Okay guys I need some advice.
    Im new to Blackberry's and am at the moment all confused. Im about to buy an unlocked ATT or Tmobile Blackberry Curve from Ebay, its brandnew, seal only opened to unlock, from a trusted seller who has sold about 7000 phones (mostly blackberry). What he does is buy it from ATT or Tmobile, unlock it, and sells it.
    I will be using this phone here in Qatar.
    Since its unlocked I know that I will be able to insert my sim card and make calls but will the PIN be locked to ATT or Tmobile. I will be getting an BIS account here with QTEL and need to know if ATT or Tmobile automatically registers all its Blackberry's PIN on its server. Because I do not want to buy the phone and find out that the PIN is locked to ATT or Tmobile and I cannot sign up for a BIS account here in QATAR, pls help answering my query, thanks.
    My main Question: Does ATT or Tmobile lock all the PINs and IMEIs of all the Blackberry's they sell or is the PIN only locked/registered when someone signs up for a BIS with ATT/Tmobile
    07-23-08 04:08 PM
    PINs and IMEI's are "locked" to the device not the carrier.
    They are simply unique device identifiers
    07-23-08 04:11 PM
    you should be ok.
    Good luck!
    =8')

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-08 04:13 PM
    okay...so should I buy the phone without worrying about the PIN. I was just checking if ATT registers the PIN on their BIS server automatically since its an ATT phone. A lot of ppl hve bought phones and then when they try to register their PIN with their BIS account in their own country they get errors saying that the PIN is already being used for another BIS account.
    07-23-08 04:14 PM
    I may be wrong on this but that usually happens when
    someone buys a used phone and the previous owner
    did not call the carrier and have the PIN and /or IMEI
    "unregistered" to their account. Still not the same as
    "locking" to a carrier.

If that happens, simply call the carrier and they should
    be able to take care of it.
    07-23-08 04:37 PM
    Well Im buying a new phone, but just checking if maybe ATT themselves creates a BIS account for all its buyers and registers the PIN for it
    07-23-08 04:45 PM
    I may be wrong on this but that usually happens when
    someone buys a used phone and the previous owner
    did not call the carrier and have the PIN and /or IMEI
    "unregistered" to their account. Still not the same as
    "locking" to a carrier.

If that happens, simply call the carrier and they should
    be able to take care of it.
    110% correct(as usual)
    You should be alright, as long as everything on the sellers side is on the up & up.
    07-23-08 04:45 PM
    Well Im buying a new phone, but just checking if maybe ATT themselves creates a BIS account for all its buyers and registers the PIN for it
    No they do not. The user creates their own account, unless it is
    done for them at the place of purchase.
    07-23-08 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD