Is it possible to over-charge my battery? I tend to plug it in and leave it there overnight, every night.

My battery, however, will die by the end of the afternoon if I use it for searching online and texting and the occasional taken/sent/received picture. Usually, it's 1-4 per day.
    I don't listen to music on my phone or download large files, etc.

I did a bunch of the suggestions on the "how to prolong battery life" thread, etc. I have a lot of photos stored on my phone, only a few videos, a bit of music...and I'm sure to close out of it when I'm done.

Any suggestions?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 09:44 PM
    Nope! It will stop taking juice once it is full. You can leave it on there all you want. A charging battery is a happy battery.
    03-19-09 09:47 PM
    Leave it plugged in as much as you want hunny!
    03-19-09 09:48 PM
    I charge mine nightly on its pod. It loves getting "juiced."
    03-19-09 09:49 PM
    You can't "over-charge" so feel free to charge it all you want, whenever you want... but keep in mind that rechargeable batteries can only withstand so many charging cycles. So, if you charge it unnecessarily or charge it every night, the battery is more likely to die prematurely... but whatever. Batteries are too inexpensive to worry about how you treat them
    03-19-09 09:53 PM
    Gotcha. Thanks, guys! I wonder if, in general, the battery life for the 8310 just sucks.
    I have a few spare batteries, and they all seem to do the same thing in my phone.
    Oh well!
    I carry charged-up spares with me in case of emergency!

03-19-09 10:00 PM
    Gotcha. Thanks, guys! I wonder if, in general, the battery life for the 8310 just sucks.
    I have a few spare batteries, and they all seem to do the same thing in my phone.
    Oh well!

That is using your head.
    03-19-09 10:02 PM
    Oh well!

Same - they are way to cheap....
    03-19-09 10:02 PM
    LOL @ CBK - we highlighted the same thing and replied the same way ---- almost..... Great minds......
    03-19-09 10:03 PM
    LOL @ CBK - we highlighted the same thing and replied the same way ---- almost..... Great minds......
    Ha, I just saw that. Amazing.
    03-19-09 10:05 PM
    Spare batteries, that's the ticket, cricket! I quite often charge 2x a day, but some of those are 20 hours long.

03-19-09 10:12 PM
    hhmmmm.....never got a spare battery....maybe it's time
    03-19-09 10:13 PM
    hhmmmm.....never got a spare battery....maybe it's time
    It is the way to go at times.
    03-19-09 10:13 PM
    Amazon.com 2-3 bucks hehe, cant beat that for OEM...
    03-19-09 10:22 PM
    I'm going with the twins, separated at birth theory. lol
    03-19-09 10:51 PM
    Amazon.com 2-3 bucks hehe, cant beat that for OEM...
    yes indeed-amazon has a ton of bb accessories for dirt!! i got 2 extra batteries a few weeks ago
    03-19-09 11:21 PM
    i got 4 batteries and a extra charger for the batteries on ebay for 15 bucks. I keep two charged in my backpack, one in the phone and one on the charger. Power is never an issue cause if things get that bad i have 3 charged batteries and i can turn everything off and get 4-5 days out of each battery.
    03-19-09 11:28 PM
    i got 4 batteries and a extra charger for the batteries on ebay for 15 bucks. I keep two charged in my backpack, one in the phone and one on the charger. Power is never an issue cause if things get that bad i have 3 charged batteries and i can turn everything off and get 4-5 days out of each battery.
    jeeeeeez.. you are ready for the appocalypse.

i think the most important thing about a battery is that you let it drain completely, and charge completely the first time out of the box. ive never had a bad battery
    03-20-09 01:59 AM
    Savage, actually that isn't good advice as far as discharging the battery before charging it. Li-Ion batteries perform better when not allowed to get low on charge. Allowing the battery to discharge will actually harm the battery and shorten it's service life, especially if done often.

03-20-09 02:06 AM
    i was just talking aboot the first time, to get a complete charge. i didnt mean each time. its another myth then?
    03-20-09 02:15 AM
    Yep, a myth carried over from the days of NiCad batteries that had memory effect. NiMH and LiIon batteries can be charged often and during any phase of their discharge cycle without worrying about memory effect.

03-20-09 02:20 AM
    mahalo
    ill remember that
    03-20-09 02:23 AM
    You addicts are making me laugh. I don't have any extra batteries. Never thought about it but what a great idea! Is it possible for them to lose their charge while not in the phone?

03-20-09 07:38 AM
    They will lose their charge, but very slowly. If you have multiple batteries, you can always keep them optimally charged by swapping them in your BB say once a week.
    03-20-09 09:48 AM
    I know this thread is a month old, but in doing a search on this subject I found it.

I was in the Verizon store yesterday with my son's phone and asked about charging his phone overnight like I do mine. He has an LG Alias. The tech guy said that NO PHONE should be charged for more than 4 hours. This includes BBs! I asked him why RIM says that it doesn't do any harm to "top off" a BB battery. (I don't know if I actually heard it from RIM, but he was clueless anyway). He told me that RIM probably tells this to people so the batteries burn out and you have to then buy a new battery. He told me in his training that they were taught to only charge a battery when it's low and then only for a max of 4 hours.

I thought the whole conversation was very interesting. It just proves that no matter where you go for technical advice, you're going to get a different answer every time.

I will continue to charge my BB overnight like I always do, but I'm still wondering about my kids phones.

Any other opinions out there? LOL
    04-26-09 11:05 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD