so i was trying to dump my kids pool yesterday in the front yard and BAM in a went phone and all i was quick as lightning yanking it off my belt clip and taking it apart then i stuck it in a bag of rice over night hopefully this helps a little the screen sporatically dims and flickers but thats about it sound and all still work i have a question though i use smrtguard if i have to get a replacement and reinstall smrtguard will i be able to just upload all of my contacts and stuff from their site

Im really hoping i dont have to replace it
    06-07-09 07:57 AM
    I think the rice thing is supposed to sit for 48hrs....I saw an article on BBGeeks about it.

Good luck!
    06-07-09 09:27 PM
    Don't attempt to turn it on untl it's totally dry. And make sure the battery is not in the device. You might short it out, and permanently fry it.

I speak from experience, dropped a RAZR in the pool about 4 years ago. I pulled the battery, heated with a hair dryer for about 2 hours, and stuck it in rice for a few days. The phone is still working to this day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-09 09:39 PM
    Sad to say but your days are numbered. Chlorine is a corrosive.
    It is a matter of time before your phone fails. If you have insurance
    now would be a good time to process a claim.
    06-07-09 10:13 PM
    well i left it in the rice for 24 hrs and it works just fine and no there was no chlorine in the pool it was a kiddy pool that was just filled with water from outside and i started it up and it works just fine there are red stripes everywhere on the battery and everything lol but it works just perfect and im glad hopefully it holds out till an upgrade lol
    06-10-09 09:08 AM
    The red stripes are normal on the battery, it's when those red stripes bleed into the white parts when you're in trouble.

Did you put the phone directly into the rice? I've had water problems with my phone three times now, and I'd put it in an empty ziplock, opened, and then put that open ziplock in a bag filled with rice, and seal the outside one. I'd be careful if you put it directly in, maybe take a can of compressed air and blow some of the dust/particles out.

I've gotten lucky with my BB, it should have died 3 times already and the rice trick definitely works. I left it in there 48 hours for one really bad time, only 24 hours the two other times.
    06-10-09 09:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD