Okay...

I just bought a new BB Curve yesterday for Sprint PCS. All is going great...except my phone prefers to roam instead of using native Sprint signal.

I have set the device to "Home" only, instead of Automatic and will it still go to Digital Roaming. I cannot figure it out. My phone will say "Digital Roaming" but the home SID is still Sprint...and does not show the roaming triangle...

If I set my phone to "Roam Only" - my phone will actually go to Roam, pick up the Alltel SID and show the Roaming triangle...

My PRL is current, so...any ideas...???

It only does it at my place of work, which I know has not good Sprint signal, but my HTC Touch used to work just fine. The Moto RAZR and Sanyo 3100 on Sprint that I have are all holding Sprint signal just fine...so I am kinda confused.

Normally, I would not care about this, but I text a lot and the roaming agreements where I am at do not allow for texting (Alltel)

Any ideas here...? It's killing my battery life constantly switching networks...I notice the signal bar will go to 1XEV to 1x to 1X - and under Mobile Status, will saying "Digitial Roaming" but with a roaming SID.

Is my phone messed up or what?

It is a Sprint Curve...
    10-22-08 11:46 AM
    Does anyone have any insight to this?
    10-23-08 03:01 PM
    Where did you get the information about texting not being allowed on the roaming agreement? Texting is commonly included with any voice agreement, only data will be excluded.
    10-23-08 03:04 PM
    It's the way it is set up here...

Alltel does not allow it. It is the same with any other phone I have. (Palm Centro, Moto Razr, Sanyo 3100). Once it roams on Alltel, it will not send a text message...which really, REALLY stinks...

It will do such on VZW, but not Alltel...
    10-23-08 03:06 PM
    Sorry, Miller, I'll check into it for you but I have no idea right now. I'll post later, hopefully with some info..
    10-23-08 03:09 PM
    Well I appreciate it...I don't care about the texting issue, I just am wondering about the battery life and network selection issue...
    10-23-08 03:14 PM
    My new Curve keeps doing the same thing... I have no idea what its doing. It might be because data hasn't provisioned yet? I don't know... its weird though. I have mine set to Home Only too and it keeps going to Digital Roaming...
    10-30-08 03:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD