Just curious if anyone's had luck using this to upgrade their Sprint 8330 to OS 4.5...?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-08 12:26 PM
    Sprint hasnt officially released 4.5 so only way to do it is via DM by removing vendor.xml file.
    10-04-08 12:28 PM
    If you ask me, that online app loader software is a joke and useless.
    10-04-08 12:30 PM
    I agree completely.
    10-04-08 12:37 PM
    Other posts mention people on Verizon and Rogers upgrading fine. Apparently RIM has released the upgrades before the cell companies have, so you don't need to pull the vendor.xml file. I'm just regurgitating what I've read on other posts.

Why is it a joke and useless?

10-04-08 12:44 PM
    Other posts mention people on Verizon and Rogers upgrading fine. Apparently RIM has released the upgrades before the cell companies have, so you don't need to pull the vendor.xml file. I'm just regurgitating what I've read on other posts.

Why is it a joke and useless?

Other carriers have released it. They are installing their release and not their own carrier's release.

For starters in order to use the app, you have to use Internet Explorer (I use FireFox), then you have to install the ActiveX control to use the app, then it tells you there is no update. I call that useless.
    10-04-08 12:54 PM
    I don't understand your comment "their release vs their own carrier's release" but I have been up for almost 40 hours, so maybe it makes total sense.

10-04-08 01:21 PM
    ditto that!
    10-04-08 01:25 PM
    Okay listen up. Anyone wondering why and how the online web app loader works. I did some testing last night.

First I sent my OS back to 4.3(Fully wiping the device) then used the online app loader. I selecte upgrade and it installed the active X and launched the web based app. I said I can upgrade to 4.5.0.77. I selected the upgrade and proceeded to wait..... Now after the phone rebooted I checked to see what stuff was under applications on the device. I had Core applications, System Software, Email Setup Application, Phone. That was it.... So as you can see it doesn't give you much.......

I went and put my copy of 4.5.0.x on my phone and back in business.

So with all that said and done, I agree it is crap and doesn't do the right thing. but it does some what work. It put 4.5 on my phone with out removing the Vendor file.....

Just my .02
    10-04-08 02:39 PM
    Got it. So if I want the full-blown manager's special, I gotta use the one posted on these forums.

10-04-08 03:14 PM
    Sprint hasnt officially released 4.5 so only way to do it is via DM by removing vendor.xml file.
    Where can I get the OS 4.5 for Sprint ?? I checked the Sprint site and nothing there.
    10-04-08 08:59 PM
    Your kidding right. He just said that Sprint has not officially released 4.5
    10-04-08 09:05 PM
    Sorry.. I read has released ......thank you for the correction
    10-04-08 09:11 PM
    I used the download manager to load 4.5.0.77 onto my Sprint phone and did not delete the vendor file. It was a very simple process.

My only issue was forgetting to check the box for docs to go so I had to go back and add that.

I'm not very computer literate and this is my first smart phone so I figure if I can do it most people can.
    10-04-08 10:33 PM
    Question to those on Sprint running 4.5.0.77. Does your sprint radio work correctly or does it say unable to open folder?

10-05-08 04:55 AM
    I have heard some mention they have problems with that error for sprint radio. I get errors with some TV channels too. But I also had the same error opening folders for TV and radio on 4.3 as well so I'm only able to use certain channels. I very rarely check out the TV thing. So I'm afraid I'm not a good source to provide much info on this matter only that I have seen the error before but I just don't use it enough to bother checking to see if it is consistent or not on the same channel.
    10-06-08 09:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD