I'm trying to playback mp3s from my BB Curve 8350i phone to my car stereo. I output it through the headphone jack to a converter that converts the jack to a normal mini jack and from that to 2 RCAs jacks that plug into the red and white jacks. I've plugged it into both our home stereo and my car and get the same results. The problem is that when I plug the mini-mini jack into the phone, it's constantly dropping sound and pausing the music and it makes a really high pitched constant note sound. I just noticed a little bit ago if I really fidget with the jack and pull it out a little, if I get it in just the right spot, it will play just fine. But this doesn't fly in my car because everytime I hit the smallest bump, it moves my phone and I loose sound and it pauses the music and starts to make that really high pitch annoying sound.

With my handsfree headset that came with the phone, I can listen to music on that with no problem. It sounds fine and doesn't have the pausing problem. Only thing I can think is this mini-mini jack is generic and this phone uses a proprietary jack??? These converters are converting mini-mini jacks to mini-jacks for just headphones but the cellphone has the two stereo channels plus the microphone channel. When I cut and put back together the wire to put the mini-mini jack on, I only saw 3 wires in the mini-mini jack part. The other end with the RCAs has 3 wires also. I know two are the positives for the left and right channel and then negative for both. I know the end of the mini-jack is the right channel. the middle is the left channel and then part closest to the wire is ground. I went and checked continuity on them to verify which part corresponded to which wire compared to the old one so I could match up the wire colors correctly.

This didn't work. So my next step is I went to Radio Shack and pieced together factory ends that were meant to do this. I got a mini-mini plug that converted to just the mini-headphone jack. Then from that to the RCAs. We tried a few different ones at Radio Shack (the sales person let me try a few.) I got the same results with all of them. I get that terrible high pitched sound if I push the plug in all the way.

One other test I did was to make sure there wasn't an issue with running an amplified output into RCAs that are supposed to be getting non-amplified input, I took it into an RF modulator that took the input through 88.8 fm channel. I got that same high pitch constant sound. (I do get music too so I know it's playing.)

The only last thing I could think was that the 3rd wire wasn't a ground but it was a microphone wire. If I don't push it in all the way, it does work fine as long as I don't breath on the phone and cause a vibration to cause it to move and loose connection. The part of the jack closest to the wire is the ground. So on the wire I made, I cut that wire. I know some circuits don't require ground, such as some car light circuits. That didn't work at all. So, I'm at a loss.
    Last edited by dorlow; 04-25-09 at 07:12 PM.
    04-25-09 07:10 PM
    I am having the same problem with my 8350i and I am using a 2.5 male to 3.5 female adaptor then hooking up a 3.5mm cable into the car stero and I get the same hum. No one can tell me why or what to do to fix it.
    07-01-09 08:24 PM
    that humm you hear is feedback, somethings not making a good connection.

Make a ground strap out of 8gauge wire from your bb's battery to the frame of the car, should be fine then
    07-02-09 07:42 AM
    that humm you hear is feedback, somethings not making a good connection.

Make a ground strap out of 8gauge wire from your bb's battery to the frame of the car, should be fine then
    Lol that isn't very efficient, maybe the deck isn't taking it very well for some reason. I have a headphone input for mp3 on my deck but have never tried it. Ill go check it out and see if I get any feedback or anything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-09 09:41 AM
    Well I didn't get any feedback or anything. I didn't have to use any adapters either though. Maybe the noise is comming from conectors. But even with that I use an adaptor from the BB to RCA jacks for the home stereo and I don't get any feedback.

07-02-09 09:55 AM
    im also at a loss, i think we need an engineer who designed BB's on this forum to help us all out with these questions...
    07-02-09 01:16 PM
    You don't have the BB charger plugged in do you? Mine does this when charging, otherwise it sounds fine.
    07-02-09 02:20 PM
    I use my bb as an mp3 player in my car all the time, never got any feedback noise or anything. My deck has a 3.5mm aux in port, so I just use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm male-male cord. Sounds great. Even works over bluetooth in my girlfriends car, and I never get any noise when charging and playing music at the same time.

07-02-09 03:38 PM
    You have something in the BB/cable/deck set-up grounded wrong. I have this problem with electrical noise in testing when i have something grounded wrong.

Any electronic gadget that gets its juice from a battery uses something called a virtual ground (i think that's what it's called, i'm going to school for ME not EE so don't crucify me). Everything on the device is routed to this virtual ground after the power goes through the circuits. With the BB, as it runs off of a battery, the virtual ground goes back to the other battery terminal.

I think to fix it with your set-up you'll need to get audio jacks with no ground connection. I could be wrong, but this should get rid of the interference. I think it has something to do with the ground from the deck trying to compete with the ground from your BB?

.02! hope you can fix it.
    07-02-09 05:45 PM
    Either that or something isn't grounded that should be??
    07-02-09 05:46 PM
    Have you simply tried turning down the volume on your phone and upping the volume on your deck?

07-02-09 06:00 PM
    Dorlow I have the same problem.
    For everyone one else the, the 8350i has a 2.5mm jack not 3.5 as the rest of the curves. An adapter is required if you want to use regular headphones.

I tried using a 2.5mm headset/earbuds that came with another nextel phone and i get the same high pitch sound. I have tried the adapter also and get the same high pitch regardless of charger being installed. Adjusting the volume doesn't yield any relief. Has anyone else been able to find a solution to this issue?

I used podtrapper on my 8330 to listen to my podcasts and migrated to the 8350i. My work around is to avoid the 2.5 mm jack completely and use the speaker. The speaker is louder on the 8350i than the 8330 more than likely due to the nextel radio feature requiring one.

Well thanks, I know that this thread is a little old but maybe this will inject some new life into this annoying issue with the 8350i.
    11-21-09 02:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD