I am a relatively new BB Curve user (8300 with Alltel). I supposedly have 12MG storage, yet I can only store about 12 photos. What is set up wrong? I am on vacation and had to delete photos to take more!

Can anyone point me towards the way to fix this? TIA
    04-29-09 08:39 AM
    You need to get a MicroSDcard to put in your phone. 8 gb will run you under $50. You will be able to store hundreds of pics then.
    04-29-09 08:43 AM
    I am a relatively new BB Curve user (8300 with Alltel). I supposedly have 12MG storage, yet I can only store about 12 photos. What is set up wrong? I am on vacation and had to delete photos to take more!

Can anyone point me towards the way to fix this? TIA
    Well I'm not sure about 12 MG of storage but let me ask you this. Do you have a media card inserted into your phone? If not you are saving photos to your device memory. If you go and buy a media card and place it in your device you can store a lot of photos.
    04-29-09 08:44 AM
    Thanks for the quick replies. I thought I had purchased extra memory for the phone but maybe not?? I just let the phone guy set everything up. I do seem to be storing the photos in the device memory so I guess I don't have a memory card. Drat! I told him I wanted one!

I suppose when I get home I will have to go back in to the store. Will I lose all my settings and things if I have to put in one now? I think I read you have to pull the battery?

What size should I buy then?
    04-29-09 09:07 AM
    You will not lose any of your settings.

You do have to pull the battery out to install the cards.

Once you do install the card, I believe that it will automatically save on the cards when you take pictures with the camera.

It sounds like you wouldn't need anymore than an 8 gb card.
    04-29-09 09:13 AM
    Thanks for the quick replies. I thought I had purchased extra memory for the phone but maybe not?? I just let the phone guy set everything up. I do seem to be storing the photos in the device memory so I guess I don't have a memory card. Drat! I told him I wanted one!

I suppose when I get home I will have to go back in to the store. Will I lose all my settings and things if I have to put in one now? I think I read you have to pull the battery?

What size should I buy then?
    You don't have to wait. Depending on where you are on vacation you should be able to go into any retailer that sells electronics (Wal Mart, BestBuy, Office Max) and buy a micro sd card. They are very easy to install. The size of the card you can hold depends on your Operating System that's currently on your phone. You can go to options>about to see your current OS. It will say v4.?.?.?. Once you determine that you can see what capacity you can hold. Here's the limits on media cards with their respective Operating Systems...

BlackBerry Device Software version Media card size limit
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0 Up to 2 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0.81 and later Up to 16 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.6.0 and later Up to 32 GB

Hope this helps ya.
    04-29-09 09:23 AM
    Not to hijack the thread but do photos and ringers that you download automatically save on the memory card???
    04-29-09 10:04 AM
    You don't have to wait. Depending on where you are on vacation you should be able to go into any retailer that sells electronics (Wal Mart, BestBuy, Office Max) and buy a micro sd card. They are very easy to install. The size of the card you can hold depends on your Operating System that's currently on your phone. You can go to options>about to see your current OS. It will say v4.?.?.?. Once you determine that you can see what capacity you can hold. Here's the limits on media cards with their respective Operating Systems...

BlackBerry Device Software version Media card size limit
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0 Up to 2 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0.81 and later Up to 16 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.6.0 and later Up to 32 GB

Hope this helps ya.
    Thanks for all the information. Wish I had gotten back online to take your advice. I was in Orlando, too busy at the theme parks.

I am gonna head out this afternoon to get a memory card.

Just curious now, after checking out the size of cards available. Right now I can get the 8MG card, since I have version V4.3.0.12 OS. So far I haven't ventured into updating my OS. Is there any real reason to do so before I get the new memory card? What is the advantge of having an updated OS?

Thanks again for the advice. I love this site!
    05-03-09 10:22 AM
    Hmm. Another question for you guys. I just went online to both Alltel and Best Buy. It seems they don't have 8MG memory cards. Is that possible? I hate to get to a place and find out they don't have what I want.

Do I have to order it online?
    05-03-09 10:27 AM
    I ordered mine on line, and it was a lot cheaper than what everyone else was selling them for. I purchased my 8 GB card from NewEgg.com for $18.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-09 10:33 AM
    I ordered mine on line, and it was a lot cheaper than what everyone else was selling them for. I purchased my 8 GB card from NewEgg.com for $18.

From doing some online searching, NewEgg seems to be a top contender. It also has free shipping.

There seems to be more than one type of SanDisk card though, with about a $20 difference in price. One says newest or something like that.

Is it worth spending the extra $$

This is what I am looking at from NewEgg, with free shipping.
    SanDisk 8GB Micro SDHC Flash Card Model SDSDQ008GA11M for $30.99 and free shipping.
    Last edited by Romeobulldog; 05-03-09 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added info
    05-03-09 10:51 AM
    If you are doing a search for a "MB" you will definitely not find an 8MB card. You need to be looking for GB (gigabytes). Hope that helps!

05-03-09 11:07 AM
    If you are doing a search for a "MB" you will definitely not find an 8MB card. You need to be looking for GB (gigabytes). Hope that helps!

Thanks. Sorry, typo on that.
    05-03-09 11:17 AM
    I got my 8GB SanDisk for $19.99 @ the local Radio Shack.
    05-03-09 11:35 AM
    If you don't have a card you cannot take video and you can barely take any pictures.

Go to walmart, radioshack or anywhere and get a microsd card. NOT A MINI SD CARD. They are different.

They are really cheap. Like the previous person said he got an 8gb card for 20 dollars at radio shack. 8gb will hold thousands of pictures. I only have 1 gig myself and I have about 300 pictures on there and it's not even a fraction of taken up.
    05-03-09 11:43 AM
    Not to insult but check to see if you have a card installed. I had one installed 1 GB but needed to go in and set the media card up for my preference to store my pics on. It originally just stored them to my phone. I now have a 8GB SDHC bought two for around $20. If you get a SDHC card you might want to get a HC reader. you can find them for under $6 on line.
    05-03-09 03:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD