This morning I woke up, and my Blackberry was fully charged. I went to work, went through the normal day. Checked my phone every hour or so. After lunch, I checked my phone, and noticed it was a little warm. So i put it back in my pocket and went about my business. I thought about it for a little bit, pulled it back out about 15 minutes later and it was at a point I would call hot. I looked at the battery gauge and it was down under 2 units. Considering I had sent/received about 20 texts and made one call that lasted under a minute, I knew this was not right. So I turned my phone off to be safe.

I just got home, turned my phone and after a minute, it was quite warm again. I just got my blackberry around March, possibly April.

What is wrong/what can I do?
    07-11-08 05:33 PM
    what apps do you have installed? installed any news ones lately?

it's likely your battery is shot, but it COULD be an app.
    07-11-08 05:41 PM
    Haven't added an app in a month or two, more than likely the latter. How could my battery be shot in less than 4 months?
    07-11-08 05:44 PM
    Have your dropped or gotten your BB wet lately?
    07-11-08 05:46 PM
    Nope. I keep it in my pocket most of the time, but I have had 2 phones in the past (some ****ty sanyo phone and a sidekick 2) that I kept in my pockets all the time and they never overheated and I owned both for over 2 years. This is my first big problem with Blackberry, but this is a huge problem, and if I have to get a new battery, I am seriously gonna reconsider my thoughts on Blackberry and RIM.
    07-11-08 05:48 PM
    I would not mess with anything else and take it straight to an official TMo Store... should be covered under warranty!! That is ridiculous... and actually quite scary

My device never even gets above room temp... never even fealt it get hot cept body heat!
    07-11-08 05:48 PM
    accidents happen. just a bad battery with a loose cell, now it's just shorting out. think of yourself as lucky... you're one in a million. go buy a lottery ticket.

and no need to go hardball on RIM. nokias were blowing up left and right a few years ago, and laptops were blowing up all summer 2 years ago. sh*t can happen in the manufacturing process.
    07-11-08 06:12 PM
    accidents happen. just a bad battery with a loose cell, now it's just shorting out. think of yourself as lucky... you're one in a million. go buy a lottery ticket.

and no need to go hardball on RIM. nokias were blowing up left and right a few years ago, and laptops were blowing up all summer 2 years ago. sh*t can happen in the manufacturing process.
    Even some Apple laptops exploded into flames a couple years ago. Regardless of company reputation, sometimes bad things happen.

Like my Honda. Bought it new in 02 based exclusively on its reputation for reliability. It has been much LESS reliable than my Ford pickup truck - which had 90k on it when I bought it used. Stuff happens.
    07-11-08 07:09 PM
    I can speak from experience... GO TO Tmo and demand a new battery. They'll give you one. And if they don't demand to talk to a mgr. Or if you want to...call in and have them send you one.

I'm not condoning being a ***** about it. But they need to know this is a defective Battery and need to replace it.

Also...do you pay for the protection plan?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 07:27 PM
    When I have a problem with my phone I go to the store where I bought it. I go right past the salesperson and ask for the manager. I always ask for a new phone first. That way I get a brand new phone with no scratches. Keep the phone on until it gets hot and then go to the store. It also helps if you put on a little show for the other customers so they can see what kind of customer service they will get if they have a problem. If you don't have a PP get one, it will pay of itself.
    07-11-08 08:23 PM
    My job is in an area that regularly gets above 100 deg f, I'm outside enough, our work shirts are black. I keep my curve in my shirt pocket, and often pull it out and find it damp with sweat (yes I agree, gross). I've never felt it unusually hot, and never had issues. I'm not advocating keeping it on your dashboard all day to see how extreme the temp can get, but I'd be surprised if your body heat could affect the hardware unless you're some type of super hero.

07-12-08 02:08 AM
    My tmo 8320 had been doing the same thing over the last week or so. I thought it was a bug in OS 4.05.x so I upgraded to the newest OS and now its fine. Maybe it was something tmo was doing with the BIS upgrade, now that I hear someone else had the same problem.
    07-12-08 02:27 AM
    I had a TMo Dash awhile back and it did exactly the same thing. TMo refused to do anything about it and swore up and down that they had never heard of a phone doing that, unfortunatly my warranty was about a month past so I guess I really didn't have the ground to stand on. I hope my curve doesn't do it also cuz then I might have to fork out the money for a bold when it comes out. :-). Oh well I guess I could make the sacrifice for an uograde.

07-12-08 05:24 AM
    Hi,

I'm facing the same problem as you. Last week my Blackberry became to be hot and the battery was down. I had charged the battery twice and the same problem happened. Afterwards I can't turn on my bb, I try to charge the battery (even with the USB cable) but nothing happens and the cell keeps off. I did a test with another battery and as soon as I turned on the device it started to be warm. What can I do? Have you solved your problem?

This morning I woke up, and my Blackberry was fully charged. I went to work, went through the normal day. Checked my phone every hour or so. After lunch, I checked my phone, and noticed it was a little warm. So i put it back in my pocket and went about my business. I thought about it for a little bit, pulled it back out about 15 minutes later and it was at a point I would call hot. I looked at the battery gauge and it was down under 2 units. Considering I had sent/received about 20 texts and made one call that lasted under a minute, I knew this was not right. So I turned my phone off to be safe.

I just got home, turned my phone and after a minute, it was quite warm again. I just got my blackberry around March, possibly April.

What is wrong/what can I do?
    08-02-08 04:30 PM
    Same thing with my blackberry curve on verizon network. Some days, the battery life is superb, other days is like the one you just described. On the days it overheats, I have it in my pants pocket. I've never had it get hot when I put it in holster. Don't know if it's an app issue or a hardware issue. Overall very disappointed. I specifically changed from Droid phone to a blackberry because of perceived longer battery life, but my old Droid lasted me at least the whole day.
    09-10-10 09:54 PM
    my old curve battery swelled up so it looked like a minor parabola.

I bought one from amazon for $4. end of story.
    09-11-10 01:09 AM
    I've had 2 blackberry's in less than 3 months. My first one was plugged in to charge and not turned on. It became very hot and wouldn't turn on. It was replaced under warranty.

My new blackberry just did the same thing, got really hot to the touch and won't turn on.

I have never dropped, gotten wet, frozen, or done any damage to it. I take great care in keeping it in mint condition so it will last me a long time.

I had a cheap LG phone before this and got great coverage (not the same with the blackberry) and never had any problems with it. I am very disappointed because this is the second time I've lost all information, contacts, calendars...etc... and would like a different phone instead of having the company replace mine over and over again.
    09-17-10 12:55 PM
    There have been a lot of problems with blackberry's overheating.
    09-24-10 03:35 PM
    Same issue with bb Z10 a day after i bought. it was hot in my pocket to the extent that i feel it on my lap. i returned it the next day to the outlet where i bought. still waiting to hear from them.
    04-05-13 06:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD