I recently have updated my OS for my Verizon 8330 two times. First I downloaded either .77 or .83 and just deleted the vendor file. Then I found 4.5.0.97 and installed that. I now found out that Verizon has released OS 4.5.0.77 and that is my carrier. Would it hurt to install that one now even though I have done two previous OS updates? Also will the 4.5.0.77 run better than 4.5.0.97 since it is for my carrier?
    11-07-08 03:54 PM
    no and probably not.
    11-07-08 04:04 PM
    wats the differences between .77 and .97
    11-07-08 10:33 PM
    I have verizon and just did my update to .77 from verizon.

I won't do any updates unless I get it from the verizon site just cause of stories i've seen and read with to many problems.

I mean 4.3 was doing fine for me I just wanted to be current.

I like to keep my BB update but only with the supported software incase I have any problems and need to call tech support everything is kosher.
    11-07-08 10:39 PM
    I was against downloading and installing a beta version of software.
    I downloaded the vzw .77 last Friday and I was happy with it for a day or 2. Then my BB really began to lag.
    I ended up downloading and installing .97.
    I think it is a much better version. I have more free memory then I did with .77, battery life seems to have improved more as well. The lagging issue was with BBM. After a while of messaging the messages I sent wouldnt show as delivered with a check they would show with a blue circle and the people would go unavailable. I would have to batt pull and then it would be fine again and I would get a ton of messages coming through. This would happen a few times a day. Still happening with .97, but only once a day.
    11-07-08 11:03 PM
    I have a sprint 8330 and love it (unlocked gps) but i was wondering what in verizon locks the gps? I thought it might be OS related but the beta and multicarrier release of 77 still doesnt let me friend use his gps.. is there anyway to unlock the gps without the use of hte verizon map software?
    11-08-08 12:21 AM
    The GPS lock on Verizon is not in the RIM firmware. It can't be overcome, unfortunately.
    11-08-08 05:56 AM
    The only issue I've come across with .97 is that occasionally the speakerphone will activate when placing or receiving a call. It only happens for a few tenths of a second and doesn't really affect anything.

(Verizon 8330 4.5.0.97)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-08 03:53 PM
    i've had both, and notice no difference between them. i just figure whynot have the newest, so i'm using .97
    11-17-08 04:18 PM
    Just Downloaded .77 And Its Good So Far.......
    11-17-08 05:50 PM
    4.5.0.97 is recommended if you know your phone very well. I would not recommend installing a beta OS for a novice BB user.

That being said, my 8330 is running like a champ with 4.5.0.97.
    11-17-08 05:59 PM
    The people who are not getting the speakerphone problem are lucky. Either it's really not there, or you haven't gotten a call from a noisy place yet. I couldn't stand it anymore, I downgraded to 4.5.0.45. The only problem with this is that it won't always download all the images for html. Other than that it's the same thing.
    11-17-08 06:21 PM
    I know this may sound silly but I only get the speaker phone issue when the speaker is playing something at the time I answer the phone. In my holster, the phone vibrates when a call comes in. If I answer, no speakerphone issue. Out of the holster, the phone plays the ringtone when the call comes in. When I answer the call I get the noise for a few seconds. It is as if pressing the call answer button is supposed to switch the speaker phone off and activate the handset speaker but it does it with a delay. If you don't think you have a speakerphone issue, try that and u may find that you do.
    Db

11-17-08 08:09 PM
    Yea,you might be right but mine only turns on the speaker for about half a second.

11-17-08 11:33 PM
    Since the software is the same version number just from a different vendor how do you force the desktop software to do the install? Mine just ignores the Verizon release because I have the same version from a different vendor already installed.
    11-17-08 11:44 PM
    .97 runs way better than .77 on my phone. VZW official release ( .77) has a huge memory leak.

I highly suggest the .97 beta. Official release I had to do soft resets at least once a day because my memory would drop to 45megs with VERY light use. With this beta I hold steady at 49megs with heavy use.

11-18-08 01:15 AM
    You would have to uninstall the first one and then install the new one. But there's really no point as it's the same software released by RIM.
    11-18-08 05:39 AM
    I had .97, went back down to .77 after the official release to see if there would be any noticable difference....so far, nothing. No memory leaks, but I will say that I believe I had a little bit more free memory with .97, although that is probably due to a fresh upgrade.
    11-18-08 06:55 AM
    I have verizon and just did my update to .77 from verizon.

I won't do any updates unless I get it from the verizon site just cause of stories i've seen and read with to many problems.

I mean 4.3 was doing fine for me I just wanted to be current.

I like to keep my BB update but only with the supported software incase I have any problems and need to call tech support everything is kosher.
    You DO realize that the OS is the same regardless of the vendor (the only difference is the "vendor.xml" file)? AT&T does not support OS 4.5 for the 8800 yet, but I have never had a problem with tech support because of that.
    (but I guess because that is what I do for my company that may make a difference)
    11-18-08 07:03 AM
    I hadn't noticed much of a difference using .97 from .77 but I don't get the speaker blast anymore
    11-18-08 10:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD