I was thinking about updating to 4.5 but I have never done it before. W wanted to know what I needed to do and how hard it is. Is it worth it or should I just wait till verizon releases it. What is the diff. between what i can get now and what verizon will relese?
    08-29-08 08:05 PM
    It is not hard but you really should get to know your device and
    maybe check out some of the how to threads.

Also, you really will not gain much by doing the upgrade from
    4.3 to 4.5.
    08-29-08 08:08 PM
    You can search around for the features of 4.5. As you know, there's not an official version released yet for VZW users. Sure, you can try to install a beta 4.5 if you want... But know what you're getting into.

You run the risk of bricking your phone. Downside? You've got to wipe and reinstall. Do a backup before you try this and you may not lose everything. Or... you mess it up beyond help and you have to go back to VZW for help. Then you can try to explain how you want your BB fixed and/or replaced after you tried to install a beta OS on it. Good luck with that.

I know VZW is the slowest business on the planet to release new stuff. They're busy behind the scenes making sure we can't get our GPS, so give them time.

Your call. If you're asking "how hard is it", you probably don't want to mess around trying it.
    08-29-08 08:09 PM
    Thanks! but what are the diff. of the two? and what will be missing if i dont get it fron verizon?
    08-29-08 08:10 PM
    thanks, i think i should just wait. Does anyone know when verizon will relese it?
    08-29-08 08:14 PM
    Does anyone know when verizon will relese it?
    Funny you should ask - I just got off the phone with VZW customer support.

They said "soon."

Then again, that's what they said when I called to ask when the Curve was coming....

And when the 4.0 version of VZ Navigator was coming....

And the Thunder/Storm....
    08-29-08 08:17 PM
    Idk when they will release it but I have the 8330 from them and I did the upgrade to 4.5 and couldnt be happier. It was extremely easy. I suggest it.
    08-29-08 08:18 PM
    You really don't need it if you got it from Verizon. The main reason people wanted it was for HTML Email. You can buy an app for 30 bucks which will blow the HTML version away on the 4.5 os. You already have video, you tube and everything else. Me personally. when Verizon comes out with it, I'm not upgrading. I've been there and done that already.
    08-29-08 09:08 PM
    If you're asking questions like "when are they going to release it" and others that indicate that you're not as adventurous or knowledgeable as others around here, I'd suggest you think about whether the upgrade is worth it for you. Unless there is something compelling (I needed native doc reading, especially PDF) then it's not worthwhile. There is very little difference between 4.3 and 4.5 except for a lot of hype. If you aren't comfortable with a lot of tech experimenting, it's simply not worth the upgrade. Expect some blips and the need to upgrade again eventually. I have the latest. It works pretty well but there are some issues and 4.3 was definitely faster.
    08-29-08 11:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD