I have a 8330 that I got from work. Its on Verizon Wireless and it uses the BES.

Currently I have OS 4.3.0.127.

I'd like to upgrade to 4.5.?? But I need something pretty stable without any major bugs. The main reasons I want to upgrade is so I can use a 16gb memory stick for music as well as getting apps and themes that require 4.5.

I was reading some of the posts about the latest OS and their seemed to be some issues.

Which OS do you recommend?

thx!!
    06-21-09 09:34 AM
    Have you checked with your IT department to see if that is okay or what they recommend?
    06-21-09 09:40 AM
    They said "go for it". That was all....
    06-21-09 09:56 AM
    The latest OS for the 8330 is 4.5. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-09 11:06 AM
    4.5 has not been a problem for me. From other threads/posts people have been reporting it to be very stable with no bugs.

I re-read the OP; mis understood what you were originally after. Sorry.

06-21-09 11:10 AM
    I understand 4.5 is the latest, but there seems to be alot of sub-versions after the .5. I believe VzW is using 4.5.0.77 which is what I'm probably going to install.

Reading some posts, it looks like upgrading is a bit of a process. Gotta backup everything, uninstall old OS, install new OS, get apps, etc. Looks like it will take a few hours.
    06-21-09 11:16 AM
    You don't have to uninstall the old os, the new os will install right over the top. I think .77 is kinda quirky. You can use any os you want they are all released by rim then the individual carriers add an additional file called the vendor.xml file. If you delete the vendor.xml file any os will work, I am on alltel and am using the telus .160 os. The whole upgrade process takes less than 1 hour. Download and install the os to your pc, delete the vendor.xml file then double click the loader.exe file and the rest (backup etc) is automatic.

06-21-09 11:33 AM
    The hybrid .160/5.0 is a good o/s I'm running it now. No problems to report.

06-21-09 12:25 PM
    As a Verizon customer, I would steer you away from 4.5.0.138 and 4.5.0.160, too many issues.

4.5.0.77 has the speakerblast problem, where the call is on speakerphone for a second or two when you answer a call.

For a stable OS I would recommend installing Sprint's 4.5.0.131 which can be downloaded here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...BB765225CE8C0E

For installation instructions, you can use the upgrade/downgrade link in my sig below.

If you want to use the .160 OS, you can use this hybrid which substitutes some files from the .131 OS I recommended above to fix the issues Verizon users have with the 4.5.0.160 Telus OS:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/hyb...-131-a-242109/

You don't really have to wipe your BB with CrackMem or JL Commander before installing the hybrid. that will make the installation of this hybrid a little easier.
    Last edited by xliderider; 06-21-09 at 02:49 PM.
    06-21-09 02:44 PM
    Thanks! I did notice the speakerblast issue. Kinda weird but not too bad.

Will version 4.5.0.77 allow for a 16gb memory card? I know there weas a post about versions and memory card limits. can't find it at the moment..
    06-22-09 07:49 AM
    16 GB is supported after .81. Here's the list.

BlackBerry Device Software version Media card size limit
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0 Up to 2 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0.81 and later Up to 16 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.6.0 and later Up to 32 GB

06-22-09 08:05 AM
    Yes that latest officail from VZW is 4.5.0.77
    You shoukldn't even need to check with your IT dept. to put the most current version offered by your provider.

On another note...
    Not sure why but I have three friends that all got 8330 Curves from Verizon over the last few months and they all had 4.3.0. *** on them. Two of them were the pink model and one was Silver.

Why would VZW be pushing out Curves that don't have the latest Software? Do they have that much of a stock pile that they are still on the shelves from when that was the officail OS? Even if that was the case, shouldn't they upgrade it before sending the person out the door with it?
    06-22-09 08:31 AM
    D'OH!!!

I upgraded to 4.5.0.77 and per the post above, I won't be able to use a 16gb memory card with it

Oh well, per xliderider's post above, I'll try to get the sprint version (x.131) loaded.

I have to delete some type of file first that relates to Sprint (vs verizon)??
    06-22-09 01:24 PM
    D'OH!!!

I upgraded to 4.5.0.77 and per the post above, I won't be able to use a 16gb memory card with it

Oh well, per xliderider's post above, I'll try to get the sprint version (x.131) loaded.

I have to delete some type of file first that relates to Sprint (vs verizon)??
    Before you download the Sprint OS, go to Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the Blackberry 4.5 Device Software from your computer. You can keep the .77 loader file you downloaded to your PC as a backup though, in case you ever have to go back to Verizon, you can install the .77 OS back on your Curve.

Delete the vendor.xml file found in the C:\Programs\Common files\Research in Motion\Apploader folder on your computer after you download and install the Sprint OS.
    06-22-09 01:39 PM
    Just had my curve for like 2 days, but I have used many and Sprint's 4.5.131 is nice and I don't see issues with it. Nice upgrade from the 4.2 here at work.
    06-22-09 01:57 PM
    just upgraded to the Sprint OS. Seems to work fine.

thanks for the help!!
    06-22-09 07:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD