Hi Everyone,
    I am having problems charging and sync my bb with my laptop. When I connect the USB cable it shows it is charging for a few seconds and then it stops charging. I thought the cable was damaged, so I got a new one but I am still having the same problem. Any Idea why??
    Pls Help
    Thanks
    04-11-08 08:26 PM
    I would guess that you have bent one of the pins in you bb.
    04-11-08 08:33 PM
    if you dont have the desktop manager installed on your laptop it wont recharge your phone. Goto BlackBerry n look for the newest desktop manager download it to your laptop n when its all ready to go you should be able to recharge it then. Let me no how it goes
    04-11-08 08:35 PM
    oh make sure you setup the dm not jus download it i had this problem too it should help
    04-11-08 08:37 PM
    I dont think thats the case cause i am able to charge through the charger
    04-11-08 08:41 PM
    I have a desktop manager installed. This problem just started 2 days back, everything was fine till then.
    04-11-08 08:43 PM
    i would try to see if your phone is covered under warranty
    04-11-08 08:45 PM
    hmmmmm try uninstalling the desktop manager do a battery pull then reinstall the manager n plug it in then
    04-11-08 08:46 PM
    OK. Lets try that and c if it works
    04-11-08 08:51 PM
    if that doesnt help then do a master reset it will format and return everything to factory settings.

ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR PHONE BEFORE MASTER RESET OR ANYTHING U MIGHT THINK WILL ERASE EVERYTHING
    04-11-08 08:54 PM
    This question has been floating around for a while now in several threads. I have just tried my 8100 on 4 seperate computers and 3 seperate USB wall chargers.

My Dell laptop with DM installed - USB charging works
    Noname desktop PC #1, no DM - USB charging fails
    USB powered hub - USB charging fails
    (I have 2 the same and tested both)
    Noname desktop PC #2, - USB charging failed and then worked later -wierd.
    (connect direct to USB port)
    Noname desktop PC #3, - USB charging fails but see attached pic
    (connect direct to USB port)
    USB wall charger #1 - USB charging fails
    USB wall charger #2 - USB charging fails
    USB wall charger #3 - USB charging works

I also used several USB cables to test on each PC. All my USB cables gave the same results.

It would seems that the following is true:
    - it does not matter if DM is installed or not.
    - USB ports, hubs and wall chargers are highly variable in their outputs.
    - BBs require 'very good', no definition as yet, power in order to charge successfully.

USB ports are designed, and limited to, 500mA (half an Amp, 0.5A) at 5 volts. It would appear that BBs need this as a minimum.

Conclusions:
    Test several USB wall chargers for reliable and continuous charging.
    Likewise PC USB ports.
    A careful test of powered (with wall charger) USB hubs for reliable chargng is required.
    Probably the best way to charge a BB is via the original BB wall charger.

I am not happy about what I found and will do more testing with a voltmeter and an ammeter. However this requires use of a soldering iron and I have to go shopping today and don't have time right now.

Pete
    04-12-08 04:42 AM
    You should install some separate Blackberry software on your PC. It can be found on Blackberry.com, go to where you would normally download BB Desktop 4.3 software, it's a separate download named USB and modem drivers, this should fix your charging problems. This:

"BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers" (English)
    File name: BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers (English).msi
    File size: 12 MB
    Last edited by Berryman; 04-12-08 at 08:37 AM.
    04-12-08 06:58 AM
    Guys I have tried all the solutions you'll suggested but no luck. Any other solution?? I cant to a hard reset or wipe handheld cause i can't do a back up
    Pls Help A.S.A.P
    Thanks
    04-13-08 03:26 PM
    My problem is not charging alone. I can charge with the wall charger but how do I sync if the desktop manager can't find my device?
    04-13-08 03:32 PM
    Try uninstalling DM, re-booting the PC and then re-installing the latest verion. Maybe this will help.
    04-13-08 03:37 PM
    Done that, I even installed the USB modem but still did not work.
    04-13-08 03:41 PM
    Done that but still did not work I even installed a USB modem driver from bb website but that made the desktop manager disappear, so I re installed the desktop manger but it does not c my bb.
    Any other ideas pls???
    04-13-08 03:48 PM
    The next step depends on how good you are with a PC. It also depends on what changes you have made to your PC recently.

XP has the ability to undo system changes without losing you own files UNLESS they are on the Desktop. To do this, click Start, Help and Support, Undo changes to your computer with System Restore. Follow the prompts and select a date that seems reasonable based upon what was done to your PC.

I know this sounds abit vague but I cannot see you PC from here and they are all a little bit different.

Good luck.
    04-13-08 03:53 PM
    I use Vista. How to do that with Vista?
    Last edited by Kings; 04-13-08 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Sent same message again
    04-13-08 05:00 PM
    In Vista, the system Restore function accessed fastest by typing rstrui or restore in the Start menu search box. This will launch the Wizard directly.

What you are doing is to restore your system 'to an earlier time'. This means that any system changes (updates, program installs, etc.) will be lost. You will not lost and documents, pictures, music etc. that are stored in you document folders.

The problem with System Restore is that you need to go back just far enough to clean up your problem and no further. Vista backs up when it thinks it needs to and not when you want it to (unless you do it manually).

You need to remeber when you started to have problems with connecting your BB and go back on the restore calendar (it shows month by month) to just before you had trouble.

I fix computers for a living and I do not normally reccomend people undertake this kind of operation unless they are aware of exactly what they are doing because System Restore will do just that. If you installed any programs after the selected System Restore date WILL BE ERASED.

I hate to say this to you but I can take no responsibility for your system or any loss you may experience by doing this. I say this not because of any risk, it is just that I REALLY would like to see your system and I cannot.

This said, System Restore is a Microsoft utility and as such, is safe ro users to use. Just be careful about the date you pick and you will be fine.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete6; 04-13-08 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spellng corrections
    04-13-08 06:30 PM
    This may be way too simple, but you have tried a different usb a lot right? On my pc some will work with my berry and others won't. On occasion it will start and then stop charging but rebooting my pc and berry have fixed it. Just thought I'd suggest another simple solution before getting into system restores.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-08 06:38 PM
    Slot not a lot. Berry belch

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-08 06:38 PM
    Nice thoughts Erik. You are right, try A, try B, try C. We are a ways down this route unfortunately. I would never have suggested a System Restore unless we had run out of ideas. DM has been uninstalled and re-installed.

I think - without seeing the system - that the USB drivers has gotten messed up and hopefully a System Restore to just before they stopped working will fix the problem.

If you have any other ideas, believe me, they are welcome.

Pete
    04-13-08 06:57 PM
    I just tried that and it said there is no restore point created on this computer. It said create a restore point so I did.
    What now?
    04-13-08 09:35 PM
    Performing a full system restore is an overkill, and you could very easily just add problems to your current ones.

Have you tried going into your PC's Device Manager, then delete all entries under Universal Serial Bus Controllers - remove all USB cables, then reboot your PC, then reattach USB cables/devices.
    04-14-08 01:59 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD