Hello Folks,

Great site you have here.
    I finally cracked and orderd a Curve from my longtime carrier Verizon, with the basic 5gb data plan. Should have it tomorrow and I am stoked. Reading everything possible about it....

One question - Is there a way (hack or crack) that I can get the GPS working outsie of big brother Verizon's grasp?
    thanks in advance.

ps
    as a person with an obsessive personality, i expect to be at this site for a while !!
    08-21-08 12:41 PM
    ps
    as a person with an obsessive personality, i expect to be at this site for a while !!
    you can obsess over the multitude of threads dedicated to discussing verizon's lockdown of the GPS.

No hack or workaround other than getting a bluetooth puck and pairing that way. The Freedom 2000 is a popular one. (available through the CrackBerry.com store as well)
    08-21-08 12:44 PM
    nope the a-holes cripple it to force you to pay for it. there are 3rd party apps and pucks that will use triangulation and get you close though
    Welcome to CrackBerry! Your addiction has only just begun... muahahaha

To use GPS on the VZW Curve you either need to pay for VZNav or buy an external GPS puck and use that
    VZW Nav is the only thing you can use with Verizon but do what other suggested.
    08-21-08 01:47 PM
    welcome to CB!
    08-21-08 01:59 PM
    Google Maps works with mine. Just got it and downloaded the Map Apps from google mobile site.

It can off by about 500 yards if I'm not outside.
    08-21-08 02:19 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-08 02:20 PM
    Hello Folks,

Great site you have here.
    I finally cracked and orderd a Curve from my longtime carrier Verizon, with the basic 5gb data plan. Should have it tomorrow and I am stoked. Reading everything possible about it....

One question - Is there a way (hack or crack) that I can get the GPS working outsie of big brother Verizon's grasp?
    thanks in advance.

ps
    i wouldn't bother paying for the monthly VZnavi service IMO. at $10 a month, you're spending $120 a year. if you need it at any given time, it is $4 for a 24 hour period from time of purchase.
    not to mention that the VZnavi on the current blackberry's are of the older VZnavi version which leaves much to be desired.
    purchasing the key/puck will run you from about $70-$100. in the long run saving you money.

all in all, i get by using google maps, texting google directions or if i really need to have it in the case that i do not know where i am & need to get somewhere with the least amount of time wasted, i pay the $4. that being said, i am also a bit spoiled with navi in my car

yes it sucks, yeah it's our fault for buying the curve, but it's only a matter of time until verizon comes around these days... :||
    Last edited by ennTOXX; 08-23-08 at 12:06 AM.
    08-23-08 12:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD