I am WAY new to BB to begin with, so please offer suggestions with detailed instructions if necessary. I have already tried a soft reset to resolve the issue but that hasn't helped.

My friend saw my BB and got one herself. We got all excited playing with the Messenger feature, but something happened and I can't get it to fix.

At first we tried inviting each other as messenger contacts, and I found that I had invited myself (which I assume was a quirk due to Gmail). I deleted myself as a contact so only her name remained. My contact list now only consists of her name with a blue smiley. When I click on her name I see my name at the top with 3 small smiley's and "et al" as though it's a group conversation. Don't know if that's relevant but I am throwing it in.

We appear to be able to send and receive messages to each other (my name has a checkmark with "R" above it - I assume that means received? I have also seen a "D", what does that mean please?). However, our menus are completely different, and I am completely missing the PING option.

When I click for the menu, my only option is "Full Menu". Opening the full menu gives me Check Spelling, View Calendar, Clear History, Copy History, Invite..., View Participants, Edit Auto Text, Show Symbols, Switch Input Language, View Contact List, and End Conversation.

Clicking End conversation appears to do nothing, when I click on her name again, everything we sent back and forth is still there. I just cleared the history and the back-and-forth text is gone but my name et al is still there, and still no PING option.

Help!
    04-01-08 08:05 AM
    D means delivered R means read. You guys opened a group conversation I think. I don't know what a PING option is unless you're talking about PIN in which case you added her to messenger via PIN which is the only way to add anyone to messenger. When you add someone to messenger it should be done Add Contact > Use Once > Menu > By PIN
    04-01-08 08:25 AM
    Nope, there is a PING option on hers, and WAS a ping option on mine, but it's not there now. Basically it just sent a message (PING!) that caused the BB to vibrate to get our attention that someone wanted to chat.

And we added each other by requesting through email. I never entered her pin number. Which is why I think it added myself as a contact since she and I both use Gmail and getting your own sent mail is a known issue.

As far as being in a group conversation, I can see that being the case, but I can't figure out how to get out of it. I have tried to "End conversation" from both the conversation and the main contact list but it doesn't appear to make any change.
    04-01-08 08:40 AM
    Ping Is Just What It Says. It Is A Way To Get The Other Persons Attention. There Is An Option To End Conversation In The Menu List Just Go To That And End The Conversation
    04-01-08 08:53 AM
    Good Morning Newbie. Welcome to CB! Have you tried removing the battery while the phone is still on??? Give it a try and see what happens
    04-01-08 09:00 AM
    BB messenger uses PINs to add contacts not email but hey whatever works lol
    04-01-08 09:06 AM
    @ montpry - yes tried that already, didn't work.

@ Kara81 - THANK YOU. That was what did it. Apparently the Alt/Rt Shift/Del does not provide a good enough reset, but the battery removal did. I now see the ping option and several other menu options now.

@ raylol16 - I knew you COULD invite with pin numbers, but she is the only one in my contact list and we both got options to add via email, so that seemed easier than hunting around for our pin numbers.

Thanks all for the advice.
    04-01-08 09:20 AM
    @ montpry - yes tried that already, didn't work.

@ Kara81 - THANK YOU. That was what did it. Apparently the Alt/Rt Shift/Del does not provide a good enough reset, but the battery removal did. I now see the ping option and several other menu options now.

@ raylol16 - I knew you COULD invite with pin numbers, but she is the only one in my contact list and we both got options to add via email, so that seemed easier than hunting around for our pin numbers.

Thanks all for the advice.
    Well if you keep adding folks via email it will keep acting funky. The pin option is where I told you to go which is how it should be done. Add Contact > scroll up to use once > menu key > add by pin. Its very easy to find your pin you can just go to status in your options and its there. Oh and when in doubt pull it out lol.
    04-01-08 09:26 AM
    Well if you keep adding folks via email it will keep acting funky. The pin option is where I told you to go which is how it should be done. Add Contact > scroll up to use once > menu key > add by pin. Its very easy to find your pin you can just go to status in your options and its there. Oh and when in doubt pull it out lol.
    Thanks, will remember that for the next time
    04-01-08 11:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD