and gave all the knowledge I could for the first 4 months of diving into my 8330. I literally tore this phone apart from top to bottom with what it can do/cant do and changing my OS, fixing memory issues, changing the outside of the case, and trying to improve the all out quality of the phone.

Alas I've had my bb for about a year come this november and I'm actually upset with the overall functionality of the phone. Constantly trying to free more memory is a daily hassle as when I download 2-3 apps for my phone (which knocks the memory down from 46 megs to about 36mb and memory leaks eventually get it down to 22mb which I start getting the hour glass of death) and it will eventually make the phone so slow/laggy over time that nothing really helps, not even quick pull. So, I then basically reformat the phone and start the process over again. Its just now recently lagging when I receive a phone call and its almost the final straw. The battery is a constant issue also, there's times where it will last a full 8 hrs before it going red or sometimes 3-4 (its not depending on my usage either). There other odds and ends happening too but that's the main issues.

With all that in mind, this is where I'm hoping someone out there can put my mind to rest and persuade me not to do what I wanna do. Basically I have lost faith in rims ability to produce a phone with sufficient enough internal memory to support daily use, along with recreational use of the phone. Even with the new storm 2 coming out, only having 2 gigs of internal memory seems like a joke when compared to the iphone 3GS that has a max of 32 gigs (obviously model dependent). Plus, the applications that BBworld has aren't even that great. Its not like I can download a few of them and try them out bc when I go to uninstall, it STILL eats up some of the memory and the only way to get that back is to eventually format the phone and reinstall the OS. Plus paying 5.99 upwards to 10.99 usd for a game is kind of ridiculous when compared to apples market where as some games are just 1.99 and run better than the ones we get.

As you've noticed, I've referenced the iphone twice. Yes my friends, I've been leaning towards getting an iphone and abandoning my bb for good. I'm hoping someone out there can point me in a different direction with some other option and refueling my faith in RIM. Before the obvious comes into play or the flaming, I'd really appreciate serious comments and not stuff like, "ew apple sucks, iphone sucks, etc..." Because I'm looking for valid points here to stay. Yes I know there isn't a physically keyboard but that has no bearing to me. Please, prove me wrong.

- biz
    10-27-09 09:34 AM
    i dont think this will help you any......... but i just switch from a alltel 8330 to a iphone 3gs and i will never look back... i love my iphone.... theres only one flaw... my company email will not work with my iphone.. oh well.. still love the phone and service!!
    10-27-09 09:37 AM
    My phone starts with less than 22 megs of free memory and works just fine even down to 11 megs, no hourglass problems. I usaually run quickpull when it gets that low however.
    10-27-09 10:12 AM
    good luck in your decision, I have toyed with window mobile 6.5 android and the iPhone. Just a couple of things I want you to consider, are you getting an unlocked iPhone or going with at&t? Reason I asked, is if you are outside a major or travel often outside of major cities, you most likely won't get 3g service. I move from Chicago to Appleton, WI area (which is a decent size city) and I don't have 3G . So if switching to the at&t network be prepared for spotty network service if you travel. Also, if you are worried about price of games, do some research there are some great game for free if you know how to Google
    If you are experiencing memory leaks or memory issues I suggest the 101, it can greatly increase some mem issues. Also what do you use your phone for the most? standing on the coroner looking cool? or business functionality? If it's to be cool then get android or iPhone.
    10-27-09 10:34 AM
    Well its not so much what I use my phone for, its what I would *like* to use my phone for. There's a lot of downtime @ my job in the winter and when it snows we can't do anything. So I'm basically looking for a form of entertainment when it comes down to it. I've saw the mem 101 when I first got my phone and I've learned a lot since then but this phone just acts up on me when it hits 26mb. I know there's free games for the bb but that's not my point really. My point is, I can't use them anyways on this phone bc of the mem issues. I don't travel much so that's not a problem @ all. It won't be unlocked though - unless I bought it out of contract which I could do bc then I could get the unlock code from at&t. Meh idk, I just want something that has almost unlimitless possibilities atm and this phone isn't cutting it.
    10-27-09 12:36 PM
    After seeing bagged's post, makes me lean more towards an iphone lol
    10-27-09 12:38 PM
    bb in my opinion is a better phone and email device. The iphone for movies games and little goodies is more of an mp3 player that is also a phone. So which ever way you would use the most go for it.
    10-27-09 01:55 PM
    My 8330 starts the day with about 40XXXXXXX bytes. I have over a dozen apps and 3 themes. Depending on my data usage, I might drop down to 32XXXXXX bytes. Quickpull over night and I'm back to 40XXXXXX in the morning. Battery drain occurs during excessive phone and/or data use, especially when I am on the road, but I always get through the day before the Curve rests on the dock for the night.

As for the iphone, I could never deal with the inferior ATT network...great device (if you like a touch screen) but terrible network. I need connectivity and ATT just does not have the footprint.

I always close an app when I'm finished with it and do not Tweet or Facebook. The 8330 has been a great device for me and I'll continue to use it until LTE is up and running.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-09 03:04 PM
    okay I LOVE blackberry... however if your looking for entertainment during down time... you want an iphone. I have a lot of experience with the iphone, and while i'm forced to use blackberry based on having sprint, however if the iphone ever does come to sprint or verizon I will be on it with a quickness. I would strongly suggest NOT going with att they are horrible, go with tmobile if anything and unlock your iphone. not only does the iphone work better on tmobile, but the plans are cheaper and there is so much more you can do with an unlocked iphone it is rediculous. Get the iphone, you won't be disappointed. another advantage to unlocking the iphone now days is, while is does still void your warranty, with the new unlock software thats out you can easily plug into itunes and put the apple software back on, if you ever needed to have your phone replaced or whatever. They will never know it was unlocked, granted you don't leave your tmobile sim card in there when you send it in for repair. lol
    10-27-09 03:08 PM
    I have an idea just the itouch its the same thing as the iphone but without the phone it will save you cash and you don't have to break contract or anything

10-27-09 05:44 PM
    Yah I think I'm definitely going to do an iphone. I mean, I have my email synced to my bb but when it really comes down to it, I can always log into my email through the phone. Oh btw, yeah I thought about an itouch. Their great and all but if you aren't in a wifi area hotspot - you're now SOL.
    10-27-09 06:19 PM
    My 8330 starts the day with about 40XXXXXXX bytes. I have over a dozen apps and 3 themes. Depending on my data usage, I might drop down to 32XXXXXX bytes. Quickpull over night and I'm back to 40XXXXXX in the morning.
    I read this post and now I'm curious as to why my memory is so low. I have about a dozen apps, I use a memory card for my media files, I delete my text msgs daily but towards the end of the day my free space looks something like this 9886953 Bytes. I have QuickPull scheduled to run every night but even after it has ran I have about 22xxxxxxxx bytes. My phone isn't running sluggish but I would love to know why my memory is so low. HELP!!

10-28-09 02:16 AM
    I read this post and now I'm curious as to why my memory is so low. I have about a dozen apps, I use a memory card for my media files, I delete my text msgs daily but towards the end of the day my free space looks something like this 9886953 Bytes. I have QuickPull scheduled to run every night but even after it has ran I have about 22xxxxxxxx bytes. My phone isn't running sluggish but I would love to know why my memory is so low. HELP!!

Which Curve are you using, and do you have Facebook? Or Viigo?

10-28-09 02:21 AM
    8330 yes and I have Vlingo.

10-28-09 02:29 AM
    I have an idea just the itouch its the same thing as the iphone but without the phone it will save you cash and you don't have to break contract or anything

You are very correct, the iTouch can actually make calls via skype. Here are price comparisons of the iPhone 3Gs vs iTouch.

IPod touch
    $299+$99.99 (MiFi 2200)+
    $29 (stereo headset)+$9.95 (3.0 upgrade)
    Data-$59.99 per month (5GB)
    SMS-Free (AIM)
    Voice- $2.95 (Unlimited through Skype)
    $1,948.50

iPhone3GS
    $199(16GB)
    Data-$30 (5GB)
    SMS-$20 (Unlimited)
    Voice-$39.99 (450 minutes)
    $2,358.76

Have fun with your choices!

Thnx, �Tripster�

Last edited by Tripster; 10-28-09 at 02:46 AM.
    10-28-09 02:44 AM
    Wait... There's a data plan for the itouch? I thought it only had wifi and if you weren't in a hotspot you were basically screwed? And what's with this voice 2.95? Yah I know its unlimited through skype but that's only w/ other skype users isn't it? Or are you saying its 2.95 a month for skype to call ppl unlimited? Bc if you can get a data plan for the itouch, technically you could use it the same exact way as an iphone then? Correct me if I'm wrong - I just figured it was diff
    10-28-09 06:59 AM
    Wait... There's a data plan for the itouch? I thought it only had wifi and if you weren't in a hotspot you were basically screwed? And what's with this voice 2.95? Yah I know its unlimited through skype but that's only w/ other skype users isn't it? Or are you saying its 2.95 a month for skype to call ppl unlimited? Bc if you can get a data plan for the itouch, technically you could use it the same exact way as an iphone then? Correct me if I'm wrong - I just figured it was diff
    The data plan is with the use of VZW's MiFi. I'm not sure about the skype plan, since I don't have an account with them. Yes, you can use an iTouch just like an iPhone. This info was taken from LAPTOP Magazine - Product reviews, tech news, buying guides, and more, I got it from the magazine though. If you goto that link you might be able to find that info there.

Thnx, �Tripster�

10-28-09 08:41 AM
    I actually have a lot of experience with iphones and they are fantastic devices...the major hurdle other than at&t is the battery...the battery on those phones are insanely atrocious...so just be prepared for that.
    10-28-09 11:28 PM
    Yah I've heard the battery isn't really that good. But when you think about it - its almost like how the psp's battery was when they first came out. Oh I didn't know vzn offered mifi. HrmmmMmMMmM, I think I'm just gonna go with the iphone instead of the itouch just bc I don't need to get extra bells n whistles to make it work (itouch) the way I'd like it to. Ill take a look @ the mifi anyways though. Thanks for all the replies! It really helped me in my decision bc I really needed to figureout what I was gonna do cuz now I really want one lol. Plus I might be in an area that vzn doesn't cover anyways so I'd have to go w/ at&t anyways.
    10-29-09 07:38 AM
    I would have to ask, "are you looking for a new toy or a communications device?" Based on your above statement, you don't know for sure that VZW does not work in your area. It is a fact that VZW has a superior network and with LTE coming, I would be looking at the big picture. Also, check out the new Moto Droid. It appears to be a contender.

10-29-09 12:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD