Guys/Gals,

I just ordered a new TMO 8320 that I expect to deliver on Monday. Tried a couple of 8900s and had some issues...

Anyway, I'm wondering what software version is shipping on new devices. Anyone get one recently from TMO?

Prior to getting the 8900 I had a 8320 (sold) but I'd bought it back in Oct'07 so the software was pretty old (4.2.something). I imagine there are improved versions out with better features.

Any idea? Just wondering what to expect.
    02-28-09 06:37 PM
    Its 4.2 .... No video camera . Update to the leaked .181. Don't forget to delete vendor xml.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-09 07:13 PM
    Its 4.2 .... No video camera . Update to the leaked .181. Don't forget to delete vendor xml.

Jeez, so the same old version huh? Hmmm, I've never done an OS update so I'm a bit nervous but it would be nice to have the latest. I looked at T-Mobile's BB upgrade site and they show 4.5.81 as the latest for the 8320. Would it be better to download this since it's officially from TMO? Will it have the video recording?
    02-28-09 07:22 PM
    If the device is truly new (recently produced) it will come with
    OS 4.5 If it does not you should definitely use your carriers
    release in case you need to return it for some reason.

And yes 4.5 will give you video recording capability.
    02-28-09 07:55 PM
    If the device is truly new (recently produced) it will come with
    OS 4.5 If it does not you should definitely use your carriers
    release in case you need to return it for some reason.

And yes 4.5 will give you video recording capability.
    Thanks. I guess I have to wait til Monday to check the version. I hope it was just produced! Is there a big difference between .81 and .124?
    02-28-09 08:17 PM
    Thanks. I guess I have to wait til Monday to check the version. I hope it was just produced! Is there a big difference between .81 and .124?
    Not really. Minor fixes but nothing the majority of users will / do notice
    02-28-09 08:20 PM
    Not really. Minor fixes but nothing the majority of users will / do notice
    OK, really appreciate your help
    02-28-09 08:27 PM
    Everything stated thus far about the OS is true. AG is right nothing huge about the newer 124 OS. Its just a little faster but nothing to loose sleep over....you wouldnt know the difference unless you run alot of apps at the same time.
    02-28-09 08:59 PM
    Thanks rlp32

Does it usually take a while for TMO to release a software update? Guess I never bothered to check when I had my first 8320.
    02-28-09 09:13 PM
    Umm its faster than the cdma networks. I know 4.5.0.81 was later than others but it is what it is. I run .124 but had no issues with .81...I just mod my stuff alot.
    02-28-09 09:17 PM
    Umm its faster than the cdma networks. I know 4.5.0.81 was later than others but it is what it is. I run .124 but had no issues with .81...I just mod my stuff alot.
    OK thanks!
    02-28-09 09:20 PM
    No problem.
    02-28-09 09:49 PM
    Guys/Gals,

I just ordered a new TMO 8320 that I expect to deliver on Monday. Tried a couple of 8900s and had some issues...

Anyway, I'm wondering what software version is shipping on new devices. Anyone get one recently from TMO?

Prior to getting the 8900 I had a 8320 (sold) but I'd bought it back in Oct'07 so the software was pretty old (4.2.something). I imagine there are improved versions out with better features.

Any idea? Just wondering what to expect.
    Why didn't the 8900 work out for you ? Better camera,gps and better screen. I am seriously craving the 8900 but on flexpay 10 months into 2 year with two lines- so I'm out back for a while can't afford 350.00 right now. So I find myself baffled asto what made u return them outside of just a bad device (which I believe can happen to anyone)? Wanna make a hundred and swap lolsend it back ill give up my tried and true 8320 now.lol
    02-28-09 09:59 PM
    Why didn't the 8900 work out for you ? Better camera,gps and better screen. I am seriously craving the 8900 but on flexpay 10 months into 2 year with two lines- so I'm out back for a while can't afford 350.00 right now. So I find myself baffled asto what made u return them outside of just a bad device (which I believe can happen to anyone)? Wanna make a hundred and swap lolsend it back ill give up my tried and true 8320 now.lol
    The 8900 is a beauty, but I just got irritated with some issues. My first one kept losing the EDGE signal and also had a lot of weird phone errors. I sent it back for a replacement. Thinking it might have been a bad SIM card I stuck a new one in my second device. It was fine for a few days but then it started turning off by itself....and it also lost the EDGE connection a few times. Guess I could have tried a third one but I got fed up and tired of being without a phone since I'd sold my old 8320. I will say that I prefer the keyboard on the 8320 though. I never had issues with my old 8320. The 8900 is definitely a wonderful improvement and has an awesome display....I'm sure I'll get one down the road but I'd rather wait til it's been out a while and some of the bugs have been worked out and software updated. I'm impatient I guess....didn't want to start messing with unofficial OS versions either.
    02-28-09 10:05 PM
    It's like what people said--the 8900 is still new and will have bugs with it. The 8320 has been out for a while so is more stable. Since I don't want to use a data plan, I find no use for an upgrade. This curve is still kickin

02-28-09 10:26 PM
    How ironic, my new 8320 should be here Monday too and i was curious what OS was going to be on it too. I am nervous to do a software upgrade, but I figure if I get it done now while the device is still fresh, i do not have to worry about backing or saving anything.

I know I should be digging in another thread for this, but .124 is generally "stable" correct?
    02-28-09 10:55 PM
    Been out for a while and latest, so I'd say pretty stable. From what I read, anything 4.5 is good. Anything above 4.5.081 is better, in terms of performance, i.e.battery life, faster when doing multiple tasks. Other than that, no really noticeable differences.
    Upgrading is pretty straightforward so don't worry. Just make sure the USB cable is firm and steady. I had no trouble updating my very first BB, and updating was the very first thing I did after charging the battery. If anything, CrackBerry has info for worst case scenarios if you need 'em.

03-01-09 03:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD