how do I veiw pdf files on 8330? I have a pdf attachment i sent myself from work and it says pdf removed in the message.
    09-08-08 01:31 PM
    is your bes filtering out attachments? my attachements (pdf) are shown at the bottom, from there, i can dl them to my microsd.
    09-08-08 02:12 PM
    1. has you work email removed or already downloaded the message... if so then it will not retrieve the email attachment. I have this problem with images from my BIS/verizon.net account... Even w/ settings to leave on the server......

2. You have message attachment installed right.?
    09-08-08 02:14 PM
    evreything should be set up correctly. i opened the file at work and then forwarded it to my cell phone. i also tried to forward the message with the pdf as an attachment.
    09-08-08 02:26 PM
    ... it says pdf removed in the message.
    There is your problem. Your email does not permit attachments.

Your company has implemented this policy for a reason. You will have to justify your case if you want it removed.
    09-08-08 02:47 PM
    As an alternative explanation, could it be that the pdf is too large? The question of maximum attachment sizes came up a while back (and was repeated this morning). I found this in the "Administration Guide, BlackBerry Professional Software for Microsoft Exchange, Version 4.1 SP4"
    Controlling the size of attachments that users can receive on their BlackBerry devices
    By default, the BlackBerry� Attachment Service in the BlackBerry� Professional Software does not limit the file size of an attachment that is embedded in a message or retrieved through a link. The BlackBerry Professional Software sends data to the BlackBerry device in packets that are no larger than 64 KB; however, the BlackBerry Professional Software can send an unlimited number of packets. To control attachment file size, you can specify a maximum file size for attachments. You can also configure the maximum dimension for images.
    Suggested file sizes for attachments
    File format Suggested size
    Adobe� Acrobat� Versions 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 less than 2000 KB
    Microsoft� Excel� Versions 97, 2000, 2003, 2007, and XP less than 2000 KB
    Microsoft� PowerPoint� Versions 97, 2000, 2003, 2007, and XP less than 2000 KB
    Microsoft� Word Versions 97, 2000, 2003, 2007, and XP less than 2000 KB
    Corel� WordPerfect� Versions 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0 (2000), and 10.0 less than 2000 KB
    ASCII text less than 100 KB
    HTML less than 100 KB
    ZIP archives less than 2000 KB
    images less than 2000 KB
    audio less than 2000 KB
    MP3 less than 2000 KB
    Rich Text Format less than 2000 KB

Configure the maximum file size for attachments
    You can change the maximum file size of attachment file formats to control the amount of memory that the BlackBerry� Attachment Service in the BlackBerry� Professional Software uses during the attachment conversion process. Consider changing the default configuration if the BlackBerry Attachment Service must respond to multiple users who request conversions for large or complex attachments (especially .pdf files and ASCII text files that are larger than 2 MB), or if it must respond to multiple users who request large or complex documents within the same period of time (0 to 10 minutes) while the BlackBerry Attachment Service processes large conversions.
    1. On the server that hosts the BlackBerry Professional Software, on the taskbar, click Start > BlackBerry Server Configuration.
    2. Click the Attachment Server tab.
    3. In the Distiller Settings section, in the Max. File Size (Kb) column, click the value for the distiller that you want to change.
    4. Type a value in kilobits.
    5. Click OK.
    09-08-08 02:53 PM
    There is your problem. Your email does not permit attachments.

Your company has implemented this policy for a reason. You will have to justify your case if you want it removed.
    not sure. i can forward emails from work to my home email with pdf attachments with no problem.
    09-08-08 03:07 PM
    As an alternative explanation, could it be that the pdf is too large? The question of maximum attachment sizes came up a while back (and was repeated this morning). I found this in the "Administration Guide, BlackBerry Professional Software for Microsoft Exchange, Version 4.1 SP4"
    Controlling the size of attachments that users can receive on their BlackBerry devices
    By default, the BlackBerry� Attachment Service in the BlackBerry� Professional Software does not limit the file size of an attachment that is embedded in a message or retrieved through a link. The BlackBerry Professional Software sends data to the BlackBerry device in packets that are no larger than 64 KB; however, the BlackBerry Professional Software can send an unlimited number of packets. To control attachment file size, you can specify a maximum file size for attachments. You can also configure the maximum dimension for images.
    Suggested file sizes for attachments
    File format Suggested size
    Adobe� Acrobat� Versions 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 less than 2000 KB
    Microsoft� Excel� Versions 97, 2000, 2003, 2007, and XP less than 2000 KB
    Microsoft� PowerPoint� Versions 97, 2000, 2003, 2007, and XP less than 2000 KB
    Microsoft� Word Versions 97, 2000, 2003, 2007, and XP less than 2000 KB
    Corel� WordPerfect� Versions 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0 (2000), and 10.0 less than 2000 KB
    ASCII text less than 100 KB
    HTML less than 100 KB
    ZIP archives less than 2000 KB
    images less than 2000 KB
    audio less than 2000 KB
    MP3 less than 2000 KB
    Rich Text Format less than 2000 KB

Configure the maximum file size for attachments
    You can change the maximum file size of attachment file formats to control the amount of memory that the BlackBerry� Attachment Service in the BlackBerry� Professional Software uses during the attachment conversion process. Consider changing the default configuration if the BlackBerry Attachment Service must respond to multiple users who request conversions for large or complex attachments (especially .pdf files and ASCII text files that are larger than 2 MB), or if it must respond to multiple users who request large or complex documents within the same period of time (0 to 10 minutes) while the BlackBerry Attachment Service processes large conversions.
    1. On the server that hosts the BlackBerry Professional Software, on the taskbar, click Start > BlackBerry Server Configuration.
    2. Click the Attachment Server tab.
    3. In the Distiller Settings section, in the Max. File Size (Kb) column, click the value for the distiller that you want to change.
    4. Type a value in kilobits.
    5. Click OK.
    thanks for the amazing info. i will try it out.
    09-08-08 03:10 PM
    1. has you work email removed or already downloaded the message... if so then it will not retrieve the email attachment. I have this problem with images from my BIS/verizon.net account... Even w/ settings to leave on the server......

2. You have message attachment installed right.?
    i think this response explains what is going on for me. i get the attachments if they are new and unopened but if i open it on my work cpu and forward it to my bb it doesnt forward the attachment. i was trying to forward a schedule in pdf format that i had already opened which wouldnt forward but would not forward. i figured out i need to save the file and create a new email and attach the file to it. i just tried it and it worked. thanks all for your help. ed
    Last edited by BigCoin; 09-08-08 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typo
    09-08-08 03:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD