As a proud 8330 Curve owner for nearly two years now, you'd think I'd know the answer to this, but I've searched and have come up with nothing. I never had a password on my phone and decided to enable one, which I did successfully. However, I've always hit the mute button and placed my phone on standby when not in use (to conserve battery life) and what's to stop someone who finds my phone from simply hitting the mute button, taking it out of standby and using it? How do I password-protect out of standby?
    09-08-10 01:14 PM
    Just set up a password so the phone locks when idle after a certain time like a min up to an hour. You could also just hit the "k" key to lock the phone and then press the standby button.
    09-08-10 01:22 PM
    When in use, the password feature keeps the phone locked whether it's in standby or not; they're mutually exclusive functions. I do the same thing. Even if my Curve is locked, I often hit the standby button when I'm not using a holster. If someone does take it out of standby, he'll still have to enter the password to access the data.

A few tips:

1. You can choose whether or not to allow outgoing phone calls when the device is locked.

2. If you do choose to allow outgoing phone calls when your device is locked, you can choose whether or not your address book will be accessible. (Mine is not.)

One caveat: I'm finding that my device's notification profile EXCEPTIONS and my contacts' custom ring tones don't work when it's locked IF THE ADDRESS BOOK IS INCLUDED IN CONTENT PROTECTION; the phone rings with whichever notification profile is in use at the time. If the address book is not content protected, they work.
    Last edited by T�nis; 09-08-10 at 06:33 PM.
    09-08-10 02:30 PM
    I have OS 5.0. If I lock my phone first, I can then enter standby mode. So when I hit the mute button, it still is locked, and I have to enter a password again.
    09-08-10 05:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD