Hello,

After a long drawn out affair between Rogers (my carrier), T-mobile, and RIM, it turns out that "due to unauthorized tampering with factory settings on your phone", it has been blacklisted for BlackBerry data.

Basically, I got an unlocked phone from a store...voice/SMS works fine, but I couldn't register on BIS or use data. RIM opened a case and got back to me today with the above response (or something similar).

Am I SOL? Sounds pretty...final. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to want to give me anything in writing so I can bother the store I bought it from (CELL 123 at Pacific Mall in Markham Ontario...)
    10-27-09 03:29 PM
    Yes, its been blocked for good, it may have been lost, reported stolen etc before someone took it to that store for resale.
    10-27-09 03:36 PM
    I'd be back in that store today, demanding a new phone or full refund!

If they said no, Id tell them you're getting the police involved for accepting stolen merchandise. Arent these guys responsible to ensure it has a clean esn? I mean, Com'on! This poor guy buys a phone from a retailer. They should be responsible.

As you can tell, I wouldn't take it well...lol. Id start nicely and explain, and tell them you want a phone with a clean esn, or a full refund immediately.

Then tell them their new residence will be the same as their business name "Cell 123"
    Last edited by berryfit; 10-27-09 at 03:47 PM.
    10-27-09 03:44 PM
    RIM did technically say something along the lines of "unauthorized tampering" versus "stolen", though the end result is the same.

This store is some small little kiosk at an Asian mall. A "final sale" type of place. I can guarantee you the conversation will not go well, in fact, they will probably "forget" how to speak English as soon as I tell them the issue.
    10-27-09 03:52 PM
    good luck getting an exchange or refund at pac mall. let us know how it goes.
    10-27-09 04:02 PM
    Hmmm… maybe go down there with a local officer to see if they won't give your money back. Might cost you a couple of donuts.. You could see with rim if the phone is stolen or just has an un paid plan against it..
    10-27-09 04:15 PM
    If it was a legitimate purchase, from a legitimate store, I don't see what the problem is.

You go back to the store, tell them what the situation is, and ask for a refund.

By the way, how did RIM communicate this information to you, and how is it "they didn't seem to want to give me anything in writing so I can bother the store I bought it from"? I dont fully understand what you mean.

Good luck.
    10-27-09 04:24 PM
    Yes, go back to the store and ask for a refund or a new device, there's nothing else you can do with that device...
    10-27-09 04:28 PM
    Your only hope is to get your money back. There is no work around once RIM blocks your pin. Data works through their servers which gives them complete control in the matter.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-09 05:43 PM
    If it was a legitimate purchase, from a legitimate store, I don't see what the problem is.

You go back to the store, tell them what the situation is, and ask for a refund.

By the way, how did RIM communicate this information to you, and how is it "they didn't seem to want to give me anything in writing so I can bother the store I bought it from"? I dont fully understand what you mean.

Good luck.
    That's the thing...it's Pacific Mall! LOL. Lefty gets what I mean. It is a store, of sorts, but I question the legitimacy. In any case...I will be taking it back ASAP...I called them and explained the situation and they said bring it in, of course, when I do, I'll hear every excuse under the sun, I'm sure.

I have a ticket open with them through their call centre. I asked for the explanation in writing or in an email, and they said no, probably because they don't want to get involved in any battles...so that's what I mean in terms of "proving" to this store that RIM indeed blacklisted the phone. I'm thinking of recording the call so I do have some proof
    10-28-09 08:27 AM
    Just threaten with small claims court.
    10-28-09 09:05 AM
    It's easier and less stressful to cut your loss and sell that phone on fleabay or cg, but list it as having bad PIN. And get another berry with good PIN.

There are people out there who love good quality berries but no need for bis.

Good luck next time.
    10-28-09 03:49 PM
    Final update:

Took the phone back, store gave me 85% of purchase price towards another - reason being it took me so long to go back! I would have preferred 100%, but I suppose I understand (should have listened to you lot earlier).

Got a Bold instead (payed more obviously), but ensured it worked in the store before leaving.

The owner was surprised it didn't work and said he would be contacting his "supplier", though I wouldn't be surprised if the phone goes back on the shelf. He goes "look, it's scratched...I can't re-sell it"...I'm like "yea, because it doesn't work!". Anyway, done and done...appreciate all your advice!
    11-02-09 08:18 AM
    Be careful about buying Blackberrys in the future!! Some stores are shady!
    11-02-09 11:43 AM
    I know sprint will but I would get insurance on the device for a while. Carriers will usually let you sign up in first 30 days…. New or used they will insure...
    11-02-09 04:04 PM
    I'm glad it worked out for you, I'm surprised you got any sort of a refund in the Pacific mall. Maybe ever since that guy in one of the cell phone stores got shot and killed (police think because they refused to return a phone) they eased up on their return policy.
    11-02-09 06:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD