I can't figure this out. I bought two used 8330s on eBay; one can send and receive SMS text messages, but the other can only receive - it can't send. There is no option to send an SMS text message.

When I click on the short menu, I see: Mark Prior Opened, Compose Email, Compose Pin, Full Menu.

On the full menu, I see the same options to compose email or pin, but nothing to compose SMS text.

My carrier is Verizon, and they told me I had to download the OS again, that the option for texting on this device was removed. I didn't have access to my computer, so I called the tech support for the company from which I purchased the phone. He suggested I wipe the device, which I did, but that didn't work.

Now that I have computer access again, I downloaded the newest OS for the 8330 - v5. I still don't have the option to SMS text. I can still receive SMS texts though.

I'm a BB newbie, so I'm not sure what else I need to do. It's very frustrating, but I can't even return the phone because I'm past the 30 days due to my son being in the NICU. I can't afford a new phone - please help!
    07-10-11 10:35 PM
    Go to Options / Status and type the letters BUYR. You won't see the letters echoed on the screen. If two additional lines referring to Data Usage IT Policy and Voice Usage IT Policy appear on the screen, then the used phone you bought has an IT Policy on it that is most likely prohibiting the SMS function. If that's the case, you can remove the policy using this procedure, created by Forums Moderator Pete6: Removing an IT Policy from a BlackBerry phone.
    dissy78 likes this.
    07-10-11 11:00 PM
    Thank you SO much! That's exactly what was wrong with the phone, and while I had to troubleshoot the Crack Util program, I finally got that to work and fixed our phone. You don't know how excited I am right now - thank you!!
    07-11-11 12:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD