Hi all,

I've seen a number of posts on getting UMA troubleshot on an 8320. I've read all of those that I can find on this site and others, I've got all of the symptoms of non-working UMA (as described here: https://support.t-mobile.com/knowbas.../tm23496.htm#1) and have:
    • upgraded (actually, had to downgrade) to the newest version of the OS supported by Tmo 4.2.2.180

• Restarted, battery pulled, enabled and disabled Wi-Fi numerous times.

I feel like I've reached the end of what I'm able to get from Tmo, RIM won't offer any support and I'm just trying to figure out whether there is something else that needs to be pushed to the device to get UMA working (seems likely, given I don't even get the contextual UMA/wificalling settings menus when in wi-fi diagnostics.)

I'm at my wits end and about to throw in the towel, but I'm hoping that one last try asking the folks on here might yield something.

Anyone?
    Last edited by Xuli; 03-12-08 at 02:52 PM.
    03-12-08 09:54 AM
    Have you tried to connect your Curve to a different router? I know that UMA will not work with routers such a Airport Express.
    03-12-08 02:35 PM
    Could you explain the problem you are having when attempting to get UMA to work? I'm just thinking it could be an issue with whichever router you are trying to connect to.
    03-12-08 02:41 PM
    ... this has happened across my home network, other home networks with other routers as well as the enterprise-class Cisco access points at my office.

the only router for which I can verify things like IPSec are being passed through is my own router, which is a Trendnet TEW-432BRP.
    03-12-08 02:43 PM
    the problem is that the "UMA" indicator does not show up, and the phone exhibits all of the issues listed here (https://support.t-mobile.com/knowbas.../tm23496.htm#1) as noted in my original post.
    03-12-08 02:44 PM
    Have you tried toggle the wifi on and of a few times? Does it actually connect to the wireless network (should say the network name in place of Tmobile)? In the manage connections dialog does the wifi option have a green circle with a checkmark or a yellow circle with a minus sign?
    03-12-08 02:52 PM
    Again, as mentioned above, I've toggled wifi multiple times, I do connect to, and authenticate to multiple wifi networks on a regular basis using the wifi radio for messages and everything other than voice or SMS, due to the seeming lack of UMA functionality.
    03-12-08 04:18 PM
    So wifi data works without problem... Have you attempted to place a call even though it does not say UMA?
    03-12-08 04:33 PM
    Yeah, when I do I get call failed, SMS messages also get hung up received failure on a "protocol error" in most cases.

I have reached out to RIM, however, and given that I have a MFR direct device, I apparently need a T Mo "blessed" device in order to use WiFi calling, which I was hoping was not the case.
    03-26-08 02:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD