I have downloaded several themes, but when I go to my device manager, I get this error:
    Error in application information file, XML syntax error on line 1.
    Does anyone know what this means or know how to fix it????
    Also, I have themes showing in the Advanced Options/Applications, but they are not showing in my Themes??? Anyone know why this is?
    03-20-08 01:44 AM
    I have downloaded several themes, but when I go to my device manager, I get this error:
    Error in application information file, XML syntax error on line 1.
    Does anyone know what this means or know how to fix it????
    Also, I have themes showing in the Advanced Options/Applications, but they are not showing in my Themes??? Anyone know why this is?
    How did you get the themes?

Did you unlock them (deleted vendor ID's)?

Did you update to a newer version of Blackberry OS?

Can you give any greater detail as to what happened. What did you do, that you know of, that may have caused this?

You have them installed, they just are not there because of the syntax error.

When you loaded a theme, did you make sure it was for your device? (ie. Did you load a 8310 them on an 8800.) Themes are set up to only work on the devic specified, unless annotated...Works on 8800, Curve, Pearl.

msblueline
    03-20-08 01:53 AM
    If you are attempting to load a JAR or JAD file, it won't work. Those file types are meant to be installed Over The Air from the BB Browser.
    03-20-08 01:56 AM
    I downloaded the themes from top sites, just like I always do. Either OTA or I get a link emailed to me. This is the way I always did it, and had no problems. I'm a newbie, so I don't know anything about unlocking them. The website didn't say anything about having to unlock them. No, I haven't updated to a new OS. I am sure that I downloaded them for my 8310.
    03-20-08 02:00 AM
    So, how do I know what kind of files they were? Do I just have to go back and d/l them again?
    03-20-08 02:02 AM
    I downloaded the themes from top sites, just like I always do. Either OTA or I get a link emailed to me. This is the way I always did it, and had no problems. I'm a newbie, so I don't know anything about unlocking them. The website didn't say anything about having to unlock them. No, I haven't updated to a new OS. I am sure that I downloaded them for my 8310.
    Actually it does, but not on the theme site... It's right here on the forum.

You go into the files and remove vendor codes...

**WARNING** ATTEMPT AT YOUR OWN RISK... Is what it will also tell you.

If you do not feel comfortable in doing this then do not attempt it...

As far as why it is doing this, I do not know. Did you restart (Battery Pull) after you installed the themes. Usually that helps. it allows the device to recognize the new installed themes...

msblueline
    03-20-08 02:09 AM
    How are you trying to load the theme? Are you using a link emailed to your phone?
    03-20-08 02:10 AM
    Usually, I use the desktop mgr, but I have downloaded from a link once or twice. Yes, I have tried a battery pull. How hard is it to remove vendor codes? How do I do it?
    03-20-08 02:19 AM
    Okay, you aren't answering my questions correctly.

The theme you are trying to install right now on your phone, it's giving you a problem right? I'm looking for a simple yes or no answer to this question.

If yes, what method are you using to try and install the theme; Over The Air, or from Desktop Manager?
    03-20-08 02:24 AM
    Don't worry about what i was talking about right now... we can deal with that later...

Let Sunkast help you right now... He's good

just answer his questions for now.

msblueline
    03-20-08 02:27 AM
    It's themes I tried to download the other day, not right now. So, yes, they are still giving me a problem from when I downloaded them days ago.
    03-20-08 02:29 AM
    How are you trying to load the theme? Are you using a link emailed to your phone?
    Harbottle...

read what sunkast wrote above... How are you trying to load the themes, it's ok that you tried to get them the other day... the question is...How? OTA (over the air, emailed link) or downloaded.

This will help him determine what you need to do...

msblueline
    03-20-08 02:34 AM
    Sorry, I'm new to this. Please be patient with me.
    I downloaded OTA.
    03-20-08 02:51 AM
    Hello?????
    03-20-08 03:06 AM
    And you ask us to be patient? Come on...

If you downloaded a theme OTA or using Application Loader, it will be under Options > Themes. If it isn't there do a battery pull. If it still isn't there then you must have downloaded a version that is incompatible with the model of phone you have and OS running on it.

Here are some Google Search Results for the error that you first posted. Have fun reading.
    03-20-08 03:09 AM
    Thanks for all your courteous help!!
    03-20-08 03:25 AM
    Thanks for all your courteous help!!
    Understand one thing... we are trying to "imagine" in our mind what your are saying...

If you say, OTA, then we know that you went to a site and downloaded a theme over the air.

If you say, downloaded, then we know you went there with your computer and used your DM to input it onto your BB.

Now, either of these will work,... Unless you downloaded the wrong one. It is important for you...YOU... to look at which one you downloaded.

Go back to the one you selected, look at which operating system it supports.

Goto... Settings -> Options -> About... and see what operating system you are using... (ie. 4.2.2; 4.1.2; 4.1.179...what ever) look and see what you have.

Look at the theme and see if they OS (operating System) matches.

We do not have your error codes, or your device in front of us. We don't see the error code you are getting, and cannot recreate it.

You...YOU must be patient with us... I am not being rude to you, just letting you know, that we can only do what you tell us.

You were asked 3 times and then you said "be patient with me, I am new with this" well these people are not... they can help, but the answers are there.

All it takes is a little bit of effort in your part also... we cannot do it for you.

You have to work with us to work with you.

Welcome to crackberry, enjoy your stay, your crackberry CANNOT be used as a flotation device.

The ride may be bumpy, but you will get through it.

msblueline
    Last edited by msbluelline; 03-20-08 at 03:40 AM.
    03-20-08 03:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD