With previous OS4.5 upgrades I had two calendar options, BES and BIS. Now, I just noticed that I have a 3rd titled "device default". When I select it to view, no appointments appear (despite having them set on the other two calendars).

What is the "device default" calendar?
    08-16-08 10:53 PM
    I think in 4.5 each email can hv its own calendar so default would just be the plain calendar not linked w any of your email. If I'm wrong others will reply w the correct info.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-08 02:01 AM
    There's a calendar for each email account. When you open your calendar, your default view is all so all of your appts will be listed. You can then view each calendar seperately if it appears cluttered.

I made my Google calendar the default calendar so that it can sync OTA with Google sync. I just activated BES so now my Outlook Exchange work calendar syncs to the Desktop calendar on the BB wirelessly also.

What's great about this is that I've got all my appts on my phone but my work and personal calendars don't merge, i.e., my exchange calendar doesn't have my personal appts and my Google calendar doesn't have my work appts. It ROCKS!

08-17-08 07:10 AM
    BTW. I also have a calendar called default but there's nothing in it, like the 3 other calendars I don't use.

08-17-08 07:13 AM
    If you want to get rid of it (the "default calendar,) you may be able to. I did. Make sure there are no entries on it. Then go to options> advanced options> default services, and set one of your other calendars as the default. Hope it works for you, it did for me.
    08-17-08 11:13 AM
    Also, if you use a today theme, the entries from which ever calendar that is set as the default are the one that will show on the home screen.
    08-17-08 11:15 AM
    Thanks for all the replies. However, I've already got my desktop (BES) set as my default, so the "device default" calendar has to be something else. Moreover, when I got to Options/Advanced/Default, and click on calendar, this so called "device default" caendar isn't even an option.

So there's zero data in this "default device" calendar, it doesn't sync with anything, and it didn't exist before. Strange.
    08-17-08 05:07 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. However, I've already got my desktop (BES) set as my default, so the "device default" calendar has to be something else. Moreover, when I got to Options/Advanced/Default, and click on calendar, this so called "device default" caendar isn't even an option.

So there's zero data in this "default device" calendar, it doesn't sync with anything, and it didn't exist before. Strange.
    From my experience, "device default" seems to be a holding ground for "orphan" calendar entries. Much like if you delete a BES or BIS email account with some messages still in your BB email inbox, they become orphaned and show "received using; unknown" if you scroll up.

"Device default" first showed up for me when I deleted my gmail account (which had 53 entries) via my providers BIS. All 53 of those Cal entries got dumped in device default.

In the screen where you associate colors with diff email accts (I think), there a counter indicating how many items are in DD. I suspect you have at least one residual appt somewhere. My DD went away when I deleted all of my orphans.

To find your orphan(s), use "select cal..." To show only your DD calendar. Then switch to month view and scroll fwd/back a couple of months and look for days that have a black line/bar indicating an appt. How far you will have to go fwd/back will most likely be governed by how long you have your BB's "keep cal entries for X days" set for.

Cheers!
    Sean
    09-12-08 04:10 PM
    I had good success at this thread here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/calendar-issues-76208/

Sharing the power of knowledge...
    09-27-08 02:38 AM
    Thank for the info on this thread. I was wondering why I had duplicated Calendar entries on my Bold but not Outlook
    02-26-09 10:11 AM
    Also, if you use a today theme, the entries from which ever calendar that is set as the default are the one that will show on the home screen.
    good to know..thakns
    when I got to Options/Advanced/Default, and click on calendar, this so called "device default" caendar isn't even an option.

Same thing is happening to me

But for me, all of my calendar entries moved to "device default" calendar.

How can I move it back to my BIS[CICAL]?

From my experience, "device default" seems to be a holding ground for "orphan" calendar entries.

"Device default" first showed up for me when I deleted my gmail account (which had 53 entries) via my providers BIS. All 53 of those Cal entries got dumped in device default.

My DD went away when I deleted all of my orphans.
    My problem is that I want to move all my orphans back to my BIS[CICAL]....so how do I do that? Thanks
    03-28-09 07:16 PM
    Bringing this back because I have the same issue as eyecon82, and would like to know if there is a fix. My device default calendar is where most of my entries got moved to after I upgraded to 4.5 over the weekend. Anything I am adding now gets put in my e-mail address calendar. I really don't want to have to delete and re-add everything, but I have read all the posts I could find about this and haven't found a solution. Can anyone help???
    03-30-09 05:03 PM
    Yea..I found the solution

You will have to into options...advanced options...service books

once in there..delete every single xxxx[CICAL]

then do a battery pull and resync...then it will put all the entries back into your BIS email [CICAL]

let me know how it works for you....it worked for me
    03-30-09 07:13 PM
    Yea..I found the solution

You will have to into options...advanced options...service books

once in there..delete every single xxxx[CICAL]

then do a battery pull and resync...then it will put all the entries back into your BIS email [CICAL]

let me know how it works for you....it worked for me

Worked for me.
    So glad I found this thread. This is the first time I had issues with the calendar (happened after I had to resend service books)
    Big thanks to all of you.
    03-30-09 07:50 PM
    Thank you for the directions...I see the e-mail CICAL to delete, but I'm not sure what you mean by resync after the battery pull? Just trying to avoid losing my calendar entries, or screwing something else up!
    03-30-09 07:57 PM
    Thank you for the directions...I see the e-mail CICAL to delete, but I'm not sure what you mean by resync after the battery pull? Just trying to avoid losing my calendar entries, or screwing something else up!
    resync means to connect your bb to your pc via usb...and used the bb desktop manager to synchrnozie between your blackberry and microsoft outlook
    03-30-09 07:59 PM
    Thanks eyecon...I'm actually using outlook express, so I don't sync my calendar from my computer - does this matter?
    03-30-09 09:11 PM
    From my experience, "device default" seems to be a holding ground for "orphan" calendar entries. Much like if you delete a BES or BIS email account with some messages still in your BB email inbox, they become orphaned and show "received using; unknown" if you scroll up.

In the screen where you associate colors with diff email accts (I think), there a counter indicating how many items are in DD. I suspect you have at least one residual appt somewhere. My DD went away when I deleted all of my orphans.

To find your orphan(s), use "select cal..." To show only your DD calendar. Then switch to month view and scroll fwd/back a couple of months and look for days that have a black line/bar indicating an appt. How far you will have to go fwd/back will most likely be governed by how long you have your BB's "keep cal entries for X days" set for.

Cheers!
    Sean
    I tried this, and it worked perfectly! thanks! Apperently when I updated my curve 8330 to 4.5.0.175, all of my calender entries from my yahoo account became duplicates into the device default so I had duplicates of everything including my reoccurring entries that go on for years! I deleted everything in my device default calender as you explained above and synced my phone again to my yahoo calender. No duplicates, no worries! Great advice!
    11-04-09 03:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD