Can anyone explain to me the benefits of having opera mini. I just downloaded the latest version and I'm not too impressed is there something I'm missing. I like the blackberry browser but can someone explain the real difference? Hahah thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-08 04:29 PM
    I'm with you on this one. There are some sites I've found that display better in Opera but nothing making it worth using much, imho.

Last edited by y0diggity; 12-26-08 at 07:08 PM.
    12-26-08 04:30 PM
    some sites just won't work with the bb browser, so Opera is a good alternative to have on hand. It may not be your main browse, but sure is nice to have ready to use if you come across a site that won't display properly or is a total navigation nightmare.
    12-26-08 05:03 PM
    Opera mini has the ability to show you the way a site would look on a PC minus the embedded flash. How can you not notice a difference? It is much better for internet surfing, unless you only visit mobile websites that are formatted correctly.

12-26-08 05:14 PM
    Same here. Opera doesn't display most sites correctly. Not impressed at all with it.
    12-26-08 05:17 PM
    It's another one of those things that's left to personal preference. Myself, I use Opera only when on a site that doesn't work quite right using the BB browser. For the most part I use the BB browser.

12-26-08 06:55 PM
    BB browser for this guy. I have never understood the allure of Opera Mini once RIM started improving their browser.
    12-26-08 07:50 PM
    Is there any suggestions for a broswer better than the Opera or bb broswer?

12-26-08 08:30 PM
    I just did a test when I first downloaded opera with crackberry.com and the only real difference I saw with opera from the bb browser was that I didn't have to scroll down a lot to get to the news like you do with the bb browser. But when I was in opera it was hard to see what I wanted to look at.

I agree with ppbb, and apreciate all the info.

Will it slow up my curve if I have both opera and bb browser installed that way I can have the best of both worlds?

Last edited by dubree23; 12-26-08 at 08:39 PM.
    12-26-08 08:31 PM
    Is there any suggestions for a broswer that is better then Opera or the standard browser?

12-26-08 08:35 PM
    BB browser for this guy. I have never understood the allure of Opera Mini once RIM started improving their browser.
    You and i agreed on this awhile ago man, i like the browser in 4.5 better than Opera...
    12-26-08 08:57 PM
    You and i agreed on this awhile ago man, i like the browser in 4.5 better than Opera...
    Indeed we did. I thought this was one of those deja vu threads.
    12-26-08 09:07 PM
    Indeed we did. I thought this was one of those deja vu threads.
    Haha, CBK, so did I. That's why i had to holla...
    12-26-08 09:08 PM
    I just did a test when I first downloaded opera with crackberry.com and the only real difference I saw with opera from the bb browser was that I didn't have to scroll down a lot to get to the news like you do with the bb browser. But when I was in opera it was hard to see what I wanted to look at.

I agree with ppbb, and apreciate all the info.

Will it slow up my curve if I have both opera and bb browser installed that way I can have the best of both worlds?

You can have both installed. It will not slow your phone down unless you do not close the program when you are done with it.
    12-26-08 09:18 PM
    If you have 4.5, for better browser viewing go to options>advanced options>browser configurations. Put a check in every box and set Show Images to: On WML & HTML pages, then set Emulation Mode to: Blackberry. Save changes...
    12-26-08 09:22 PM
    Is there any suggestions for a broswer better than the Opera or bb broswer?
    Those are you 2 choices for now.

Count me as one who never saw the point of Opera Mini. And now with the
    browser that comes with 4.5 it is not even something I consider.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 12-26-08 at 09:33 PM.
    12-26-08 09:31 PM
    Yep I installed Opera mini after hearing so much about it and was less than impressed. I didn't like the way it showed a tiny version of the webpage which you had to enlarge all the time.

I use the google browser and that seems to work fine for my needs.

Though can anyone tell me of keyboard shortcuts to navigate around webpages when viewing them? Thanks!
    12-27-08 07:17 AM
    Even with the new blackberry 4.5 browser, I still need Opera Mini. There's one site that defaults to WAP when using my blackberry browser. AJC.com will not allow me to view the site in full HTML. It always defaults to WAP, no matter what settings I change. If you access the same site using Opera Mini, you can view the full HTML version.

12-27-08 10:49 AM
    Just went and checked a few things before I posted. I just upgraded to 4.5 and it seems the bb browser is improved. The old version for instance you could not really use any of the features on southwest.com. Like online checkin and flight booking. So opera was needed. Now it seems to work fine. Although as mentioned it won't hurt to have both!

12-27-08 12:54 PM
    bb browser is signifgantly slower
    12-27-08 01:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD