View Poll Results: What Palm OS Applications do you miss most?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Calendar

25 71.43%
  • Tasks

9 25.71%
  • Memo

5 14.29%
  • Email

0 0%
  • Video

4 11.43%
  • Phone

6 17.14%
  • Web

0 0%
  • More applications with free trials before buying

10 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    I just switched over to a Blackberry Curve from Palm OS. I really liked the Palm OS, but the BB is by far a superior little machine. Both devices have their pluses and minuses, so I am not going to go into a banter to bash the palm os. I'm curious to see what other Palm converts miss about their Palm OS?
    01-14-08 07:26 PM
    You have left one item out of an otherwise complete list of choices..."Nothing".

I was really trying to be a Treo-phile...really, I was. I owned a 650, two 680's and even a (thank God, for a short time only) 750...so I gave it all I had. But...to me, everything about the BlackBerry is better, seriously.

Simpler, easier to manipulate one-handed, slimmer/sexier, faster, more robust OS...much better email and overall communication performance, louder/clearer earpiece, better reception/signal-capture, MUCH more reliable and stable...and a more complete package altogether.

I'm not bashing the Palm OS or Treos in general, since I have friends that love them...and would never consider anything else, especially a BlackBerry. I have tried every smartphone out there...or almost every one, and the BlackBerry is the top of the heap IMHO...and I don't miss my Treos.
    01-14-08 08:49 PM
    The only thing I miss is docs2go, and 1st qtr 08 is supposed to fix that!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-08 09:05 PM
    You have left one item out of an otherwise complete list of choices..."Nothing".

Touche!!
    Last edited by cheflionfoot; 01-14-08 at 09:35 PM.
    01-14-08 09:32 PM
    The only thing I miss is docs2go,
    How could i forget that one?! Miss that big time, and Pocket Quicken! But still looove my curve. I can live without those and have a reliable piece of equipment.
    01-14-08 09:35 PM
    Yikes. That's some tough poll up there. Honestly, other than the abundance of software that's available for the Treo, there's not a single thing I miss. And know what? Of the titles I wanted to run on my PDA, I've found comparable programs for the BB.

I'm an old-timer with Palm, going back to the Palm III, through their take-over of Handspring, and up to the Treo. Me and Palm? We had a solid relationship. We were LIKE THIS. In recent years though, I'd come to wonder about all those BlackBerry lunatics who raved endlessly about their toy. It's a PDA, for goodness sake!

Now, I Get It.

This product is so intuitive, so well-designed, and so SMART! I've gone beyond being a convert. Now, I'm a BlackBerry lunatic!!!

There's not a single thing I miss about Palm or Treo. In the PDA/phone games, the BB beats everyone, including Palm, all hollow.

Now, if you were to ask, "What about the Palm/Treo don't you miss?"...well, I'd have a whole laundry list to share.
    01-14-08 09:36 PM
    You forgot the SMS style that the treo had. thats about the only thing I miss.
    01-14-08 10:27 PM
    Datebk 6 and icons for monthly views. I really miss the calendar program on the Treo....BUT....the Blackberry WAY makes up for that with everything it offers. I wouldn't go back and I have been a Palm user since the original Palm Pilot.
    01-14-08 11:00 PM
    Docs To Go!!!!
    01-15-08 08:24 AM
    Oh come on people!!!! Stop trying to be so politically correct! If you held a palm in your hand for three minutes, this question is not for you. This is an awesome poll Chef. This question is for the person who had a Treo on their hip for years and thought his/her world was right there in it. The fact that you now have a BB already shows that you know the Blackberry is a superior machine, but there are some things the BB can learn from Palm.

I had each model Treo as they came out, and just switched to a Curve because the Treo today is the same thing it was years ago. No new innovations. But, some of the built in applications are far better than the BB apps.

Here are my choices Chef, and kudos to you for having the guts to ask such a question. That's like going to Yankee stadium and asking fans what they miss about the Red Sox.

1) By far, the Tasks app on Palm. The look and way it works is way better. If you used a Palm for ten years, you'll know what I mean.

2) Calendar - The one thing I miss is the "look up" feature in the Palm OS that allows you to paste a contact's name and number with just a few letters of their first or last name".

3) Documents to go - The ability to create and edit Word and excel documents is priceless as a business person.

4) Video recording ability

5) SMS text ability to keep your texts with one person in a conversation format.

6) And what is it with third party. BB Applications that you have to buy so many without a trial??

One program I wish that was made for BB also is Pocket Quicken. If you are a Quicken desktop user and travel and used Pocket Quicken, you'll know exactly what I mean. Nothing even comes close. And I don't think Landware will ever develop it for BB

But don't get me wrong at all. I rather have my BB Curve, now all of four months old in my hand than an unreliable palm any day.

" Hello, my name is Jack, and I have been sober of Palm for three months now "

" Hello Jack "

" Now I'm a Crack - Berry addict!"

" Welcome Jack, Welcome "
    01-15-08 08:46 AM
    SlingPlayer, streaming media, and DocsToGo. As others have said, those should be available this quarter. Still hoping the Curve comes to Sprint (my ancient plan is too good to beat) so I can finally get back to one device that fits in my shirt pocket.
    01-15-08 08:49 AM
    I just got my BB last Friday and the only thing I truly miss is Documents to Go. I have ordered and paid for the eOffice but it's just not the same.

I am patiently waiting for DataViz to get their blackberry version up and running.

On the positive - I love not having two devices (cell phone and Palm T|X).
    01-15-08 09:20 AM
    touch screen, all the free apps, the speed of my treo =(
    01-15-08 12:43 PM
    As for the device itself, I don't miss anything.

I do miss:

The VFS file system that allows apps to run from a memory card.

PIM sync.

One touch synchronization. Much faster than firing up DM.

Agendus (I tried Agendus for BB, but it in no way resembles the Palm version).

Supernames.

Launcher X.
    01-13-09 07:20 AM
    I miss three things:
    -Bike-Or-Die
    -NES Emulation
    -Fake Call app that activates just by toggling the silent mode switch.

Other than those, I have never looked back!

01-13-09 08:03 AM
    electric razor and dope wars haha
    01-13-09 08:06 AM
    Can I just first start off by saying I LOVE MY BLACKBERRY!?!

That being said, the things I miss the most are Datebk6 and the ability to change the resolution size. I paid a lot of money to have LASIK (LOL) so I should still have the ability to change my fonts to a ridiculously small size to fit more on my screen. I already have my fonts the smallest that they go on my Curve and would like to go even tinier....
    01-13-09 08:13 AM
    touch screen
    01-13-09 08:29 AM
    I miss the huge bulge in my pocket.

i liked the touch screen, but I'm loving how much slimmer my BB is.
    01-13-09 09:03 AM
    I only miss my free trial stopwatch/countdown timer. I have yet to find one for BB. I did more battery pulls on my Treo 700w than I ever do with my BB.
    01-13-09 09:14 AM
    Umm so many but still happy with my blackberry.

I cant edit word and excel anymore.
    My palm was faster.
    I love the SMS text that my Treo had
    01-13-09 09:27 AM
    I had totally forgotten about DopeWars! I wonder where my Z22 is so I can fire up a game... Good times, goooooooood times

01-13-09 11:44 AM
    Docs to go, definitely
    01-13-09 12:28 PM
    DTG is there in the 4.5 OS update. I still miss SlingPlayer and native threaded sms. Mms would be good too, but I've survived without it on Sprint.

01-13-09 12:35 PM
    I miss Docs to Go, threaded SMS messages and MMS. Other than those I like my Curve more than my Treo 755p.

01-13-09 12:36 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD