Hello, I'm new to the blackberry world and I've been downloading applications and trying them out and deleting them. I've had some memory problems and have gotten it back up to 10 MB after deleting stuff and doing battery pulls etc. I have one program (blackberry tipper) that will not delete, no matter what i do. I think the memory is still too low and I would like to do a wipe and start fresh. but my questions are:

1. Do i have to connect to a computer to wipe the device? I use a mac and have yet to get pocketmac to work properly and I doubt it would even have the wipe function anyway.

2. Will i lose my contacts? and do i need to remove the media card and sim card?

any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    02-06-09 09:24 AM
    Yes, you need to connect to a computer. I don't have a Mac, but it's fairly easy on the PC. A little research will probably help you figure out how to do it on a mac. Or, you could borrow some time on a PC

1) Follow these instructions to wipe your BB: How to wipe with JL Cmder
    2) BlackBerry 101: How to reload the operating system on a nuked blackberry

Oh, and be sure to check out Blackberry 101: How to free up memory on your blackberry smartphone
    Last edited by cae2685; 02-06-09 at 09:38 AM.
    02-06-09 09:36 AM
    I have wiped blackberries without connecting them to PCs by going to options > security options > general settings. Then hit the BB Menu button and choose "wipe handheld."
    02-06-09 09:38 AM
    Does that wipe the device, or just delete all user info and reset to factory settings? The steps I outlined above will COMPLETELY wipe the blackberry (including the operating system and EVERYTHING you have installed) and show you how to reinstall the operating system. A completely fresh start.
    02-06-09 10:02 AM
    It sounds like you are trying to wipe your device back to factory settings, not wipe the whole OS off the device.

You can do this by going to options-security options-general options-menu button- wipe handheld

This will erase all your contacts, if you want to keep those contacts you will have to do a back up on a PC, i have heard alot of problems with MAC and blackberrys, but if you do do this you would have to use pocketMac
    02-06-09 10:06 AM
    Going back to factory settings is fine. But Pocketmac is piece of crap and I cant get it to back up my contacts or anything for that matter. It will sometimes install software but will rarely uninstall it. I guess i'll see if I can borrow a PC for a while.
    02-06-09 10:27 AM
    Is there another way to wipe my bb with out using JL Cmder? I couldn't seem to get it to run on my pc. The only reason I want to wipe is to see if I can get rid of the lag time. I upgraded before the offical release.
    02-06-09 12:53 PM
    OKay, I wiped the device just using the device itself with the options menu. Contacts were not deleted, they are on the sim card. Memory is back up to 27 mb but I am missing Docs To Go. I just had the free versions that were preloaded, but is there a way to get them back?
    02-06-09 02:02 PM
    OKay, I wiped the device just using the device itself with the options menu. Contacts were not deleted, they are on the sim card. Memory is back up to 27 mb but I am missing Docs To Go. I just had the free versions that were preloaded, but is there a way to get them back?
    You should be able to get Docs to Go back by using the Apploader function in Desktop Manager. Open Apploader and make sure Docs to Go is checked off. If it isn't there, then you might have to do a complete wipe, then reload the OS making sure that Docs to Go is checked off before loading the OS.

Edit: I just checked, in Apploader, Documents to Go does show up so you should be able to just select it and load it onto your BB.
    Last edited by dvdfan2k; 02-06-09 at 02:12 PM.
    02-06-09 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD