so i am completely new to the blackberry world, but feel the addiction beginning. that being said, i know almost nothing about blackberries, and so have a lot of questions. i'm sorry if these questions are redundant or stupid, but the people here seem really patient and so i hope i can get ure help.

firstly, apparently theres different OS's for blackberries. what are the advantages of having the newest update, and are there any good tutorials that can help me update mine, and tell me what one i'm even on?

secondly, i know one of the advantages with OS's is that u can personalize ure bb's theme. i've seen a couple nice ones already, but have no idea how to go about installing one on my bb. could someone tell me how to do this?

thirdly, i've heard you can change the functionality of different buttons on the bb. how would i go about doing that?

i'm also looking for a case for my curve, so my next question is, is it one case fits all curves? or are there slight physical differences in each blackberry (eg. between an 8310 and an 8320) that might cause a case not to fit for certain curves (or even have button holes not line up properly?)

once again, i'm sorry if these questions are dumb, but like i said, i have little knowledge about bb's. also, please try to be specific in ure answers, because once again...little knowledge! finally, not sure if this is important, but i'm running an unlocked 8320 t-mobile phone on a rogers sim card.

thanks in advance for any help recieved.
    08-03-08 10:41 PM
    08-03-08 10:43 PM
    firstly, apparently theres different OS's for blackberries. what are the advantages of having the newest update, and are there any good tutorials that can help me update mine, and tell me what one i'm even on?

The latest OS for your device is OS 4.5.0.69. Please advise that this is a Beta OS which may contain bugs. Loading a Beta OS or an OS that is not officially supported yet by your carrier will void your warranty. This is not advised to upgrade unless you have a firm understanding of your device and the process. There is a link in my signature for "Proper Upgrade/Downgrade Procedure.

secondly, i know one of the advantages with OS's is that u can personalize ure bb's theme. i've seen a couple nice ones already, but have no idea how to go about installing one on my bb. could someone tell me how to do this?

These customizations are done with themes. Follow this link : BlackBerry 101: The Basics of BlackBerry Themes | CrackBerry.com and it will tell you all you need to know. You can also change your wallpaper, ringtone, etc.

thirdly, i've heard you can change the functionality of different buttons on the bb. how would i go about doing that?

You can only change the convenience keys functionality (the side bumper buttons). You go into Options > Screen/Keyboard > Convenience Keys... and change to your liking. You may also wanna check the link in my signature for the Keyboard Shortcuts... it has a ton of useful ones!!

i'm also looking for a case for my curve, so my next question is, is it one case fits all curves? or are there slight physical differences in each blackberry (eg. between an 8310 and an 8320) that might cause a case not to fit for certain curves (or even have button holes not line up properly?)

I would always pick the case for your exact model. There are slight variations that will cause discrepancies. I recommend a BestSkinsEver for your Berry and whatever other case you want on top of that!

once again, i'm sorry if these questions are dumb, but like i said, i have little knowledge about bb's. also, please try to be specific in ure answers, because once again...little knowledge! finally, not sure if this is important, but i'm running an unlocked 8320 t-mobile phone on a rogers sim card.

No prob, hope I could help!!

thanks in advance for any help recieved.
    ^^ Answers inline with your quote ^^
    08-03-08 10:48 PM
    I would not recommend you dive into upgrading your OS right away as a new user. You can change themes with previous OS versions, not just the newest ones.

Do you mean changing your side convenience keys? Options>screen/keyboard.

There is a slight physical difference between the different curve models, so please find a case that is specific to your model.

Welcome to cb!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-08 10:49 PM
    wow thanks for all of the responses guys! i feel at home already

my next question tho, is while reading over how to upgrade an OS, i came across the fact that after the OS is done installing:
    the device will need to be wirelessly activated and registered with your carrier after the new OS is installed
    now i'm using an unlocked wifi 8320 from the states, while i reside in canada and use rogers (i bought the wifi to avoid data charges at all costs). will this activation and registration affect me negatively? will it lock the phone again? will rogers even be notified of me using a blackberry and force monthly data charges on me? (i've heard of this type of thing happening b4).
    08-04-08 07:58 AM

now i'm using an unlocked wifi 8320 from the states, while i reside in canada and use rogers (i bought the wifi to avoid data charges at all costs). will this activation and registration affect me negatively? will it lock the phone again? will rogers even be notified of me using a blackberry and force monthly data charges on me? (i've heard of this type of thing happening b4).

Welcome to CrackBerry, from another Canuck 8320 user.

There is no concern about incurring high data charges with Rogers, if you do not subscribe to a data plan. The activation is simply to restore you phone service connection.

Locking the phone was done at the factory, unlocking the phone is done from the keyboard. Upgrading the phone will not effect the unlocked status.

Have you considered the new deal from Rogers? BIS and 6Gb for $30 added to your voice plan. This is a promotional deal through August 31 that puts BlackBerry on a level playing field with Apple products.

08-04-08 09:55 AM
    ok thanks for ure help and information stoner. i guess i'll attempt to upgrade my OS in the next couple days since my concerns aren't warranted.

also thanks for the info about the deal. unfortunately i'm a student looking for the cool rep that comes with having a bb, but can't actually back it up :P
    08-04-08 06:10 PM
    hey guys, i'm back with a couple more questions.

i'm wondering if u guys can tell me if opera mini uses wifi or service provider's data because theres no little logo on the top right corner of the screen to specify.

secondly, im wondering how to change the icons that show on the home page, how to change their order, and if u can just completely get rid of some as well?
    08-12-08 08:37 PM

i'm wondering if u guys can tell me if opera mini uses wifi or service provider's data because theres no little logo on the top right corner of the screen to specify.

secondly, im wondering how to change the icons that show on the home page, how to change their order, and if u can just completely get rid of some as well?

i dont know the answer to your first question, but for the second question, just press your BB button on the icon you want to move and there will be an option to move. Then just use your trackball to move it to the spot you want. To get rid of some icons, also press the BB on the icon you want to get rid of, and there will be an option to hide.
    08-12-08 08:44 PM
    If you have wifi enabled on your device, then yes. Opera Mini will use it.

08-12-08 08:45 PM

Yes, you can configure Opera for WiFi use

On some themes you can move icons, others you cannot. If you can, you just highlight it then Menu > Move. To "get rid of them" you can Menu > Hide... or some applications you can completely uninstall from Options > Advanced Options > Applications > Select app to delete (if it is in the list) > Menu > Delete
    ^Hope that helps
    08-12-08 09:01 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry. Don't worry about any of your questions being dumb. They will be answered. You should also utilize the "search" feature. A lot of your future questions have been asked. Searching the forums just speeds you to your answer faster. Welcome again. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

08-12-08 09:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD