I recently picked up a "scrap" 8310 that someone was trowing away due to it being "completely dead," as he put it. But due to my natural urge to fix stuff, I figured I've give repairing it a go. However, I must say that I'm completely stumped.

I put in the battery and the red light indicator comes on for 5 seconds, then nothing. Screen is completely black.

I connect it to the computer, Desktop Manager recognizes it. I wiped it with JL Cmdr, and reinstalled the OS. No issues to report, but screen is still black.

I can interact with it via the computer; add/remove apps, add/remove media, etc. Screen is still black.

I figured it might be a loose screen connector, so I disassembled the Curve and made sure the connector was still tightly in place. No dice, screen is still black, even though the LCD unit appears to be in perfect condition.

Is this just a defective screen and picking up a replacement would fix this? Or is this somehow a deeper issue?

This isn't a battery or liquid damage issue as the water damage stickers are still white, and the battery is the one from my own Curve.

Hopefully someone has some insight on how I can proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    01-30-09 11:26 AM
    I'm assuming that you have the handheld OS installed on your computer? The symptoms you are describing sound just like when I bricked my phone on Monday. Check out under the Newbies link, the Tips, How To & FAQ, "How do I recover a dead blackberry". That may be of use to you.

When that didn't work for mine, I downloaded the DM and OS to another computer and was able to revive it that way. I think my problem with the command prompt was that my main computer is an old server and didn't want to cooperate.

Check out that area, it is a lifesaver!
    01-30-09 11:40 AM
    If he wiped and reinstalled the OS and can add remove apps with DM then he doesn't have a bricked berry. Sounds like something with the lcd.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-09 11:46 AM
    Oops, sorry.......I guess I didn't read thoroughly enough
    Sorry!
    01-30-09 11:48 AM
    No one else has any other ideas? I guess the consensus is an LCD issue?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-09 09:26 PM
    I have a similar issue. Try this
    put the battery in the phone. Wait about a good 3 minutes. then connect to your computer. then using JL Cmdr, take a screen shot (i think its option 3 or 4) if you get a picture of your blackberry desktop then we are going somewhere.

I got a hold of another 8320 and was able to test my black screen on that phone and it works. so i dont think its the lcd been the issue. Can you get a hand on another phone to test?

I really want to get my phone up and running but am running out of ideas.
    02-02-09 06:08 PM
    Try this
    put the battery in the phone. Wait about a good 3 minutes. then connect to your computer. then using JL Cmdr, take a screen shot (i think its option 3 or 4).
    I will give this a try when I get home tonight; I hadn't actually thought of that but its a damn good idea.

Can you get a hand on another phone to test?
    Sadly, no. I sold my Curve when I picked up the Bold.

I really want to get my phone up and running but am running out of ideas.
    I take it you tried to get the screenshot of the desktop and succeeded and if I understand your post, you also verified that it's not the screen LCD because it works when connected to another BB?
    02-03-09 08:14 AM
    I take it you tried to get the screenshot of the desktop and succeeded and if I understand your post, you also verified that it's not the screen LCD because it works when connected to another BB?
    Exactly. I get to see the change date popup ( im at work so i dont have the phone infront of me to re do it)

And my girlfriends brother has a 8230 so i just swapped lcd (put mine in his) and it his phone fired right up. no problems at all. Now that i think of it i should have used his screen on my phone huh. maybe next time
    02-04-09 06:10 PM
    Exactly. I get to see the change date popup ( im at work so i dont have the phone infront of me to re do it)

And my girlfriends brother has a 8230 so i just swapped lcd (put mine in his) and it his phone fired right up. no problems at all. Now that i think of it i should have used his screen on my phone huh. maybe next time
    I haven't yet gotten around to trying it, as I am short one battery; I sold my Curve so I no longer have access to a battery. As soon as I pick up a new battery, then I'll give it a try.

But considering that your screen worked fine on another Curve, it's not looking like an LCD issue. Perhaps the screen is somehow shorting out?
    02-05-09 06:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD