um why is this?
    08-15-08 11:38 PM
    The wifi is only available on the T-mobile 8320. I think each carrier had a choice GPS or wifi. Most chose GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-08 11:59 PM
    The wifi is only available on the T-mobile 8320. I think each carrier had a choice GPS or wifi. Most chose GPS.

Incorrect... T-mo has the 8320, 8120, and 8820 with wifi and At&t has 8820 and 8120 with wifi.

For some reason, only GSM carriers have wifi. Maybe CDMA and wifi just does not blend well.
    08-16-08 12:04 AM
    Sorry, I was only talking about the curve series. I often forget about the other models out there. Although I guess we would both be wrong since Sprint is supposed to have 8350i coming out with wifi and gps.

08-16-08 12:15 AM
    Sorry, I was only talking about the curve series. I often forget about the other models out there. Although I guess we would both be wrong since Sprint is supposed to have 8350i coming out with wifi and gps.

Yeah I mistunderstood. I did not know you were referring to Curves only.
    08-16-08 12:21 AM
    I think the companies that don't offer WiFi are shortchanging their customers. I was surprised by how available WiFi is - and with it free minutes for me - before I signed up for the @home service, I had my minutes used down to about 200 a month. I have also noticed UTube works very well with wifi.

08-16-08 12:39 AM
    Incorrect... T-mo has the 8320, 8120, and 8820 with wifi and At&t has 8820 and 8120 with wifi.

For some reason, only GSM carriers have wifi. Maybe CDMA and wifi just does not blend well.
    I think it has something to do with the fact that the CDMA radio is larger than the GSM radio, as well as the fact that I believe CDMA and WiFi would interfere with each other. The Nextel curve works on the iDen standard, which is different than the CDMA of Sprint. Also, the 8350i also appears to be much thicker than the others.

You'll also note that the 8330 from Verizon and Sprint have EV-DO data speeds. These are much faster than the EDGE networks that T-Mo and AT&T work on. Therefore, the wi-fi can be used to get faster data speeds.

Also, T-Mo needs the WiFi for it's T-Mobile at home service for UMA calling.
    08-16-08 01:02 AM
    or, CDMA carriers think that their EVDO is sufficient enough (it isnt) to support streaming video and audio...... which is a violation of TOS for VZW, and they use the 5GB cap as a gauge for whether or not one is streaming media. I have the PAM with VZW and in one light session of use, for 60 minutes, I used roughly 300 MB of data. And that was a speedtest, emails (that were some FWDs and pictures, and linking to embedded media on websites), and a couple of media (CNN/ABC News/MSNBC) sites.

If I did that everyday for 30 days I'd be at around 9GB/month.

So, using the internet 0.13% of a month (1 divided by 24 divided by 30) gets you 9GB of use...... how sufficient is that to support what one would need to do, especially if you are in a job that is connected 24/7 and were sending and receiving spreadsheets/word docs/pictures/etc?????
    08-16-08 01:25 AM
    or, CDMA carriers think that their EVDO is sufficient enough (it isnt) to support streaming video and audio...... which is a violation of TOS for VZW, and they use the 5GB cap as a gauge for whether or not one is streaming media. I have the PAM with VZW and in one light session of use, for 60 minutes, I used roughly 300 MB of data. And that was a speedtest, emails (that were some FWDs and pictures, and linking to embedded media on websites), and a couple of media (CNN/ABC News/MSNBC) sites.

If I did that everyday for 30 days I'd be at around 9GB/month.

So, using the internet 0.13% of a month (1 divided by 24 divided by 30) gets you 9GB of use...... how sufficient is that to support what one would need to do, especially if you are in a job that is connected 24/7 and were sending and receiving spreadsheets/word docs/pictures/etc?????
    wow...i'm really not sure what to say in response to that...have some anger issues with Verizon bud? Just kidding. I never bought my blackberry to be a streaming media device, so I guess it doesn't bother me. And how is it a violation of VZWs TOS? And why does it matter if someone is streaming with the 5GB cap?
    08-16-08 01:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD