I am painfully frustrated with this OS and i'm surprised I haven't seen other threads regarding issues.

First time, I got an email saying there was an update. I did it all over the air and it worked fine. Until the next morning when my alarm didn't work. Thinking it was a mistake I made, I double checked my settings to make sure. Sure enough, the next day the alarm didn't go off again. I then set the alarm a minute ahead of the current time to watch exactly what happens. The phone shows that it's playing the alarm, but not a single sound comes out.

I then had the exact same problems with any ringtone. The phone simply won't play any noises. Only the "Vibrate" profile is of any value.

Then when using the Media Player, it goes to the song but gives an error before it plays, saying something like "Media processor is busy, try later" or something along those lines. It then goes through that same error for every song until it gets to one random one where it will play.

When I go back to .138, every issue above goes away. I've verified this too because after formating my computer last week I plugged my 8330 back in and it said I had updates for a few programs and then it automatically did the OS update to .175 again. This whole dilemma has made me late for work several times, so it's pretty upsetting.
    Last edited by Hubbard 0; 01-25-10 at 10:33 AM.
    01-25-10 10:31 AM
    I am painfully frustrated with this OS and i'm surprised I haven't seen other threads regarding issues.

First time, I got an email saying there was an update. I did it all over the air and it worked fine. Until the next morning when my alarm didn't work. Thinking it was a mistake I made, I double checked my settings to make sure. Sure enough, the next day the alarm didn't go off again. I then set the alarm a minute ahead of the current time to watch exactly what happens. The phone shows that it's playing the alarm, but not a single sound comes out.

I then had the exact same problems with any ringtone. The phone simply won't play any noises. Only the "Vibrate" profile is of any value.

Then when using the Media Player, it goes to the song but gives an error before it plays, saying something like "Media processor is busy, try later" or something along those lines. It then goes through that same error for every song until it gets to one random one where it will play.

When I go back to .138, every issue above goes away. I've verified this too because after formating my computer last week I plugged my 8330 back in and it said I had updates for a few programs and then it automatically did the OS update to .175 again. This whole dilemma has made me late for work several times, so it's pretty upsetting.
    I think lots of folks are trying OS 5. I tried .175 and had similar issues. The best 4.5 release I have used is .170 from Tata CDMA. You can get it off of the BB site. So far 5.0 is working good but there's still some minor annoyances.
    01-25-10 10:48 AM
    have you tried to Battery pull it..?
    01-25-10 10:49 AM
    I think lots of folks are trying OS 5. I tried .175 and had similar issues. The best 4.5 release I have used is .170 from Tata CDMA. You can get it off of the BB site. So far 5.0 is working good but there's still some minor annoyances.
    My reserve about going to 5.0 is that BB Maps doesn't work, which is something I use somewhat often and I recall hearing that BBM doesn't work on 5.0 either. I'm not positive about that part though.

I'd love to do 5.0 though, just doesn't seem viable for me right now.
    01-25-10 11:03 AM
    The flaws with 4.5.0.175 are well-known flaws that have been posted on this site over and over again. There are ways to overcome the problems, however. You could downgrade to .169, .160, .138, .131 which is by far the most stable OS for a Verizon customer. You could keep .175 and switch out the media files and radio files from another OS like .131.

OS 5 is also out there but be forewarned, you will be operating on a smaller amount of memory when you are done, so that may not be to your liking either. While I don't have OS 5 I have read that some people are very satisfied with it, so maybe you want to take that plunge.
    01-25-10 11:11 AM
    The flaws with 4.5.0.175 are well-known flaws that have been posted on this site over and over again. There are ways to overcome the problems, however. You could downgrade to .169, .160, .138, .131 which is by far the most stable OS for a Verizon customer. You could keep .175 and switch out the media files and radio files from another OS like .131.

OS 5 is also out there but be forewarned, you will be operating on a smaller amount of memory when you are done, so that may not be to your liking either. While I don't have OS 5 I have read that some people are very satisfied with it, so maybe you want to take that plunge.
    I'll definitely be going back to .138 when I get home. Almost wish I brought my laptop to work so I could do it now, but it's not a huge deal.

Doing a hybrid setup sounds interesting, but I'm not even going to consider dealing with that when I can do .138.

I may do some more reading on 5.0 though and see if it'll be worth my time.
    01-25-10 11:16 AM
    I'm probably going to jinx my self for saying this but I haven't had any issue with .175 that I'm aware of and I've been running it since the official sprint update was dropped, maybe you should try redownloading the update and see if you still have the issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-10 11:36 AM
    Hubbard 0, you can try the fix in this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/fix...-169-a-380296/

Make sure you swap all the .cod files, even the one I provide later in the thread. You will end up with a .175/.131 hybrid after you are done. If you get the dreaded chirping during calls, then you can swap in the .131 or .138 radio file later.
    01-25-10 01:21 PM
    I have a 8330m with sprint and I have no problems with .175 os. I have more memory than I did with .169 and it has a faster browser too. The mp3 player function is great the alarms and ringtones are fine.

01-25-10 01:45 PM
    I've been on 4.5.0.175 for almost 3 days now and everything seems to be working well. No profile problems and i havent had the "chirping" im reading so much about !
    01-29-10 12:02 AM
    I had .175. Did not like it. Got the boost 5.0. Myself I am very satisfied with it so far. Working on 3rd day running it. Maybe you should try it. If you don't like it go back. Like ev1 else I reccomend shrinking it. Good luck.
    01-29-10 04:46 AM
    I was running 4.5.0.175, and it ran great, except for 2 of my contacts on different networks had the chirping when I spoke with them. It was weird that only two of my contacts had this chirping. Well, it just so happened that those two people are the two that I most keep in touch with. I downgraded to .138 and lost my BB Messenger again. Lost it when I upgraded to .175. Tested the talk, and the chirping was gone on .138. When I check file free status, it seems that it takes more memory to run .138 than .175. I lose approx. 2 MBs. I guess it's a good trade off for the Chirping. So far, .138 seems to be a stable OS for Verizon.
    01-29-10 06:13 AM
    Has anyone reported their issues to CS? I have and so far two VZW techs call me back for detailed information about the loss of Profiles and the chirping. At least part of the problem is communication from those that have issues with the OS. Call CS and report your issues if you truly want something done about it.

01-29-10 06:24 AM
    Has anyone reported their issues to CS? I have and so far two VZW techs call me back for detailed information about the loss of Profiles and the chirping. At least part of the problem is communication from those that have issues with the OS. Call CS and report your issues if you truly want something done about it.

I have reported the chirping problem to VZW Customer Care and they have no idea about it. I have opened a ticket for my wife's 8330 and they have sent it to their engineers but they haven't called back. I told them to peruse these forums and they would see that I am not the only one with this issue...

It began after I upgraded her phone to .175 though, and it sounds like I am not alone.

Does anyone have a d/l link for .138? I haven't been able to find it anywhere... TIA
    01-29-10 09:16 AM
    I have reported the chirping problem to VZW Customer Care and they have no idea about it. I have opened a ticket for my wife's 8330 and they have sent it to their engineers but they haven't called back. I told them to peruse these forums and they would see that I am not the only one with this issue...

It began after I upgraded her phone to .175 though, and it sounds like I am not alone.

Does anyone have a d/l link for .138? I haven't been able to find it anywhere... TIA
    If I were to go back to an older OS I would look at .131. Sorry, don't have a link but you can find it with a search. Your correct, VZW has no clue about the chirp on the new OS. Part of the problem is that not enough people call them about it. A tech has been assigned to my case and we spoke the other day. While we were talking, my device chirped 3 times in less than 8 minutes. We bookmarked the conversation and they say they are investigating. I like the faster browser on this OS and that is why I put up with the chirps. As for my Profiles, I simply reset them as I have had to do with some other OS updates. Every BB forum I have looked at mentions these issues with this OS.
    01-29-10 09:45 AM
    I made the jump to the Boost 5.0. I wish I had my functioning GPS, but other than that I'm very happy with the change.
    01-31-10 07:24 PM
    I want to trade in my 8330 for an 8530 curve-verizon network and idea how to do this inexpensively?

01-31-10 10:02 PM
    Had this for almost a week no problems other than it seems like it drains battery faster and today I heard my first "chirp" while on a call. The strange thing with the chirp is that I was talkin to my wife while she was on the home phone.

02-02-10 06:44 PM
    It doesn't seem to matter whether the other line is mobile or landline for the chirp.

02-02-10 08:31 PM
    Definately Strange !!

02-02-10 08:46 PM
    I just got my 8330 last week and had the same problem with the media player and ringtones and such. I am running .175. I searched the forums and figured out I should do a battery pull. It fixed it.... (knock on wood....) for now. I havent had any more problems with it.
    02-02-10 08:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD