I'm new to BBs (I've had an itouch for a year or so and cheapo phone - attempting to combine devices) so still getting up to speed on stuff. Opera mini is touted as better browser than native BB browser. However, each time I select a site to launch I get the message:

"The application opera mini has attempted to access the network. would you like to allow this?" and then I have to select Yes. Really slows things down.

I've checked settings and don't see where to disable this. Using HTTP protocol but tried socket also, no difference in behavior. Please advise how I can disable this notification.

Thanks in advance.
    07-14-08 08:46 PM
    Yea I believe it a bug it happens to everyone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-08 08:52 PM
    I have been wondering the same thing. I played around with the application permissions to no avail.

07-14-08 08:53 PM
    Only had BB week but I have to say I prefer the native BB browser over OM. Of course, neither quite as nice as IE7 or Safari....I know I know, they have their problems.

If I have to respond to this OM message every time I want to load a page, I'm just not going to use it. Since it gets good press I believed it was a configuration error on my part but perhaps it is a bug.
    07-14-08 09:00 PM
    Solution I found is to change your firewall settings. It's off by default, so if you turn it on, it will prompt you and you can select 'never ask again' and you will never see this annoying message again.

Turn on your firewall by going to Options/Security Options/Firewall and you can leave the SMS, MMS, PIN and Blackberry Internet Service options alone, you just want to enable the firewall.

Good luck!
    Last edited by jwgraves; 07-14-08 at 09:09 PM.
    07-14-08 09:04 PM
    i find the browser for 4.5 adequate
    07-14-08 09:06 PM
    Thanks to jwgraves - your tip on the firewall setting did the trick.

Now I can properly evaluate both browsers and make a more informed decision.
    07-14-08 09:30 PM
    Solution I found is to change your firewall settings. It's off by default, so if you turn it on, it will prompt you and you can select 'never ask again' and you will never see this annoying message again.

Turn on your firewall by going to Options/Security Options/Firewall and you can leave the SMS, MMS, PIN and Blackberry Internet Service options alone, you just want to enable the firewall.

Good luck!
    Great tip!!!!
    07-14-08 09:41 PM
    Great tip!!!!
    indeed! Thanks!
    07-14-08 10:01 PM
    but will turning on the firewall block any content
    07-14-08 10:03 PM
    but will turning on the firewall block any content
    As long as you don't turn on any of the options (SMS, MMS, PIN, etc.) you shouldn't be blocking anything.

I did read somewhere there's a CHANCE that some programs might not work properly when the BB firewall is enabled, but I haven't found any yet.
    07-15-08 06:18 AM
    I removed OM because of that message. I liked it b/c the bookmarks didn't take away space from my BB. It has its pros and cons.
    07-15-08 07:02 AM

Good luck!
    I can confirm this as well. It work flawlessly. I talked to Tech Support at RIM and that's what they said as well. Firewall settings do work. And OM is worth the time. It just takes a little getting used to. Just make sure you check the option for 'do not ask again' and it will not pop up anymore.

07-15-08 08:55 AM

Good luck!
    Thanks! Tried this and so far so good for me.

07-15-08 10:09 AM
    I also was bugged with that one.
    Firewall change worked like a charm.

Question though, is by changing that setting, are we impacting anything else in a negative way?
    07-15-08 10:53 AM
    the firewall doesnt work like normal firewalls on computers. its for sms and mms and things like that. checking "enabled" and hitting "do not ask" and allowing access to the browser shouldnt do anything but stop that ridiculous message.
    07-15-08 02:43 PM
    I vouch for that firewall thing... EXCEPT- if you have gmail or weathereye type of pushed content, it will ask if you want to establish the connection from them or ALL http connections.
    So far I've chosen to allow the app that's calling for it individually instead of a global allow for all. But otherwise, it works fine.
    07-15-08 02:51 PM
    Thanks for the tip. I have one question though, if I accidently selected the wrong option (like only the app's http instead of all http) how do I change it?

07-15-08 03:29 PM
    Probably go back to the firewall and disable, reboot, then reset the firewall again..

that's just a guess, though...
    07-15-08 03:38 PM
    Thanks for the tip. I have one question though, if I accidently selected the wrong option (like only the app's http instead of all http) how do I change it?

Options-->Security Options-->Firewall-->Menu-->Reset Settings
    07-15-08 03:59 PM
    this is one of the main reasons i don't use opera mini too often....
    07-15-08 04:20 PM

Good luck!
    JW, you are appreciated and adored by all of the BB+OM users out there, including myself. I can't think how many times I looked at the firewall option and asked myself "Do I really want to turn it on?"

I've heard so much good about the 4.5 browser. I have the .51 beta installed on my 8330, and I have noticed significant improvement over the browser in 4.3. But it still won't let me load my Excite.com home page (user login fails due to "cookies"). OperaMini does allow me to log into my homepage; and the info you provided just helped shave 2 seconds off the load time by saving me from having to approve that darned message every time I open OM.

Thanks again, friend
    07-15-08 05:25 PM
    I deleted OM today it seems to be slower on my curve with 4.5 and I had a pop-up blocker that would not show me links that I was trying to view from certain pages. Weird because it never happen before when I wasn't running a beta OS. Any suggestions..
    07-15-08 09:24 PM
    i downloaded OM and when i hit menu the menu flashes and goes away
    can't get it to work right'
    tried reinstalling it
    07-15-08 09:39 PM
    JW just wanted to say thanks as well. Geez that pop-up had gotten OLD!!!

07-15-08 09:59 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD