I downlowaded OS4.5 and now can not view pdfs?

I have documents to go.
    09-25-08 06:35 AM
    Are you talking about pdfs that come attached to your emails or pdfs that are on your media card. The Blackberry Attachment Service should handle ones coming via your email. To view pdfs on your media card you will need a third party app, I fairly sure the standard version of docs2go won't do that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by gritmaster; 09-25-08 at 06:46 AM.
    09-25-08 06:41 AM
    If the pdf is an email attachment then, you can view it because this is handled by BIS and the BlackBerry Attachmen Service.

STand-alone pdfs that are stored, say on your Media CArd are not viewable without a 3rd party product.

BeamBerry - View, Print, Store BlackBerry e-mail attachments has a $46 product that allows pdf viewing but it does so via a server. They have a new product, currently in beta test that will allow native pdf viewing. I do not know when this product will be released.
    09-25-08 08:43 AM
    Wat the two above me said>>> I had this problem as well until i found out that if stored on media card>> i would need a third party app
    09-25-08 08:49 AM
    Just thinking, and it be a slow way to do it, but can one email a pdf from their media card to themselves and then open it with the attachment service?

09-25-08 08:50 AM
    Just thinking, and it be a slow way to do it, but can one email a pdf from their media card to themselves and then open it with the attachment service?

I dont see why you wouldnt be able too.
    09-25-08 08:54 AM
    Yep I am fairly certain you could use this work around. Good call exelant

09-25-08 09:57 AM
    No, these are emailed pdf's i cant open.

someone will email me a pdf and I used to be able to open it directly from the msg, now i cant.

The msg I get is ..."This attachement type cannot be viewed on your device"
    09-25-08 10:06 AM
    It could then be that the BlackBerry Attachment Service is not installed. To check, go to Options, Advanced Options, Applications and look for it in the list.
    09-25-08 10:20 AM
    I get that same error and using 4.5 .69

09-25-08 11:04 AM
    If the Blackberry Attachment Service is not there ( using the instructions Pete gave you) hook your BB up to Desktop Manager and run Application Loader. Hopefully you should have the option to check the tick box for the service there.

09-25-08 11:11 AM
    Maybe a fix is in .81 now available in a sticky -- If you still can't open them after installing the attachment service.

09-25-08 11:15 AM
    This may be a stupid question but why on earth did they make it so you can only view PDF files if they are an email attachment and not from a web page or saved on the BB? I am constantly running into PDF files on web pages I want to read while using my BB on the interenet. With that said is it possible for me to download the PDF and then email it to myself to view it?

09-29-08 12:26 AM
    This may be a stupid question but why on earth did they make it so you can only view PDF files if they are an email attachment and not from a web page or saved on the BB? I am constantly running into PDF files on web pages I want to read while using my BB on the interenet. With that said is it possible for me to download the PDF and then email it to myself to view it?

This is a multi-part answer to your question.
    1. The BlackBerry has historically been sold into the corporate market. Most documents get to the BlackBerry in this environment via the corporate email system. In fact if you disable the Media Card via an IT Policy thisis about the only way to get a doc on the phone. Since BlackBerry is secure, it made sense to put all the doc readers back on the server and to use the phone as a simple display device.

2. The older BlackBerrys did not have very powerful processors. It made sense to use more powerful servers to do the document decoding and again use the BlackBerry as a dumb display device. BeamBerry took this approach until recently. Now they have a stand-alone pdf reader in beta. Modern BlackBerrys have more powerful processors so the server/client model can be abandoned.

3. The space issue. It is only recently (2 years) that microSD cards have gotten huge. Previously there was not much space available. It takes time to develop an application and now is the time. I believe that if the BeamBerry stand-alone reader is a success then there will be a scat of them within 1-2 years.
    09-29-08 01:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD