Hi, Sorry if this has been covered already, But my IT person at work switched my contacts over to a new device i bought to replace my curve that had water damage and all of a sudden i have to put in a 6 character password instead of 4 like the old one. I think he updated the security software but i want to go back to the 4 character password. How can I do this? Please help. Thanks.
    06-16-08 08:38 AM
    You can change the password in Options/Security/General Options. However, if your IT policy has changed to require 6-char passwords, there's nothing you can do about it. It won't hurt to try to change it, but you won't be able to, if an IT policy is controlling it. If you see a small red lock beside the menu entry, that's a sign there's an IT policy in place. However, you can have a policy that mandates passwords but doesn't set their length, so go ahead and try.

If there's no red lock, there's no IT policy controlling your password and you can change it at will.
    06-16-08 08:44 AM
    I picked up a used 8900 that the previous owner wiped, but the IT Policy remained. When I first used it, it MADE me setup a password, and would not allow me to 'disable' it.
    I followed naviwilliams's instructions here:
    forums.crackberry.com/f3/remove-i-t-policy-blackberry-569
    to get rid of the policy, and it worked fine except that upon reboot it now wants a 6 character password. My "Work" 9000/Bold has a 4, and in the event I actually lock the device - I want it to have the same 4 character password. I assume the definition was in the policy.bin file.

Am I correct in that assumption? Is there another way of dropping it back down to 4?

TIA

Don
    03-15-10 05:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD