June 6, 2007 - Day 1

The UPS man delivered my BlackBerry Curve today at the stroke of noon. A friend in Florida picked it up from a retail outlet on Monday, shipped it out Tuesday, and now I have it on Wednesday - not bad. Being in Winnipeg, Canada, it looks like I'll just beat Rogers getting the Curve. It sounds like Rogers retailers are starting to take delivery of Curve units today too, but I'm guessing it will still be a few days before they start selling to consumers and/or letting them upgrade.

UnBoxing the Curve

When the UPS MAN handed over the box I thought - "WOW..that's a light package, I hope the phone is actually in there". When I took the Curve Box out of the UPS package, I thought "Wow... what a small box!" The AT&T Curve box is considerably slimmed down from the box I remember my Rogers 8700R coming in.

Upon opening the Box, I pulled out the Quick Start guide and Instruction Manual, and then laid eyes on my shiny new Curve. The first thing I noticed was the size. It is small. I picked it up, felt it in my hands (it felt good...), turned it over a couple of times, and put the phone down to see what else was in the box... the charger, usb, battery, headphone thing that I'll never use...and...NO CASE?!?!?! I quickly got over it, knowing that I will try and get my hands on every Curve case manufactured in the next year, but couldn't help but think RIM should include some type of case with a high-end device like the Curve. Afterall...my 8700R came with a case. What gives now? It's one of those things - people don't miss something they never had, but if you take away something they are used to it hurts! And I was used to getting a case with my BlackBerry.

Recovered from the lack of free case, it was time to play. I took the back of the case off, put in the battery, put the cover back on, and the phone fired right up! I'm still waiting on my AT&T unlock code (ordered it on Monday - should have it tonight/tomorrow morning), so for now my new Curve is a just a toy, and will not be used for much more than BrickBreaker.

Start Me UP

Even with no SIM Card inserted in the phone, it booted right up and I quickly walked through the Phone Wizard, where I entered in my personal data and learned some quick BlackBerry tips (which for first time Berry users I think are actually useful!). I just skipped the "Setting Up Your Email" step since I didn't have a SIM card in the phone. I spent a minute with the default AT&T theme, didn't like it, and quickly switched to the Zen theme. The AT&T theme was really washed out/colorless/bland. It made the whole phone much too grey. The battery was pretty low, so at that point I plugged it in to let it charge while I put a few more minutes into playing with it.

First Impressions

1. The phone feels good in your hand. The dimensions and weight feel "right".

2. Build Quality seems good, but I noticed immediately that there is a little bit of "wiggle room" with the keyboard. On my 8700 where the keys stick up through the case there's no lateral movement. On the Curve I can actually slide the entire keyboard left and right slightly within the case.

3. Trackball vs. Trackwheel. I'm making the switch from an 8700, so it's going to take some getting used to, but I can see the power of the Trackball. I think once I'm used to it I'll never want to go back, but it's definitely going to take a few days to get into the trackball groove.

4. Visually, I like the Curve, but I do think there's room for improvement. For one, it's not really "curvy". It's more like a "mini 8700". When I think "Curve" I think "Exotic" and I don't think it's quite that. The backside of the phone looks great (black rubber edges visible, silver battery cover, metallic cover around the camera), but on the front side I think I would have preferred the standard dark purple/blackish berry color with the metallic accents over the somewhat flat grey casing color. The metallic accents around the screen would have stood out more on a darker case color, or conversely, the accents should be a metallic black on the grey case. Grey/Metallic Accents on a Grey Case with a Grey Keypad makes the front of the phone, well...grey Switching from the AT&T theme to the Zen did improve the in-use look of the phone immediately though. The display is Vibrant!

5. Camera. I snapped a couple of photos, and to me the quality looks solid for a cell phone/smartphone. I took one of myself and the flash had me seeing white spots for about 5 minutes. Obviously it's not a replacement for a full size digital camera, but I think it will more than do the trick for quick snaps when you're out and about on a daily basis.

6. Media Player. LOOKS AWESOME. I just realized we're going to have to add a Movies Gallery to CrackBerry.com. The Ringtone gallery is up and running (still making some improvements), and the Wallpaper gallery is near completion, but we're going to have to come up with a user-contributed video gallery now too!

Conclusion: I'm loving what I see so far. It's an 8/10 in my book so far. I just need to get it unlocked and really put some hours into the device now. We'll see if it moves up or down from the 8 with time...

Check out the pics attached...and I'll report back in when I get it unlocked! I don't have an AT&T sim card to unlock it with, but I can bring up the menu/field where I enter in the unlock code no problem... so we'll see what happens!
    Last edited by CrackBerry Kevin; 06-06-07 at 06:54 PM. Reason: fixed up some of my poor spelling :)
    06-06-07 06:39 PM
    Great post! I'd be so mad without the unlock code...
    06-06-07 06:44 PM
    Nah...I like the Suspense! That's half the fun!!! The emotions I'm going through!!

BlackBerry Curve, "I think this is the start of a Beautiful Friendship!"
    06-06-07 06:46 PM
    Excellent, Kevin. Yes, quick delivery.

I also LOVE the Curve and am amazed that I am getting used to the trackball. I picked up my 8700 and it still was easier for me - just having used it so much more - I will survive. I do the functionality of the trackball as well. The keyboard is better than I thought it would be. Not perfect but what is I am now over the lack of case shock however, it took a day or so

I'm looking forward to your ongoing review and yap, sounds like you also have made a new and wonderful friend in the Curve....Write to "Dear Berry" if things get out of control
    06-06-07 08:20 PM
    Kevin,
    I noticed the same thing about my curve that the keys actually wiggle plus if you push inward with both thumbs on each end the 2 center rows of keys will actually buckle upward and tilt to the side.
    06-06-07 11:18 PM
    My keys wiggle a tiny bit but no problems with the construction that I can see. Loving my device so far. Just installed Beyond411! Thanks for whomever made that suggestion last week.

KL
    06-07-07 12:20 AM

I unlocked the at&t Curve thru Old Cingular SIM card into access the MEPE menu. Then I removed old cingular simard from curve. I put my tmobile sim card into the curve. Its great work!

let me tell you somethings, you will not able to unlock att curve without att/ cing sim card. because you will need a Cingular or ATT SIM card in order to access the MEPE menu where it will unlock. Otherwise, non-att/cingluar simcard can't access and read by AT&T Curve's the MEPE menu nor show MEPE menu on there, Like happened to me before.

Good Luck!

Addtion, 8700g is wider than 8300's wide:

Last edited by VIDGMER; 06-07-07 at 12:51 AM.
    06-07-07 12:24 AM
    great post!!
    you speak about the curves weight and feel
    this make sme want to know... kind of a wierd question...
    what was the weight of the package on the UPS statement?
    06-07-07 12:36 AM
    NO SIM CARD..and it unlocked perfectly. First try. No problems.

Maybe the key thing here was that the phone never ever had a sim card in it. The first time I turned it on, I went through the setup wizard and just skipped the email set-up step. My Unlock code arrived in the email. I went to the Advanced Options > SIM Card menu, hit ALT MEPE, then typed in the code I was provided with. Unlocked. AND DONE. I'm now up and running on Rogers!

let me tell you somethings, you will not able to unlock att curve without att/ cing sim card. because you will need a Cingular or ATT SIM card in order to access the MEPE menu where it will unlock. Otherwise, non-att/cingluar simcard can't access and read by AT&T Curve's the MEPE menu nor show MEPE menu on there, Like happened to me before.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by CrackBerry Kevin; 06-08-07 at 09:08 AM.
    06-08-07 08:56 AM
    UPS stated weight on the package was 2lbs. But I bet the actual weight was less....

great post!!
    you speak about the curves weight and feel
    this make sme want to know... kind of a wierd question...
    what was the weight of the package on the UPS statement?
    06-08-07 09:09 AM
    Posting to the CrackBerry WAP forums from my BlackBerry Curve. Typing on it is quite easy and fast. The spacing between the keys definitely helps to improve stroke accuracy. Keyboard is a bit narrow though - I like the added width in the 8700. Getting used to the trackball - raising the trackball sensitivity up to 80 from the default of 70 made a huge difference. Might even go up to 90 on the horizontal scroll. Not having a case is driving me crazy. I'm a big fan of the standard hard case that the 8700 had. With no case yet I don't really want to even carry the Curve around with me just yet. Where do I put it? In my pocket? Always keep it in my hand? What's the solution??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by CrackBerry Kevin; 06-08-07 at 01:01 PM.
    06-08-07 12:06 PM
    I totally agree! Not having a case come with it, left me scratcing my head. I had an extra one for my 8800, so that's what I've been using so far. I love this phone! I switched from the 8800 and prefer this phone much more. This phone has a few upgrades (adside form the camera), that the 8800 doesn't.

I hope you keep enjoying your Curve!!!!

06-08-07 01:56 PM
    Not saying anyone is lying here so here me out...

Normally when doing the Alt MEPD it will request a Sim Card to allow a code to be entered. It needed this in the past as the BB can be use with the Wireless off. Maybe the Curve is in a new tradition now with regards unlocking.

06-08-07 03:29 PM
    So what is the SOUND like? My pearl is louder with the new backing I got, but I think I have it up as loud as it can go, and it's still hard to hear, compared to my other phones which can actually STARTLE me when they ring. I mean the pearl tells me it's on "loud", but I've listened, and that is not loud by any definition I have--so what's the curve's ringers sound like?
    06-08-07 10:27 PM
    I think the ringer is plenty loud. To me, it sounds better than the Pearl.
    06-09-07 05:49 AM
    Just ordered and received the black "Skin" for my new curve, directly from Blackberry. It fits SOOOO nicely and looks fantastic! I don't feel like it's so bound to slip out of my hand and fall (and break) now that the skin is on. Maybe it's a false sense of security. In any case, I keep it with me now all the time (pocket, purse, in the car, etc). It's $10 only and it was at my doorstep 2 days after I ordered it (along with a spare battery).

Just a thought....

Katherine
    06-09-07 01:53 PM
    I have the black skin as well, and agree with you about it feeling safer. I ordered mine from forum member chinesecatt. She carries lots of OEM accessories for much cheaper than what you'll find on the BB website.

eSHOPlimited.com - Your one place to buy authentic BRAND NEW OEM accessories
    06-09-07 02:06 PM
    Very nice!
    Though, why exactly did you buy a Cingular Curve to use on Rogers network when they offer one themselves?
    06-11-07 09:37 PM
    When I bought it on AT&T/Cingular it wasn't yet available on Rogers....and Rogers was "saying" it would most likely be available in July - not the second week of June. So figured I'd beat the Rogers Curve....didn't beat it by much, but beat it I did!

Very nice!
    Though, why exactly did you buy a Cingular Curve to use on Rogers network when they offer one themselves?
    06-11-07 10:31 PM
    Gotcha, that's some great info; I'm thinking of bringing a Cingular Curve in for a friend - apparently AT&T will terminate the line if he uses it primarily in Canada, true? Even if he uses mainly data on my unlimited global data plan with just a few minutes of voice per month?
    If so, all I have to do is remove my Cingular SIM card, give him the unlocked Curve, and he can get a Rogers SIM card & have a local voice + data plan after I call AT&T/Cingular & have them deregister the PIN/IMEI from the AT&T BIS website?
    06-13-07 12:18 AM
    I AM A NEW BERRY USER HAD ONE SINCE THE PEARL LAUNCH WITH AT&T

I HAVE HAD THE 8100, USED THE 8800 AND NOW HAVE THE 8300.
    AS SOON AS A NEW ONE LAUNCHES I WILL MOST LIKLEY GET IT TOO.

MY CURVE IS ONE OF THE BEST PHONES THAT I HAVE EVER USED.
    THE ONLY THINGS THAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE FROM IT ARE 3G, VIDEO CAPTURE, BUILT IN GPS AND A DAMN CASE IN THE BOX( I AM USING THE ONE FROM THE 8800 TOO).
    THE OVERALL USEABLITY OF THE CURVE IS WONDERFUL. I LOVE THE DESKTOP FOLDER OPTION THAT WAS NOT ON MY PEARL

06-13-07 09:22 AM
    "...DESKTOP FOLDER OPTION", what's that for, Movekwik2002?
    06-13-07 09:25 AM
    Hello all! I was wondering does the blackberry curve fit in pockets? Im currently using a Razr phone lol and will upgrade in the next couple days and get either the Pearl or Curve. I know the pearl fits easily in pockets but havent heard to much about the Curve. Thanks in advance
    06-18-07 05:40 PM
    Hmm, how small is your pocket? LOL - it does fit. Unless you're asking about a particular pocket, like the pocket within a pocket on a pair of jeans...
    06-18-07 06:40 PM
    My Curve fits nicely in my "pocket in a pocket" in my jeans, the pocket usually reserved for my Zippo. That should give you an idea of how compact these things are.
    06-19-07 08:16 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD